Marshall Efron, 81, comedic actor/satirist/writer/cartoon voice-over artist
2019-10-09 03:57:11 UTC
Marshall Efron got his start in the 1960s over NYC's WBAI-FM (which suspended operations yesterday Mon 10/07/2019).

He was a primary player/writer/satirist for PBS's early 1970s programme "The Great American Dream Machine."

Efron also was a prolific cartoon voice-over actor.

His obit, this early in the game, seems to be only available via The NY Times -- and they have a paywall. Though I did admire Efron's humour, he's just not "free look-up worthy" -- something similar to Elaine Benes/Julia Louis Dreyfuss's "spongeworthy" shtick on the "Seinfeld" reruns.

r.
m***@gmail.com
How ironic with the news about WBAI, comes this death. Marshall Effron was quite funny. I used to hear him with Steve Post on the latter's show, The Outside, on WBAI which was on from Midnight to 4 AM on weekends in the late 60s.
Travoltron
2019-10-09 19:55:27 UTC
Marshall Efron, Funny Cog in the PBS ‘Dream Machine,’ Dies at 81

In the 1970s he was part of a much-talked about prime-time TV series as
well as a somewhat subversive Sunday morning Bible show for children.

By Neil Genzlinger

Oct. 8, 2019

Marshall Efron, an actor and humorist who was a core figure in two of
the quirkiest television shows of the 1970s, “The Great American Dream
Machine” and the children’s program “Marshall Efron’s Illustrated,
Simplified and Painless Sunday School,” died on Sept. 30 at the Lillian
Booth Actors Home in Englewood, N.J. He was 81.

His longtime writing partner, Alfa-Betty Olsen, said the cause was
cardiac arrest.

At a time when “Gunsmoke,” “Bonanza” and “Marcus Welby, M.D.” were among
television’s top-rated shows, Mr. Efron made an idiosyncratic entry into
the viewing public’s consciousness as a parody of a consumer affairs
reporter on “The Great American Dream Machine,” a hodgepodge of a series
that premiered in January 1971 on PBS, then newly formed and still known
as the Public Broadcasting Service.

It was a freewheeling mix of short comic films, cartoons, musical acts,
humorous sketches, investigative journalism and opinion pieces, and Mr.
Efron, 5-foot-5 and weighing well north of 200 pounds, cut a distinctive
figure on it. The New York Times once called him “the big man daintily
wielding a satirical sledgehammer.” Another time, the newspaper
described him as “the plump elf with the crab grass mustache.”

In one bit, Mr. Efron riffed on the United States Department of
Agriculture’s grading of olives. “Which is the biggest — the giant, the
jumbo or the extra large?” he asked.

In another, he parodied a cooking show by trying to prepare a Morton’s
frozen lemon cream pie using the arcane, somewhat dubious-sounding
ingredients listed on the box.

“Now we’re going to food starch modified,” he said midway through,
shaking a white powder into his bowl. “What are the modifications? No
one knows.” The bit ended with him holding up a Morton’s pie and saying,
“No lemons, no eggs, no cream, just pie.”

The show, produced by National Educational Television and WNET in New
York, lasted only two seasons. But it was much talked about in its day,
and the list of soon-to-be-famous faces who turned up on it includes
Chevy Chase, Henry Winkler, Albert Brooks and Penny Marshall.

Mr. Efron quickly returned to television in an altogether different vein
with the “Painless Sunday School” program, which turned up on CBS’s
Sunday morning lineup in late 1973. On that show, he single-handedly
enacted stories from the Bible. In one episode, he was both David and
Goliath. If the show was somewhat subversive for religious fare, it
wasn’t disrespectful.

“Everybody thinks we outraged the fundamentalists, but it’s not true,”
Ms. Olsen, who wrote the show with Mr. Efron, told The Boston Globe in
1981. “We received awards from church groups, and letters saying Sunday
schools were using our show as part of their studies.”

Mr. Efron was born on Feb. 3, 1938, in Los Angeles. His father, Jacob,
was an accountant, and his mother, Ida (Plotkin) Efron, was a homemaker.
He grew up facing issues familiar to countless young people.

“School wasn’t much fun for me,” he told The Times in 1971. “I was short
and fat, a lousy athlete, always the last to be picked for teams. The
better team would get me as a handicap.”

“I started being funny as a kid to avoid being pushed around,” he added.

He graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles, in 1959,
then earned a master’s degree in English at the University of
California, Berkeley, in 1964. After an aborted run at law school he
tried teaching, but he also began working with the International Theater
Workshop in Los Angeles. Soon he was acting there and in the Bay Area.

In 1967 he moved to New York, and the next year he was on Broadway,
playing several small roles in “The Great White Hope.” He also began
doing satirical radio spots for the listener-supported radio station
WBAI. During the 1968 student protests at Columbia University, he and
his fellow humorist Paul Krassner (who died in July) pretended to be
students and said they had taken over the station; some listeners who
didn’t get the joke are said to have called the police.

Mr. Efron eventually got his own weekly program on the station, “A
Satirical View,” and soon Al Perlmutter and Jack Willis, the executive
producers of “Dream Machine,” came calling. “Rowan and Martin’s
Laugh-In” and, in England, “Monty Python’s Flying Circus” had already
experimented with fast-moving, absurdist variations of the variety show
format, and “Dream Machine,” adding music and political content to the
mix, was a forerunner of “Saturday Night Live,” which made its debut in
1975.

By the time “Dream Machine” appeared, Mr. Efron had also begun acting in
movies, including the first feature by a young director named George
Lucas, the science fiction thriller “THX 1138” (1971). He would continue
to act and do voice work in films and television throughout his career.
His voice credits included the series “The Smurfs” and “The Biskitts” in
the 1980s and the animated films “Ice Age: The Meltdown” (2006) and
“Horton Hears a Who!” (2008).

He is survived by a sister, Mary Efron.

Mr. Efron was a car fanatic. In the early 1970s his decorating scheme at
his apartment on East 10th Street in Manhattan included the grill from a
1937 Ford truck.

“My dream of success has always been to have a new Cadillac on my own
grease rack,” he told The Times in 1971.

In 1981 he reflected on his “Sunday School” series, which ran from 1973
to 1977 and was rebroadcast into the 1980s.

“I don’t think we felt we were getting away with anything,” he said. “If
you look at the Bible as it’s written, there is wit, a humor, a
freshness, a liveliness to it. Those people who think it’s grim are wrong.”