Paul Sarbanes 1933-2020
2020-12-07 07:12:01 UTC
The former United States Senator from Maryland,born February 3rd 1933,
died December 6th 2020 according to the Baltimore Sun and others.
I remember him on the House Watergate Committee before his five
Senate terms.

radioacti...@gmail.com
2020-12-07 13:01:45 UTC
I was set to respond that, well, at least we've still got Michael Oxley...only to learn that the GOP Rep didn't even live to see Trump elected, as the other sponsor of the much ballyhooed Sarbanes-Oxley finance reform act died on New Year's Day 2016.

Oh, and Louis: I apologize for not getting back to you after you graciously inquired awhile back about why my brother (not to mention our late parents) spelled their surname Stibal. Well, actually I DID begin drafting the full answer, but it ended up mushrooming into a ridiculously-lengthy posting [even for ol' longwinded ME!] once the tandem rationales involving both my commercial newstalk hosting AND journalististic* careers were explicated.

So rather than bombarding you and other alt-obiters with the full story, I simply cloned and saved the draft text for another journalistic purpose (intending to insert various of its many paragraphs into the text for the book-length** manuscript I'm TRYING to complete by New Year's Eve) and then just deleted the draft.

Here's the SHORT version: I got tired of people since the early '60s mispronouncing my unusual Stibal-rhymes-with-Bible family name as "Stibble" or "Sty--BALL" or other nearly-as-unpleasant-sounding iterations. So upon my fresh-showbiz-start arrival in Hollywood from Houston in June 1980, I started using Bryan Styble as my stage name***, altering the given name's spelling as well for visual symmetry purposes. (Obviously, once my professional radio career got rolling with the Metro Networks traffic-and-news reporting gig in 1982, mispronunciation of my surname became a MUCH more critical issue. Now, I MIGHT have wisely gone with some classic broadcaster's name to complement what pretty much EVERYONE has complimented me on since the early '70s, my classic radio voice...but "The Real" Don Steele was already in use.)

Decades later on Thursday, August 14, 2008, in a downtown Seattle courtroom before a Washington State judge, it was made official, as I legally became Bryan Styble (and in the process also deleting Lee, my NEVER-used middle name).

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
_______________________________
* I've published newspaper and magazine pieces on a wide range of historical, scientific, media and cultural issues AS WELL as popular music, but the only story I've REPEATEDLY returned to--because like every one of the thousands of OTHER critics who've tried, I just can't fully figure him out--is that guy with the funny nose, the funnier hair and the funniest voice.
** Title still embargoed, but it's SUBtitled: An Acolyte Assesses His Achievement.
*** Only to be immediately--and oh-so-erroneously!--accused by a few fellow followers around the globe**** of that inscrutable guy who JUST CAN'T SING--of making the change merely to emulate the Y in HIS stage name!
**** Zimmerman Blues magazine at one point or another during its 1975-80 run proudly had subscribers in about two dozen countries on every continent other than Antarctica, thanks mostly to (1) world of mouth; (2) a series of surprisingly-inexpensive classified ads in the back pages of Rolling Stone; and (3) mine just happened to be the only periodical anywhere on earth solely covering the recording artist.
Louis Epstein
2020-12-07 18:48:59 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
[...]
I must ask...is the rhyming with Bible the old-country pronunciation
or something your family adopted (and thereafter defended) in America?
Post by ***@gmail.com
as "Stibble" or "Sty--BALL" or other nearly-as-unpleasant-sounding iterations.
So upon my fresh-showbiz-start arrival in Hollywood from Houston in June 1980, I
started using Bryan Styble as my stage name***, altering the given name's spelling
as well for visual symmetry purposes. (Obviously, once my professional radio
career got rolling with the Metro Networks traffic-and-news reporting gig in 1982,
mispronunciation of my surname became a MUCH more critical issue. Now, I MIGHT
have wisely gone with some classic broadcaster's name to complement what pretty
much EVERYONE has complimented me on since the early '70s, my classic radio
voice...but "The Real" Don Steele was already in use.)
And you didn't want to be the REE-al BREE-an STEE-bul?
Post by ***@gmail.com
Decades later on Thursday, August 14, 2008, in a downtown Seattle courtroom
before a Washington State judge, it was made official, as I legally became Bryan
Styble (and in the process also deleting Lee, my NEVER-used middle name).
I've never had a middle name,nor did my father.
Post by ***@gmail.com
BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
_______________________________
radioacti...@gmail.com
2020-12-07 20:15:31 UTC
No, Louis, I didn't find the Styble-rhymes-with-Bible phrase so handily-useful until I started hosting commercial newstalk call-in radio shows in 1989; as a newsman and drive-time traffic reporter, there was of course no room for such verbal flourishes...but when you're, say, hosting "Radioactive Seattle with Bryan Styble" 1-5 am six days a week on a station whose overnight signal bounces off the ionosphere as far as southern Alaska, south to northern California, and east to the Dakotas and the Canucks' prairie provinces (as I was for a couple of the years of my 2005-2008 run on KIRO/Seatte at 710 kHz*, well, you got the airtime...plus enough additional time to, say, recite Arlo's entire Alice's Restaurant Massacree monologue, which I COULD have indeed pulled off for KIRO listeners, but never did.**

