Jacari Long, 6 months, by babysitter's pit bull
2019-04-02 18:55:19 UTC
"They have to take the responsibility of what they did by having that
dog around that baby. People should learn from that not to have
animals like that around little kids like that."

"'We're not exactly sure if this could have been avoided or not,' said
Lt. Beam."

"No charges have been filed."

6-month-old killed by dog while with babysitter
By Lauren Dugan, FOX 46 Charlotte, FOX 46 Web Staff

SALISBURY, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) - A 6-month-old baby was killed
after being attacked by a dog in Salisbury while at his babysitter's
house, police said.

The attack happened around 2:30 p.m. [on Tuesday, 5 March 2019] in the
700 block of Wilson Road. Police said the babysitter sat the child in
the living room and walked outside to clean the backseat of her car.
The sitter, who has not been identified, told police she heard her
mother scream and ran back inside where she found the boy being
attacked by her boxer/pit bull mix.

“He killed a 6-month-old baby. I was shocked,” said Lanyah Gaines, who
lives in the area.“I thought he just bit somebody grown."

The infant, 6-month-old Jacari Long, was taken to Novant Rowan and
then airlifted to NC Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem. He passed away
shortly after.

Rowan County Animal Control went to the house and took the dog.

“If my dog ever killed a six-month-old baby I would just put her down.
I’m sorry to the mother and father. It’s sad," Gaines said.

Salisbury police are continuing to investigate.

-----------------------
http://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/local-news/dog-that-killed-6-month-old-boy-set-to-be-euthanized
Dog that killed 6-month-old boy euthanized

ROWAN COUNTY, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) - A pit bull mix that attacked
and killed a 6-month-old has been euthanized, according to Rowan
County Animal Care and Contol.

To dog, ‘King,’ mauled Jacari Long, killing him on Tuesday. Long was
at a babysitter’s house in Salisbury when the incident happened.

"Lonely, hurt, sad, upset, trying to figure out what really happened,"
Densie Small said. She is a friend of the baby boy's family.

Small tells FOX 46 it broke her heart to hear Long died after he was
injured by the dog.

"A baby that didn't even have the chance to live life or even have a
chance to enjoy life," she said.

The investigation report says the child's godmother left the
6-month-old inside while she put the baby seat into her car. She heard
her mother scream, and when she came back in, the report says the baby
was covered in blood.

"Right is right and wrong is wrong. They have to take the
responsibility of what they did by having that dog around that baby.
People should learn from that not to have animals like that around
little kids like that."

Salisbury Police say they're still investigating whether or not anyone
will be charged in the baby's death.

"My heart goes out to you all. My heart is deeply hurt for you all. I
love you all."

The dog was not up to date on his rabies shot.

---------------------
https://www.wcnc.com/article/life/animals/dog-euthanized-after-mauling-killing-baby-in-salisbury/275-be7e4f1a-182b-4e16-95a4-759829e63389
Dog euthanized after mauling, killing baby in Salisbury

SALISBURY, N.C. — A 6-month-old child died after being mauled by a dog
at his babysitter's home, according to Salisbury Police.

It happened around 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday. Police said they were
notified that a child was being flown to NC Baptist Hospital for a dog
bite.

After further investigation, officers discovered the incident happened
at 716 Wilson Road. The babysitter sat the child down in the living
room while she went out to clean out the backseat of her car so she
could leave with the baby, police said.

"The babysitter heard her mother scream and ran back inside of the
residence. There she found the child being attacked by her boxer/pit
bull mix dog," according to a news release.

Police said 6-month-old Jacari Long was sitting in his car seat inside
the house when his babysitter's 4-year-old dog attacked him.

“It was very horrific,” said Lt. Greg Beam with Salisbury Police.
“Especially for the first responders, the hospital staff involved
yesterday (Tuesday), I know they took it hard."

The child was taken to Novant Rowan and then airlifted to
Winston-Salem. Long later died from his injuries, police said. Rowan
County Animal Control took custody of the dog.

“We are still interviewing family members of the residents and also
interviewing some of the neighbors,” said Lt. Beam.

NBC Charlotte got a first-hand look at the dog, who was being held
inside the quarantine unit. The dog growled but never showed any
teeth. Officials said he had shown aggression toward's people prior to
our arrival.

“We're not exactly sure if this could have been avoided or not,” said
Lt. Beam.

The dog was euthanized on Thursday. The pet will be tested for rabies.
Animal control said the dog was past due on his vaccine.

A GoFundMe campaign has been started for Long's funeral and memorial.

No charges have been filed.
Travoltron
2019-04-02 19:03:15 UTC
Buh-buh-but pit bulls are known as the "nanny dog" if you believe the
internet.
Louis Epstein
2019-04-03 04:56:07 UTC
Post by Travoltron
Buh-buh-but pit bulls are known as the "nanny dog" if you believe the
internet.
It's all in how the particular dog is treated.

2019-04-03 19:15:57 UTC
On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 04:56:07 +0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by Travoltron
Buh-buh-but pit bulls are known as the "nanny dog" if you believe the
internet.
It's all in how the particular dog is treated.
If we believed that, we would hold owners accountable for treating
their dogs so badly that they killed, instead of saying things like
"'We're not exactly sure if this could have been avoided or not."