LIST: Living members of the Baseball Hall of Fame
2019-02-07 23:12:59 UTC
This list has been updated to reflect the death of Frank Robinson,
formerly at position #9, and the addition of Edgar Martinez, Mike Mussina,
and Mariano Rivera.

There are currently 77 living members of the Hall of Fame. This includes
69 players, five managers, and three executives. (Most managers were
former players and many players later become managers, but they are
usually voted into the Hall as one or the other, as their career merits).

Of the 69 players, 65 were voted in by the baseball writers association,
which has the primary responsibility for selecting which players will be
in the Hall of Fame. Players who are no longer under consideration by the
baseball writers can be voted in by the veterans committee - known since
2011 as the "historical overview committee." (It is generally considered
more prestigious to be inducted by the baseball writers, rather than
through the veterans committee's "back door.")

The veterans committee/historical overview committee is also responsible
for inducting non-players, including managers, executives, and umpires.

The list below gives each living Hall member, in order of date of birth.
It also indicates how each member was inducted. The absence of a
designation means "player inducted by the baseball writers."

David Carson

------------------------------
Living members of the Baseball Hall of Fame

1. Tommy Lasorda, b. 9/22/1927 (manager, veterans committee)
2. Whitey Ford, b. 10/21/1928
3. Willie Mays, b. 5/6/1931
4. Whitey Herzog, b. 11/9/1931 (manager, veterans committee)
5. Hank Aaron, b. 2/5/1934
6. Luis Aparicio, b. 4/29/1934
7. Bud Selig, b. 7/30/1934 (executive, historical overview committee)
8. Al Kaline, b. 12/19/1934
9. Bob Gibson, b. 11/9/1935
10. Sandy Koufax, b. 12/30/1935
11. Bill Mazeroski, b. 9/5/1936 (veterans committee)
12. Brooks Robinson, b. 5/18/1937
13. Pat Gillick, b. 8/22/1937 (executive, historical overview committee)
14. Orlando Cepeda, b. 9/17/1937 (veterans committee)
15. Juan Marichal, b. 10/20/1937
16. Billy Williams, b. 6/15/1938
17. Gaylor Perry, b. 9/15/1938
18. Phil Niekro, b. 4/1/1939
19. Lou Brock, b. 6/18/1939
20. Carl Yastrzemski, b. 8/22/1939
21. Joe Torre, b. 7/18/1940 (manager, historical overview committee)
22. John Schuerholz, b. 10/1/1940 (executive, HOC)
23. Bobby Cox, b. 5/21/1941 (manager, historical overview committee)
24. Tony Perez, b. 5/14/1942
25. Joe Morgan, b. 09/19/1943
26. Ferguson Jenkins, b. 12/13/1943
27. Tony La Russa, b. 10/4/1944 (manager, historical overview committee)
28. Tom Seaver, b. 11/17/1944
29. Steve Carlton, b. 12/22/1944
30. Don Sutton, b. 4/2/1945
31. Rod Carew, b. 10/1/1945
32. Jim Palmer, b. 10/15/1945
33. Reggie Jackson, b. 5/18/1946
34. Rollie Fingers, b. 08/25/1946
35. Nolan Ryan, b. 1/31/1947
36. Johnny Bench, b. 12/7/1947
37. Carlton Fisk, b. 12/26/1947
38. Mike Schmidt, b. 9/27/1949
39. Bert Blyleven, b. 4/6/1951
40. Goose Gossage, b. 7/5/1951
41. Dave Winfield, b. 10/3/1951
42. Bruce Sutter, b. 1/8/1953
43. Jim Rice, b. 3/8/1953
44. George Brett, b. 5/15/1953
45. Andre Dawson, b. 7/10/1954
46. Dennis Eckersley, b. 10/3/1954
47. Ozzie Smith, b. 12/26/1954
48. Jack Morris, b. 5/16/1955 (HOC)
49. Robin Yount, b. 9/16/1955
50. Eddie, Murray, b. 2/24/1956
51. Paul Molitor, b. 8/22/1956
52. Alan Trammell, b. 2/21/1958 (HOC)
53. Wade Boggs, b. 6/15/1958
54 Rickey Henderson, b. 12/25/1958
55. Tim Raines, b. 9/16/1959
56. Ryne Sandberg, b. 9/18/1959
57. Cal Ripken Jr., b. 8/24/1960
58. Edgar Martinez, b. 1/2/1963
59. Randy Johnson, b. 9/10/1963
60. Barry Larkin, b. 4/28/1964
61. Craig Biggio, b. 12/14/1965
62. Tom Glavine, b. 3/25/1966
63. Greg Maddux, b. 4/14/1966
64. John Smlotz, b. 5/15/1967
65. Trevor Horrman, b. 10/13/1967
66. Roberto Alomar, b. 2/5/1968
67. Frank Thomas, b. 5/27/1968
68. Jeff Bagwell, b. 5/27/1968
69. Mike Mussina, b. 12/8/1968
70. Mike Piazza, b. 9/4/1969
71. Ken Griffey Jr., b. 11/21/1969
72. Mariano Rivera, b. 11/29/1969
73. Jim Thome, b. 8/27/1970
74. Pedro Martinez, b. 10/25/1971
75. Ivan Rodriguez, b. 11/27/1971
76. Chipper Jones, b. 4/24/1972
77. Vladimir Guerrero, b. 2/9/1975
------------------------------

