Peggy Lipton ('Mod Squad') Dies at 72
2019-05-12 04:02:53 UTC
Actress Peggy Lipton, star of 'The Mod Squad' and 'Twin Peaks,' dies at
72

By JOSH ROTTENBERG [L.A. Times]
MAY 11, 2019 | 6:10 PM

Actress and former model Peggy Lipton, who rose to stardom in the late
1960s on the counterculture police series "The Mod Squad" and later
starred on TV's "Twin Peaks," has died.

Her death from cancer was announced Saturday by Kidada and Rashida
Jones, her daughters from a marriage to famed music producer Quincy
Jones.

"She made her journey peacefully with her daughters and nieces by her
side," Lipton's daughters said in a statement to The Times. "We feel so
lucky for every moment we spent with her."

Born in New York on Aug. 30, 1946, Lipton began modeling at age 15 and
quickly found herself in demand. At age 19, she made her television
debut on the sitcom "The John Forsythe Show," going on to make
appearances on such series as "Bewitched," "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour"
and "The Virginian."

The waifish, blond Lipton had just turned 21 when she rocketed to fame
in 1968 as the street-smart flower child Julie Barnes, one of a trio of
Los Angeles undercover "hippie cops" on the ABC crime series "The Mod
Squad."

One of pop culture's first efforts to reckon seriously with the
counterculture ‹ and one of the first TV shows to feature an
interracial cast ‹ the series, which costarred Michael Cole and
Clarence Williams III, dealt with issues such as domestic violence,
abortion, police brutality, the Vietnam War and drugs. Over five
seasons, the series earned Lipton, one of the "it" girls of her time,
four Emmy nominations and a 1971 Golden Globe award for best actress in
a TV drama.

Her role and later marriage to Jones, who is black, put Lipton at the
center of the passions of a restive America dealing with racism and a
post-World War II generation who were breaking free from their parents.
The "Mod Squad's" edgy music and hip slang marked a significant shift
from "Gunsmoke" and "Leave It To Beaver." But while the show turned the
mini-skirt-and-bellbottoms-clad Lipton into a fashion icon, she found
the spotlight uncomfortable.

"I never saw myself as trend-setting," Lipton told The Times in 1993.
"We were always working. Fame really drove me into my house. I was very
paranoid. I didn't like going out. I had no idea how to be comfortable
with the press. I was very young. It was really hard for me."

Lipton parlayed her role on "The Mod Squad" into a singing career,
enjoying chart success with her cover versions of "Stoney End" and "Lu"
by Laura Nyro and "Wear Your Love Like Heaven" by Donovan.

In 1974, Lipton married Jones and, with the exception of a 1979 "Mod
Squad" reunion TV movie, stepped away from her career to focus on
raising a family. The pair's daughters, Kidada and Rashida, would both
become actors, the latter gaining fame on the comedy series "The
Office" and "Parks and Recreation."

After Lipton and Jones divorced in 1989, Lipton decided to return to
acting, landing the role of Norma Jennings on the cult TV series "Twin
Peaks."

"It was very scary," Lipton told The Times in 1993. "I had a push-pull
thing inside me that I wanted to do itŠ. I had become so insulated in
my world as a mother, that I didn't know how to pick up the phone and
call anybody to put myself out there."

She and Clarence Williams III made cameo appearances in a 1999
big-screen version of "The Mod Squad" that starred Claire Danes, Omar
Epps and Giovanni Ribisi. In her 2005 memoir "Breathing Out," Lipton
wrote of her struggles with fame and the racism she and Jones faced as
an interracial couple and revealed that she had been diagnosed with and
treated for colon cancer the previous year.

In recent years, Lipton continued to appear in occasional supporting
roles in films such as "When in Rome" and "A Dog's Purpose" and TV
series like "Alias," "Crash" and 2017's "Twin Peaks" revival.

"We can't put all of our feelings into words right now, but we will
say: Peggy was and will always be our beacon of light, both in this
world and beyond," her daughters said in a statement Saturday. "She
will always be a part of us."

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-me-peggy-lipton-dead-201
90511-story.html
RH Draney
2019-05-12 07:09:28 UTC
Post by A Friend
Actress Peggy Lipton, star of 'The Mod Squad' and 'Twin Peaks,' dies at
72
In 1974, Lipton married Jones and, with the exception of a 1979 "Mod
Squad" reunion TV movie, stepped away from her career to focus on
raising a family. The pair's daughters, Kidada and Rashida, would both
become actors, the latter gaining fame on the comedy series "The
Office" and "Parks and Recreation."
She also had an uncredited cameo in Keenan Ivory Wayans' 1988
blaxploitation spoof "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka"....r
Michael OConnor
Her "Mod Squad" co-star Clarence Williams III had a small but memorable scene in that movie also.
Adam H. Kerman
2019-05-12 12:48:54 UTC
Post by A Friend
Actress Peggy Lipton, star of 'The Mod Squad' and 'Twin Peaks,' dies at
72
By JOSH ROTTENBERG [L.A. Times]
MAY 11, 2019 | 6:10 PM
Actress and former model Peggy Lipton, who rose to stardom in the late
1960s on the counterculture police series "The Mod Squad" and later
starred on TV's "Twin Peaks," has died.
I'm sorry to hear that she died of cancer.

I've got to say, though, that I remember watching a few Mod Squad
episodes as a kid, and a few more in second run syndication, it was so
dumb and so overwrought I was never a regular viewer. But she was
certainly young and beautiful and gorgeous.
Michael OConnor
I was a little young when it originally aired, but one of our 500 cable channels actually carries reruns of the Mod Squad, and about a year ago I was scrolling thru the channels and saw a listing for an episode of Mod Squad from 1970 featuring a young Richard Dreyfuss as a cold-blooded psycho murderer and that was enough to get me to tune in. Even with Dreyfuss as 23 or so at the time, watching it, it was clear he was going to become a huge star. As it turned out, the episode in question, "Mother of Sorrow", was ranked number 95 on a 1997 TV Guide list of the 100 greatest TV episodes of all time.
Jim G.
2019-05-12 20:35:27 UTC
Post by A Friend
Actress Peggy Lipton, star of 'The Mod Squad' and 'Twin Peaks,' dies at
72
By JOSH ROTTENBERG [L.A. Times]
MAY 11, 2019 | 6:10 PM
Actress and former model Peggy Lipton, who rose to stardom in the late
1960s on the counterculture police series "The Mod Squad" and later
starred on TV's "Twin Peaks," has died.
Well, crud. Too young. I've been doing a TP rewatch (again) and just
finished 2x18 and 19 this weekend, where she's been encouraging Shelly
to enter the Miss Twin Peaks competition. R.I.P., Peggy. Hopefully the
pie in the next life is as good as the pie at the Double R...
"I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'm workin' on a theory there might
be a conspiracy." -- Josh Hoberman, THE MAGICIANS