Actor Jan Skopeček, 94, in June (The Mysterious Castle in the Carpathians, 1981)
2020-07-28 21:52:26 UTC
https://www.mbs.news/en/2020/07/jan-skopecek-†-94-cried-before-his-death-everyone-leave-me.html

Translation, I think:

Skopeček started at the Slunečnice Home for the Elderly to live involuntarily four years ago. His wife Věra Tichánková († 93) died and their daughter Marie, who lives in France, decided that his father could not live alone. And Skopeček, although he gave his entire pension for a chamber with a sink and a balcony, suffered like an animal. The daughter did not visit him at all, sometimes a nephew and sometimes Ladislav Trojan appeared (87), which he played in Three Guys in his father’s cottage. In recent months, however, Skopeček has not seen any of them.
“So Jeník died? Don’t tell me that. I saw him about two months ago, I followed him. But what I can’t walk because of a sore leg, I wasn’t there, “Trojan responded to his friend’s death. “I liked him, but you know, that wasn’t the life he lived. He could hardly see at all, he moved badly, he just sat or lay, “the actor added sadly.

A year ago, Skopečka had to move from his separate mini-chamber to another floor on LDN. “Mr. Skopecek needed constant care,” Aha learned! from the sister from the Sunflower. A year ago, the actors had a mobile phone and how much he would like to talk, but he had no one to talk to. “Nobody calls me anyway! Everyone coughed at me, so what about the phone? ”Aha complained! Aries. But lately he didn’t even know what a phone was. And he stopped having fun waiting days to see if his daughter had accidentally called him. “He really did it! I am so happy for my sons. After all, she visited him about once a year, and who knows if, ”says a friend of Trojan. Loneliness tormented him the most, so he was so glad when his sister came to his room. “He never forgot to slap us at least on the ass, he was a very cute gentleman and we all felt sorry for him,” was one of the sisters to Aha! When she last visited Skopečka. We brought him buns then, he was happy with them and immediately started basting them. “Thank you, you are kind, they are like from my Věruška,” he acknowledged with pleasure.

He lived like any other boy until he was 14. In 1939, however, Skopeček’s mother, as a Jew, had to sew David’s yellow star. Two years later, Jan came to a concentration camp. First to Upper Silesia, after its dissolution and painful journey home, another awaited him. To the camp in Osterode. “I got a high fever along the way. Oldřich Nový treated me then. He had a first aid kit with him, he gave me some pills and he lent me his blanket. After arriving in Osterode, he provided me with hot water, in which I washed. He probably saved my life, “Skopeček revealed details, to whom 15 relatives disappeared during the war.
l***@yahoo.com
2020-07-28 22:01:47 UTC
He was also a playwright.

I can't seem to find any real obits in English. Plenty in Czech, though.

That movie I mentioned gets highly rated.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0804653/
(Very long filmography)

2020-07-28 22:05:02 UTC
And here's one review:

rooprect2 June 2009
9/10
Congratulate yourself. You've heard of this movie.
Nobody but nobody has heard of this movie. I just can't understand it because it's such a great little flick; if nothing else it deserves its own underground cult following. I've been trying to start one for ages, but it seems in order to drum up a cult you need people. Drat.

Anyway, this film is like a yummy stew of Terry Gilliam (Monty Python), Mel Brooks (Young Frankenstein), Rob Reiner (The Princess Bride), Jean-Pierre Jeunet (Delicatessen, City of Lost Children) and who knows, maybe some Fellini thrown in for taste. It's surreal, bizarre, funny artistic, classy and has a great underlying story by Jules Verne to feed your brain.

It's one of those films with lots of antique sets and cool retro-scifi gadgets which put you into a timeless state of mind--not exactly the past nor the future, but definitely not the present. Think of the movies Brazil or HG Wells' The Time Machine, then throw in some absolutely crazy characters: a villain who is obsessed with beards, a hero whose super power is his bellowing opera voice (if not his hyper-inflated ego), a mad scientist who sends rockets to the moon in his spare time, and a gorgeous damsel in distress who has a rather curious affliction (I won't ruin it)...

If you're into bizarre Czechoslovakian nightmares* then this is the film for you. Some of the gags are corny, but they're so corny they're classic. If nothing else, it'll be a memorable experience for you, and you can boast about being the only person in your town (in your hemisphere?) who's seen this flick.

*speaking of bizarre Czechs, you might also want to look for the films of Jan Svankmajer (Alice, Faust, Little Otik), definitely worth czeching out. Har.

(end)

2020-07-29 20:59:35 UTC
I found a few short translated death notices here:

https://www.mbs.news/?s=Skopeček

And here's the movie:

It says there are subtitles, but I didn't see any. Do you have to subscribe for that?

Reviews of the Jules Verne novel that it's based on:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1540877.The_Castle_of_the_Carpathians

Here's one:

Jul 11, 2011 C.C. Thomas rated it it was amazing

Jules Verne was such a visionary. At times, it's a little creepy. While most certainly known as the Father of Science Fiction, so much of what he wrote about would later become just another fact of our crazy world--submarines, travel by balloon, travel to the moon, etc. And here is just one more example: Verne started the vampire craze?!?

Before there was even a Dracula on the market (published in 1897), Verne had published The Castle of the Carpathians in 1893 (Carpathians don't sound nearly so scary as Transylvanians, hence, perhaps the re-release). While this book was most certainly republished to captitlize on the current paranormal fad, I'm glad. Otherwise, I might never have stumbled on this gem. Plus, if it gets people reading Jules Verne, who am I to judge?

The story ironically begins with this quote: "We are living in a time when anything can happen--one can almost say, when everything has happened. If our tale is not very likely today, it can be so tomorrow, thanks to the scientific resource that are the lot of the future...." That is still a quote any sci-fi reader or writer could take to heart, over 100 years later.

And the story itself is Victorian to the very end.

The castle in the Carpathia countryside has been vacant for years so when strange smoke and sounds are observed in a nearby village, there is panic. Enter a young count upon the scene. His is a strange connection to the castle and to the village. He is wandering the countryside, trying to get over the loss of his fiancee's sudden and tragic death. In the prime of her life and fame, the fiancee was the victim of a stalker and, quite literally, scared to death by him. This stalker was none other than the Baron who owns the castle.

When the count investigates the castle, he is startled to see his beloved, or her ghost, and is a man determined to reclaim her. Thus begins his improisonment and attempt to escape which leads to a supernaturl encounter with the Baron and the beloved singer they are both obsessed with.

I loved this story, an old-fashioned ghost and science fiction classic. I loved that the book uses such words like 'phantasmagoria'. We just don't use words like that anymore. Our language today is slowly becoming narrowed to words like 'yo'. Sigh.

And, we just don't get to read stories like this where the true horror comes the madness of a deranged lover. The supernatural and special effects of phonorgrams and optical illusions is just enough for any sci-fi junkie of the 1800's and I bet a lot of haunted houses could learn a thing or two from Verne.

If you've never read Jules Verne before, start with this one. And, if you're a true vamp tramp, then start with the one that started the legend.

(end)

2020-07-29 22:04:39 UTC
I got the answer from the sci-if newsgroup:

"On desktop at least, if you click on the movie as it plays, you bring up some
icons. A little gear for Settings, and a "CC" in a box to turn closed
captions on and off.

"You can select language in settings (English is default), and either click on
the 'CC' box, or type the letter 'c' (lowercase) to toggle captions."

Can't wait!