STYBLE/Florida
________________
* Even most radio buffs never notice that--rather inexplicably as far as I've been able thus far divine--the Amplitude Modulation band frequencies are correctly abbreviated kHz, whereas Frequency Modulation "freqs" are configured Mhz. Ah, for the simple old "kilocycles" days!
** Can't say the same for one boat-load of Six Flags Over Mid-America riverboat-ride patrons late one summer 1974 Tuesday night: as soon as the half-full craft with 15 or so cleared the "slippery hickory dock" and we were out of earshot of my "red-nametag" foreman, I asked my "crew"--who were the last bunch setting sail before the theme park's imminent 10 pm closing--if they wanted to hear my standard schtick (which while totally rejecting the lame Six Flags-supplied script, was still of course middle-American friendly***) or my recitation of the "Massacree" monologue, which I had never TRIED to memorize but it happened anyway, I'd played my (nowadays-late) brother's copy of the album so often. This "crew" was mostly long-hair teens, so they all wanted me to go for it. So I did, although in those days I wasn't showbiz-hip enough to realize that trying to emulate Guthrie's thin voice was a futile proposition. (I'm sure it would have sounded way better had I tried doing WOODY Guthrie's voice.) But at least I got the entire dozen-minute monologue out without missing a line, had the "crew" sing the closing chorus with me (though I was the only voice with a microphone), and then switched back to my standard closing as we completed the underwater-tracked ride's circuit, with those back on the dock apparently never getting wise. (Even though our "blue tag" senior -supervisor bosses were known to hide in a couple of the animated tableaux just to keep us from pulling such stunts!) I'm sure I would have been fired for these highjinx, but I was occasionally (and foolishly) reckless in those days. Oh, and I also was very aware that Steve Martin, my fave stand-up comedian of the era--nowadays that would be Emo Phillips or Richard Lewis--famously had as HIS first showbiz gig, captaining the corresponding riverboat ride at Disneyland!
***. My advice to all you aspiring young comics: never work blue.
Louis Epstein
2020-12-08 04:08:37 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
No, Louis, I didn't find the Styble-rhymes-with-Bible phrase so handily-useful
until I started hosting commercial newstalk call-in radio shows in 1989; as a
newsman and drive-time traffic reporter, there was of course no room for such
verbal flourishes...
My question,however,related to the history of the pronunciation itself,
not how you refer to it.

Neighbors here named Zajaczkowski pronounced it "Zadge-a-cow-ski"
but were aware that in Poland it was "Za-yahtz-kov-ski".
Post by ***@gmail.com
STYBLE/Florida
________________
* Even most radio buffs never notice that--rather inexplicably as far as I've
been able thus far divine--the Amplitude Modulation band frequencies are correctly
abbreviated kHz, whereas Frequency Modulation "freqs" are configured Mhz. Ah, for
the simple old "kilocycles" days!
It bothers me that the AM station that always called itself
"NewsRadio 88" now goes by "880".

2020-12-25 00:50:45 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by ***@gmail.com
No, Louis, I didn't find the Styble-rhymes-with-Bible phrase so handily-useful
until I started hosting commercial newstalk call-in radio shows in 1989; as a
newsman and drive-time traffic reporter, there was of course no room for such
verbal flourishes...
My question,however,related to the history of the pronunciation itself,
not how you refer to it.
Neighbors here named Zajaczkowski pronounced it "Zadge-a-cow-ski"
but were aware that in Poland it was "Za-yahtz-kov-ski".
(this question remains unanswered though Bryan has resurfaced)
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by ***@gmail.com
STYBLE/Florida