Living Members of the Baseball Hall of Fame
http://www.doadb.com/bbhof.htm

"Death is a part of baseball."
"Oh, yeah ... It's the main part."
- heard on The Simpsons
David Carson
2019-02-08 23:45:40 UTC
Post by David Carson
This list has been updated to reflect the death of Frank Robinson,
formerly at position #9, and the addition of Edgar Martinez, Mike Mussina,
and Mariano Rivera.
There are currently 77 living members of the Hall of Fame.
I should have included the latest veterans committee inductions - Lee
Smith and Harold Baines. I'll get them next time.

I'm also done with trying to keep up with all of the renaming and
reorganizing of the back door process and will go back to calling it the
veterans committee.
That Derek
2019-02-09 01:15:48 UTC
This list is always a good read. Bravo, Dave Carson.

However, I wish to posit a query: which one of these gentleman is the earliest inductee/longest tenured Hall of Fame member?

Answer me that, Mister Green Lantern!
Michael OConnor
2019-02-09 02:12:01 UTC
It's gotta be Whitey Ford. I started following baseball in 1972 when I was eight years old, and the only players on the list I never saw play were Koufax and Ford. I know Koufax retired after the 1966 season and was inducted in 1972. I think Ford was inducted in 1968.
Bermuda999
Ford was inducted in 1974. You were correct on Koufax (1972), the youngest player ever inducted at 36
Bermuda999
Correction: Koufax was the youngest *elected* for induction. But because the induction ceremony was later than usual that year, he was actually slightly older than Gehrig was at the time of his induction
David Carson
2019-02-09 02:25:43 UTC
Sandy Koufax, inducted in 1972.
Michael OConnor
2019-02-09 02:18:07 UTC
You forgot the late Roy Halladay.
David Carson
2019-02-09 02:20:51 UTC
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 18:18:07 -0800 (PST), Michael OConnor
Post by Michael OConnor
You forgot the late Roy Halladay.
He doesn't meet all of the criteria.
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
Michael OConnor
2019-02-09 05:42:24 UTC
My bad, I forgot he was dead.
Louis Epstein
2019-02-10 18:03:41 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
Post by David Carson
Post by Michael OConnor
You forgot the late Roy Halladay.
He doesn't meet all of the criteria.
My bad, I forgot he was dead.
This lapse of memory occurred somewhere between "the late" and the end of
the sentence?

2019-02-10 18:16:25 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
You forgot the late Roy Halladay.
For some reason,whenever I hear "Roy Halladay" I immediately think of
Roy Hobbs of "The Natural".

wboenig
2019-02-09 15:32:58 UTC
Mike Piazza was born in 1968, not 1969. (Your work is appreciated nonetheless.)
David Carson
2019-02-09 16:05:57 UTC
I'll fix it, thanks.
That Derek
2019-02-09 15:41:41 UTC
Did any announced inductee ever pull a "George C. Scott/Marlon Brando" tactic by refusing induction?
David Carson
2019-02-09 16:15:02 UTC
Did any announced inductee ever pull a "George C. Scott/Marlon Brando" tactic by refusing induction?
No. People refuse British knighthood and withdraw from consideration to
the U.S. Supreme Court, but they don't refuse induction into the Baseball
Hall of Fame. The only way I can currently see that happening is if Pete
Rose (banned for gambling) were admitted, and even then, I doubt it. The
admission of the likes of Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens (steroids) would
upset some fans, but I don't think it would deter other players from
accepting the honor.

Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
Michael OConnor
2019-02-10 21:04:45 UTC
Post by David Carson
Post by That Derek
Did any announced inductee ever pull a "George C. Scott/Marlon Brando" tactic by refusing induction?
No. People refuse British knighthood and withdraw from consideration to
the U.S. Supreme Court, but they don't refuse induction into the Baseball
Hall of Fame. The only way I can currently see that happening is if Pete
Rose (banned for gambling) were admitted, and even then, I doubt it. The
admission of the likes of Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens (steroids) would
upset some fans, but I don't think it would deter other players from
accepting the honor.
Last weekend, none of the men who were named to the Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 2019 turned down the honor because of Colin Kaepernick.