Dan Hartman (December 8, 1950 - March 22, 1994)
Add Reply
Matthew Kruk
2020-05-16 08:21:53 UTC
Hartman died on March 22, 1994, at his Westport, Connecticut, home from an
AIDS-related brain tumor.

We lost so many good souls to HIV and now we're losing more to COVIND-19.

Damn that virus.
Terry del Fuego
2020-05-16 13:28:35 UTC
Post by Matthew Kruk
We lost so many good souls to HIV and now we're losing more to COVIND-19.
One of the first things that came into my head with the recent virus
is the completely different attitude of the public. When AIDS hit, The
Stupid People were absolutely convinced that it spread through casual
contact despite the complete lack of even the slightest evidence. So
there was occasional talk of quarantine camps (e.g., LaRouche) and
just general fear.

Now we've got something that spreads through contact that doesn't even
rise to the mere level of "casual", has killed tens of thousands in
just months, has "preferences" but still routinely kills the young and
healthy...and the reaction in a lot of places is a shrug or "But what
about my freedom to kill my parents?" (Not, of course, that it's ever
phrased that honestly.)
Kenny McCormack
2020-05-16 15:43:32 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Matthew Kruk
We lost so many good souls to HIV and now we're losing more to COVIND-19.
One of the first things that came into my head with the recent virus
is the completely different attitude of the public. When AIDS hit, The
Stupid People were absolutely convinced that it spread through casual
contact despite the complete lack of even the slightest evidence. So
there was occasional talk of quarantine camps (e.g., LaRouche) and
just general fear.
Because it fits and advances their anti-gay agenda.
Post by Terry del Fuego
Now we've got something that spreads through contact that doesn't even
rise to the mere level of "casual", has killed tens of thousands in
just months, has "preferences" but still routinely kills the young and
healthy...and the reaction in a lot of places is a shrug or "But what
about my freedom to kill my parents?" (Not, of course, that it's ever
phrased that honestly.)
I guess the short answer is: Stupid People gotta stupid.
--
The difference between communism and capitalism?
In capitalism, man exploits man. In communism, it's the other way around.

- Daniel Bell, The End of Ideology (1960) -
Terry del Fuego
2020-05-17 14:52:53 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Because it fits and advances their anti-gay agenda.
Sure, that was part of it. But the actual fear was genuine: A subset
of the population really believed they were going to get AIDS, suffer
and die. They were wrong, but the belief was (at least for some)
sincere.

Today we know that the current virus is going to infect a large number
of people and many of them will suffer and die, but before that
they'll infect others. And while the last I saw, something like 75% of
the country understands that it can't be business as usual for the
forseeable future, there's a shockingly large chunk of idiots who seem
to be absolutely convinced that it's either no big deal or an outright
hoax. This despite the fact that a non-zero number of them are making
headlines when they either get really sick or, you know, *die*.

It's hard to judge time lately, but a while back there were at least
two different brainless nobodies posting videos of themselves *licking
toilets* because COVID was overhyped or something. At least one of
them wound up in the hospital, I don't know about the other. And I
don't know the final outcome of the hospitalized one.
Post by Kenny McCormack
I guess the short answer is: Stupid People gotta stupid.
Yeah, but this one just shocks me. Probably nothing should any more,
but this does. I have the advantage of years of brilliant misanthropy
and beautiful hatred of those who perpetuate the species, so I'm not
going to slit my wrists over it, but it still shocks me.
l***@yahoo.com
2020-05-17 19:19:46 UTC
Terry, if you're reading...

I posted what you said at Amy Alkon's blog. Naturally, no one dared to say "yes, it's my right to put my parents' lives in danger if I want."

But I thought this was worth posting here anyway.

http://www.advicegoddess.com/archives/2020/05/adults-should-b-1.html#comments

My posts started yesterday at 3:06 pm. (Check out what I predicted as to how soon the COVID deaths in the US should end, mathematically speaking - IF the states stay closed a while longer.)

Ken R (a psychiatric nurse, IIRC) responded to Terry's words today at 5:04 am.

I'm not prepared to tackle the WWII analogy.

However, I do think it's silly to bring the Civil War into this, as he did. Why? Because, if I remember my history correctly, Lincoln never had any intention of going to war to end slavery (he thought, as many did, that slavery would die out naturally) and the only reason he did declare war was that when he took the oath of office, he had no choice but to defend the Union. So it's not as though he thought sending hundreds of thousands of people to their deaths was "worth it," since it wasn't his fault anyway.

2020-05-17 22:05:51 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Ken R (a psychiatric nurse, IIRC) responded to Terry's words today at 5:04 am.
And I gave him all the careful consideration he deserved. He started
off with a ridiculous lie and just kept going. The whole reason I
referred to those scared of getting AIDS via casual contact as
"stupid" was because *my* memory of the time is exactly the opposite
of what he claims. I wasn't scared of casual contact in large part
because I never encountered that alleged media-frenzy doomsday
scenario that he references. I have ZERO memory of the mainstream ever
telling anyone outside of what became known as the risk groups that
they needed to panic. If anything, mainstream "thought" quickly became
"If you're gay, you're doomed, if you aren't, don't sweat it." As we
eventually learned, that went too far in the direction opposite to his
claims.
Post by l***@yahoo.com
However, I do think it's silly to bring the Civil War into this, as he did.
But it gave Ken R a chance to say "Democrats" and pretend that the
policies of the respective political parties in 1860 have any bearing
on today's.

That Derek
2020-05-16 17:01:37 UTC
Dan Hartman ... ?

After 25 years, this hardly constitutes an "Instant Replay."
Adam H. Kerman
2020-05-16 17:04:23 UTC
http://youtu.be/621Nk3Ubz4A
We lost so many good souls to HIV and now we're losing more to COVIND-19.
Damn that virus.
The two viruses aren't comparable in any way.

People died of AIDS who had received blood transfusions but once the
blood supply was cleaned up, that stopped happening. The rest? Bodily
fluids weren't so easily spread with condom use and I'm not sure that
merely kissing and nothing else spread AIDS to any significant number of
people. Condom use would have prevented something like 95% of
transmissions, or higher if cunnilingus were avoided.

Give us a fucking break, ok?

COVID-19 is virulent like measles although they haven't proved that
there's any significant infections among people who touched surfaces
some time later, unlike with measles. It is absolutely unlike how
HIV was spread.