Jimmy Nelson, 90 -- arguably the last of the great "Golden Era" ventriloquists
p***@gmail.com
2019-09-28 01:48:49 UTC
The brains and voice behind Danny O'Day and Farfel has passed away at 90 years of age.

If you somehow fail to recognize the name, anyone of boomer age will surely remember his classic ad for for Nestle's Quik, which closed with Danny singing:

"N-E-S-T-L-E-S ... Nestle's makes the very best ..."

And Farfel (the dog) adding:

"Chawww-klit!" ... with a very audible snap of his mouth.

Rest in peace.
That Derek
2019-09-28 05:04:29 UTC
arguably the last of the great "Golden Era" ventriloquists
What constitutes the "Golden Era" considering that Willie Tyler is still off-topic?
t***@gmail.com
My brother received a Danny O' Day figure (kid's toy version for Christmas). He lost interest in being a ventriloquist, so he gave it to our cousin Bud who later became an evangelist ventriloquist.
m***@gmail.com
Did the Danny O'Day figure ask for donations to Rev Billy Bob by having Danny wink his eye and say "Give us a millyun"
p***@gmail.com
2019-09-28 08:59:23 UTC
I will be the first to agree that defining any time frame as a "Golden Era" is a highly subjective practice, but I think it's safe to say that the art form truly saw its heyday with the ascent of such performers as Edgar Bergen, Paul Winchell, Senor Wences, Shari Lewis and Shirley Dinsdale. The latter even won the first-ever Emmy Award back in 1949 as that year's Outstanding Television Personality.

That's not to take a thing away from the brilliant Willie Tyler, or any other great practitioners such as Jay Johnson, Jeff Dunham or Ronn Lucas. It's just that ventriloquism as a popular entertainment is much less mainstream than it once was, and those newer names (Tyler rose to prominence in 1972; the "golden agers" were at least a generation earlier) are simply victims of that fact.

Just my two cents' worth. Your mileage may vary, of course.

-- Doug Peterson --