Jef Jaisun, 73 - musician, wrote "Friendly Neighborhood Narco Agent"
Add Reply
j***@gmail.com
2019-12-02 11:42:13 UTC
https://obits.nola.com/obituaries/nola/obituary.aspx?n=jef-jaisun&pid=194588569

Jef Jaisun passed away Monday, November 18, 2019 after battling cancer 2 years. Jef's home was Seattle, but his home away from home, was New Orleans. While in Seattle, Jef lived and breathed New Orleans; embracing its music, food, and culture. After Katrina, Jef worked for our beloved musicians, fundraising for NOLA Musicians Clinic, and donating time and expertise to restore the homes of Irma Thomas, and Spencer Bohren, among others. Jef was well loved. His intelligence and wit were unsurpassed. Jef had many talents, but was best known locally for Photography. Besides varied public exhibitions, Jef was the Featured Artist in the Grand Stand Exhibit at Jazz Fest twice. Jef played guitar & piano, and composed many songs. His parody "Friendly Neighborhood Narco Agent" was a favorite on Dr. Demento in the '70s. In the 80s, he cut the album "Brand New Rose," and recorded 2 more albums while touring Europe & Denmark. As a solo artist, Jef opened for The Grateful Dead, Moby Grape, BB King, and other Blues icons. Jef collaborated with many musicians, all across America. Many of them visited Seattle yearly, to play for his famous Birthday Celebrations, held at Highway 99 Blues Club on the waterfront, and also for "Fiesta del Jefe" every summer. Over 73 years, Jef had careers as: radio DJ, journalist, music reviewer, organic farmer, musician, songwriter, electrician, and photographer. He was honored with the "Keeping the Blues Alive in Photography" award from the Blues Foundation in Memphis. Jef excelled at anything he endeavored; and with his work ethic, was always there to help. Our world could use more like him. Everyone who knew Jef was blessed, and we will forever remember and miss him. Jef is survived by 6 siblings, 5 sons, 8 grandchildren, and his loving sweetheart of 26 years. He was buried in Seattle, and given a joyful Second Line sendoff as he had wanted. A Memorial is planned for summer of 2020 in Seattle. Donations can be made in Jef's memory to: https://neworleansmusiciansclinic.org.
Published in The Times-Picayune on Dec. 1, 2019
That Derek
2019-12-02 15:07:30 UTC
Somebody early last week posted about the guy who had "I Like," an uncomfortable rendering of Tom T. Hall's ballad "I Love."

What is this? The Dr. Demento 1978 Tour?
Diner
2019-12-02 16:14:40 UTC
I just hope someone has done a wellness check on Tom Lehrer, Napoleon XIV, and Brad Stanfield (the "Gumball Wizard" guy).
RH Draney
2019-12-02 18:15:13 UTC
Post by Diner
Post by That Derek
Somebody early last week posted about the guy who had "I Like," an uncomfortable rendering of Tom T. Hall's ballad "I Love."
What is this? The Dr. Demento 1978 Tour?
I just hope someone has done a wellness check on Tom Lehrer, Napoleon XIV, and Brad Stanfield (the "Gumball Wizard" guy).
Jerry "Napoleon XIV" Samuels is still performing...Dr Demento played a
recording of him doing "Clancy Lowered the Boom" at a live show on his
Thanksgiving episode....r
That Derek
2019-12-02 17:38:25 UTC
Yeah ... and the guy who recorded "The Cockroach That Ate Cincinnati."
David Samuel Barr
2019-12-06 05:15:52 UTC
Yeah ... and the guy who recorded "The Cockroach That Ate Cincinnati."
That would be Doug Drill, co-founder
of the group "Rose & the Arrangement"
which recorded the song in San Diego
in 1973. It was initially released