Rose Marie, 'Dick Van Dyke Show' Star, Dies at 94
2017-12-29 00:46:22 UTC
http://variety.com/2017/tv/people-news/rose-marie-dead-dies-dick-van-dyke-show-1202649747/
DECEMBER 28, 2017 4:30PM PT
Rose Marie, ‘Dick Van Dyke Show’ Star, Dies at 94
By Carmel Dagan

Rose Marie, best known for her role as Sally Rogers on “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” who had a nine-decade career in show business, died Thursday in Van Nuys, Calif. She was 94.

Publicist Harlan Boll confirmed her death.

Rose Marie was Emmy nominated three times for her work on “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” in which she played part of the writing team, led by Van Dyke’s Rob Petrie, for the fictional “Alan Brady Show.” The actress began a five-season stint as Sally Rogers in 1960.

Decades earlier, she had been a child singing star under the name Baby Rose Marie. She began her career at 3, starring in her own show on NBC radio by the age of 5, cutting records and appearing in vaudeville, in shorts including 1929’s “Baby Rose Marie the Child Wonder” and in Paramount’s 1933 feature “International House” with W.C. Fields.

Variety founder Sime Silverman himself mentioned Rose Marie in its pages for “The Child Wonder,” writing, “Though but a kidlet, she seemed to have an idea of her own.”

Later, as a teenager, she became a nightclub singer before returning to radio as a comedienne.

In the early 1950s Rose Marie appeared on television variety shows as a singer and dancer, and she returned to the bigscreen in 1954, starring opposite Phil Silvers in “Top Banana,” an adaptation of Silvers’ Broadway show about a TV comedian.

The actress recurred on “The Bob Cummings Show” as Martha in 1958-59, and she was a series regular on a brief TV adaptation of “My Sister Eileen.” After “The Dick Van Dyke Show” she guested on a variety of TV shows, including “The Monkees” and “My Three Sons,” and she recurred on “The Doris Day Show.”

During the 1960s she also appeared onstage in “Bye Bye Birdie” and in a pair of features, starring opposite her “Van Dyke” co-star Morey Amsterdam in “Don’t Worry, We’ll Think of a Title,” and appearing in “Dead Heat on a Merry-Go-Round,” starring James Coburn.

Rose Marie made a steady stream of TV appearances from the early 1970s until the early 2000s, appearing, for example, on “Adam-12” and “Kojak”; recurring as Hilda the sandwich delivery lady on “S.W.A.T.”; appearing repeatedly in different roles on “The Love Boat”; guesting on “Cagney and Lacey” and “Murphy Brown”; appearing as a series regular on the brief 1994 sports comedy “Hardball”; and guesting on “Caroline in the City” (with Amsterdam), “Wings” and “Suddenly, Susan.” She was also a semi-regular on “Hollywood Squares” in the 1980s and ’90s.

Onstage, she starred with Rosemary Clooney, Helen O’Connell and Margaret Whiting in the musical revue “4 Girls 4,” which toured the U.S. and made television appearances for several years beginning in 1977.

In the 2000s she appeared in another comedienne’s HBO special, “Tracey Ullman in the Trailer Tales,” and returned to the “Van Dyke” fold for Carl Reiner’s animated “The Alan Brady Show” and for 2004’s “The Dick Van Dyke Show Revisited.”

Rose Marie Mazetta was born in New York City. She was married to trumpeter Bobby Guy from 1946 until his death in 1964.

She is survived by a daughter, Georgiana Marie “Noopy” and her son-in-law Steven Rodrigues. Donations may be made to Thrive and Heaven Helper’s Rescue.

© Copyright 2017 Variety Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC. Variety and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Variety Media, LLC.
RH Draney
2017-12-29 03:08:03 UTC
Post by Diner
Rose Marie, best known for her role as Sally Rogers on “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” who had a nine-decade career in show business, died Thursday in Van Nuys, Calif. She was 94.
Just three days short of ten years since her DVD love interest Bill
"Herman Glimscher" Idelson....r
Larc
2017-12-29 14:29:59 UTC
On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 16:46:22 -0800 (PST), Diner <***@gmail.com> wrote:

| http://variety.com/2017/tv/people-news/rose-marie-dead-dies-dick-van-dyke-show-1202649747/
| DECEMBER 28, 2017 4:30PM PT
| Rose Marie, ‘Dick Van Dyke Show’ Star, Dies at 94
| By Carmel Dagan
|
| Rose Marie, best known for her role as Sally Rogers on “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” who had a nine-decade career in show business, died Thursday in Van Nuys, Calif. She was
| 94.

Another of the really good ones gone.

May she RIP.

Larc
l***@yahoo.com
2017-12-29 21:24:51 UTC
http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/rose-marie-show-business-legend-dead-at-94.html

Last two paragraphs:

...Rose Marie worked up until her death, boasting a 90-year career, which is believed to be the longest active career in show business. In that time, she sang for everyone — from presidents to Al Capone and his mobster friends. In 2003, she published her memoir Hold the Roses, and this fall, was the subject of Jason Wise’s documentary Wait for Your Laugh, chronicling nine decades of Hollywood through the lens of her storied career. A vocal member of the industry until the end, most recently Rose Marie made news for lending her support to the women speaking up about Harvey Weinstein’s misconduct and Hollywood’s predatory culture, poignantly tweeting (via her secretary), “I have suffered my whole life for that. Don’t stop.”

She recalled her own experience of a movie producer propositioning her on set to Vulture: “I said, ‘You son of a bitch, you couldn’t get it up if the flag went by!’” As retaliation, she said the producer had all of her songs cuts from the film and her role drastically reduced. The experience, however, didn’t scare Rose Marie away from the business, and instead led to better luck in television. “Three years old to 94 years old. That’s pretty good. I love my business. I love everything I have done,” she told us. “If that’s being selfish and conceited, I guess I am! I wouldn’t be in it this long if I didn’t love it. It was a beautiful life. In fact, I always say, if I had known how beautiful it was, I would have paid more attention to it.”

And:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/11/rose-marie-interview.html
(a long Q&A from early November - great! My guess is that she was still well under ten when she met you-know-who in Chicago.)

2017-12-31 18:50:23 UTC
She was probably just under ten when this movie was filmed!

Sorry about the quality - when you find the movie (just over 60 minutes) the quality is much better, I promise you. The full movie doesn't seem to be online - for free, anyway.

Btw, the way she seems to growl at times is NOT good for one's voice! (So I once heard.)

More on the movie - truly fun!

https://jacksonupperco.com/2017/09/27/pre-code-profile-international-house-1933/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0024183/

"Professor Wong has invented a television machine and invites everyone to see it at China's International House Hotel. Every time Tommy Nash attempts to wed his fiancée Carol Fortescue he comes down with an illness, and when he breaks out in a rash the hotel is quarantined. Into this hotel flies Professor Quail (W.C. Fields) in his auto-gyro."

Cab Calloway appears too, singing a song that often got cut from TV showings! You'll see why. I'd also like to find out if that was the voice of Sterling Holloway singing in the background when he actually appears and dances in the lavish number "She Was a China Teacup and He Was Just a Mug."