Dr. Toni Grant, 73; radio psychologist
Add Reply
Rick B.
2016-04-07 01:25:03 UTC
http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/radio-psychologist-toni-grant-dies-1201746255/

Toni Grant, one of the first voices in radio psychology and a staple of
Los Angeles’ ’70s and ’80s pop culture, died on March 27 in Beverly Hills.
No cause of death has been disclosed.

Grant was first featured as a guest on Bill Balance’s “Feminine Forum.”
Her success as part of the show led her to her own call-in talk show in 1975,
capitalizing on the newly popular concept of airwave therapy.

The licensed psychologist’s show gained a large following due to her
entertaining yet informative advice. By 1981, her radio show was nationally
syndicated and at one point aired on more than 180 radio stations.

Grant was known for her somewhat controversial advice, with some critics
labeling her as an anti-feminist for her emphasis on the importance of
femininity and charm as well as uncommitted intimacy. Grant defended herself,
saying that she constantly spoke on behalf of women. She later wrote a
bestselling book called “Being a Woman: Fulfilling Your Femininity and
Finding Love.”

The radio psychologist inspired Alan Rudolph’s 1984 dramedy “Choose Me,”
a film about sex and love in Los Angeles — popular topics in Grant’s talk
show — that features radio host Dr. Nancy Love, played by Geneviève Bujold.

Grant is survived by her husband, her daughters and four grandchildren.
Bryan Styble
2016-04-07 13:17:33 UTC
I've often wondered over the last decade or so if Toni Grant would ever again un-retire, as she'd already done at least a couple times. But fortunately, us talk radio junkies were not once more subjected to her ever-cloying, often-prurient, and profoundly-sexist broadcast.

Grant was apparently more than happy to instead simply savor the good life, married to her latest husband, after reportedly following her own oft-rendered advice to her typically emotionally-shattered female callers to never marry for love, but rather always for love AND (big) money. Grant may have done more for gold-diggers than The Dean Martin Show.

I'm surprised Variety adjudged her show "informative"; I found it corrosive to the culture. Grant promulgated a women-are-entitled-to-pampering philosophy that flies in the face of everything I came to know and appreciate about mutual respect between the sexes.

And she often furthered the myth that few men desire intellectuality in a woman. She was clearly dead-wrong on that point; I'd have valued Grant's intellect, had I ever detected much of one. (I don't doubt she was bright, given her academic accomplishments, but her broadcasts always highlighted her obsession with projecting a dainty image to men at the expense of any real cerebral content to her work.)

And then there was Grant's deliberate, clipped speaking style, every bit as affected as that always-exaggerated Columbian accent that Sofia Vargara thinks everyone falls for.

One notorious (and thankfully short-lived) local TV promo Grant did for her KABC radio show portrayed her laying on a chaise longue, adorned in sexy, pink night-wear with a Princess phone handset to her ear. (Well, at least they didn't put a microphone in her hand.)

I did like her dark red hair--presuming it was real, a hefty assumption, I'll grant.

Now, it's not that so-called "shrink radio" is inherently an illegitimate genre; Dr. Susan Forward, the late Dr. David Viscott, and especially Neil Myers and Dr. Joy Browne are all serious counselors and fine broadcasters. (Indeed, Myers has perhaps the smoothest style I've ever heard in any type of talk radio.) But Grant was always all style backed by precious little substance, and seems to have inspired the equally-obnoxious schtick of Laura Schlessinger.

My favorite moment in Grant's career, as it happens, was not on KABC/Los Angeles or her either of her short-lived nationally-syndicated radio shows. Instead, it was on the late Stanley Siegel's excellent "America Talks Back" series for Lifetime cable in the mid-80s, in those days when Lifetime was still a network uncontaminated by the Oprahization of broadcasting.

Siegel was doing an ATB edition he cheerfully admitted was pointless fluff, as it concerned Chippendale's strippers. Grant was also a guest, though Siegel wisely didn't much draw on her typically-saccarine counsel on this silly "issue". After thanking all of his other guests--there were about a half-dozen half-dressed hunks on with them--at the end of the broadcast, he turned to Grant, perched upon a bar stool rather than sitting on a chair (as Siegel and his guests did on all his various programs), and rather than the routine thank-you, instead tweaked her: "Toni--why were you here?" Grant had no answer.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
v***@gmail.com
2019-08-30 00:41:41 UTC
Read about her murderous greedy daughters and their criminal MD father Neil Hollander. Dr Tony Grant had the voice and the sex appeal of a high priced escort, but her daughters unfortunately only got her brain, which we all know was not her greatest asset. Dr Tony was charming, sexy, materialistic and one of most successful gold diggers in history. Not a thing wrong with that it made her lovely wealthy generous husband very happy until her early death from Alzheimer’s. She was a very charming courtesan. Her daughters on the other hand more resemble Cinderella’s step sisters and surely Being the ugly ducklings of such an aesthetically minded mother, and a criminal loser m.d. father, took a sad toll. However, the two daughters took it out on the only person in their lives who was ever good to them and that was the benevolent benefactor who married their mother. But for the goodness of his heart this broke woman with her 15 mins of fame, made no money. In fact she was insolvent when she met the quarter billionaire sweetheart of a gentleman from the Midwest, naive to the ways of the Beverly Hills gold diggers. All in all it worked out but for the fact that unlike her, he was not money motivated as he came from generations of wealth and he allowed his ambition bride to destroy his packaging company. While he sold it for penny’s on the dollar, she lived lavishly and died. He survived her but prior to her death, her daughter’s (fathered by her prior husband Neil Hollander the convicted former MD now bankrupt) managed to drive their mother’s wealthy husband to two near successful suicide attempts, while they kept their mother riddled in bedsores and fought her husband for money. The mother left them not a dime so the daughters (both doctors) knew exactly how to manipulate the elderly man to fund a trust for them; only catch was he had to die for them to get it. Meanwhile, the mother was still alive and the daughters went and raided her jewelry box, the diamonds all belonged to HIS mother and were on loan from his sister to Dr. Tony Grant. They had him so confused he did not resist as they emotionally abused their mothers husband of more than 20 years. These are not children these women, both doctors are middle aged . Epitome of evil; and that is the legacy of Dr. Grant who’s claim to fame was a sultry voice and a book ghost written by Dr. Susan Block who Dr. Tony, deceived into getting no credit for... .hmm perhaps the deceitful gene ran on both the mother and father’s side!
Bryan Styble
2019-08-30 02:36:16 UTC
Didn't understand a lot of what you wrote, but that which was clear to me is interesting, and new to a guy who followed her career from up close, having in the mid-80s worked in Los Angeles for Metro Networks, which her station KABC used for traffic reports.

And while I don't know if her name was Antointee or how she came about what was probably just a stage name anyway, she was definitely Dr. Toni Grant, not Tony.