Gregg Prentice, 61, Stupidcide
2021-09-22 19:26:28 UTC
<https://www.jpost.com/international/republican-committee-member-who-opposed-mask-mandates-dies-of-covid-679742>

Republican committee member who opposed mask mandates dies of COVID-19

Gregg Prentice, 61, led the Hillsborough County Election Integrity
Committee and was a critic of the vaccine, mask mandates, and other
preventative measures.

By SIMCHA PASKO SEPTEMBER 18, 2021 19:05

A Florida Republican official who fought against COVID-19 preventative
measures has died from COVID-19 in Tampa, several media outlets have
reported.

Gregg Prentice, 61, led the Hillsborough County Election Integrity
Committee and was a critic of the vaccine, mask mandates, and other
preventative measures. He was also critical of infection disease
expert Dr. Anthony Fauci, stating in a Facebook post, "End Faucism."

The Hillsborough County Republican Party Facebook has also made
several posts rallying against vaccine mandates, stating, "We must
stand United in Medical Freedom!"

Prentice developed the software the committee uses to submit monthly
financial reports and was the only one who knew how to use it.

The committee sent a letter to the FEC, noting they will be late to
file its finance data.

"For several years we have been submitting the reports electronically,
and for over a year we have done this with software developed by one
of our members, Gregg Prentice," the Hillsborough County Republican
Executive Committee wrote the FEC. "Unfortunately, Gregg passed away
suddenly from Covid 19 on Saturday, September 11, 2021. Gregg did not
share the software and instructions with our officers."

In addition to bookkeeping, Prentice also headed the election
integrity [sic] committee.

The committee hosted and honored Georgia Republican Congresswoman
Marjorie Taylor Greene at its annual fundraiser, an event that had
mostly maskless attendees. The event, according to the Tampa Bay
Times, went against CDC recommendations.
A Friend
2021-09-22 19:48:28 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
[...]
There's more about Prentice here:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gregg-prentice-anti-mask-florida-election-
official-dies-of-covid-and-takes-gop-software-secrets-with-him
Kenny McCormack
2021-09-22 21:41:16 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
<https://www.jpost.com/international/republican-committee-member-who-opposed-mask-mandates-dies-of-covid-679742>
Republican committee member who opposed mask mandates dies of COVID-19
Gregg Prentice, 61, led the Hillsborough County Election Integrity
Committee and was a critic of the vaccine, mask mandates, and other
preventative measures.
The best part about this story is the bit about the accounting software
that no one else can use. My understanding is that what actually happened
is that only he knew the password to the system. It makes you wonder how
many other ticking time bombs like this there are in our digital age.
Anybody could die at any moment, and if they've developed a lot of stuff
that other people rely on, it will probably all go with them (assuming, as
is usually the case, that they haven't trained anyone else to run it).

Anyway, thanks for the series of "Stupidcide" posts. I have this general
feeling that the masses (i.e., Republicans) are finally, slowly (i.e., to a
very limited extent) beginning to take this seriously. To realize that A)
It isn't a joke and B) It isn't going to "just go away" (like Dear Leader
said it would).

Realizing that Dear Leader lied to them is going to be a very, very bitter
pill to swallow.
http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/CLCtopics
Terry del Fuego
2021-09-22 23:54:47 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
The best part about this story is the bit about the accounting software
that no one else can use. My understanding is that what actually happened
is that only he knew the password to the system. It makes you wonder how
many other ticking time bombs like this there are in our digital age.
Anybody could die at any moment, and if they've developed a lot of stuff
that other people rely on, it will probably all go with them (assuming, as
is usually the case, that they haven't trained anyone else to run it).
I retired in late November of 2015 from [large, evil company you've
absolutely heard of]. I still receive an emailed series of three
reports every single day and have for the last almost six years. When
I first set the process up I had them sent to me at home as that was
the best way for me to be sure the relevant jobs were really running
during what were at the time "off hours", a concept that by the time I
retired had lost any and all meaning as we were pretty much just all
working all the time.

It's clear to me that, while the reports in question were designed to
point out issues (and, in fact, are currently doing so), no one has
looked at them since I've been gone and, as a result, presumably no
one has even taken a tiny little peek at the distribution list to see
where they're being sent. Not addressing the ongoing issues at best
means they're leaving money on the floor and at worst means they're
over-billing customers.

In my last months there I'd automated an extremely tedious process in
an unavoidably convoluted way that involved a combination of
mainframe, Linux and W*nd*ws. I attempted to train my "replacement" on
the Linux piece, but he simply put his foot down and refused (sure
wish I'd known that was an option when I was being told to work on
weekends and holidays for free). Within a couple days of my departure,
my Linux account was taken down and the user who had been happy to
only have to spend seconds on something that used to take hours was
back to having to spend hours on it.

This isn't 100% relevant to your point, and yet...
Post by Kenny McCormack
Anyway, thanks for the series of "Stupidcide" posts.
You're...welcome?
Post by Kenny McCormack
I have this general feeling that the masses (i.e., Republicans) are finally,
slowly (i.e., to a very limited extent) beginning to take this seriously. To
realize that A) It isn't a joke and B) It isn't going to "just go away" (like
Dear Leader said it would).
After reading a series of "more Americans [sic] have now died of COVID
in [single state] than died in the entire Vietnam War" and "It's more
than a 9/11 every day" and "Florida schoolchildren don't have to
quarantine after exposure" this morning I think I just snapped. When I
read that more Americans [sic] have now died of COVID in the last two
years than have died of AIDS in 30, I started thinking about how when
HIV was discovered to be the cause of AIDS, there were a few deniers
and skeptics and a few who insisted they'd just keep doing what they'd
been doing, but for the most part it seemed like the adults understood
what was at stake and were willing to take the simple steps could be
taken to avoid an excruciating death.

What's happening now makes me think that if these same idiots were
around then they'd have been marching in the streets and smearing
their shit on the Capitol walls insisting that God gave them the right
to have unprotected sex with children and that anyone attempting to
stop them from raping kids is a fascist.

Is it a stretch? Am I exaggerating? All I know for sure is that we
(mostly) know how not to spread COVID, that the necessary steps are
somewhat inconvenient and less than fully comfortable, but necessary
and effective. Yet these motherfucking worthless cunthead scumhole
dickbags are killing themselves, their parents, their children and
total strangers by the *thousands* every single god damned fucking
*day*. Some of them are just unreachably ignorant and/or stupid, but
anyone who doesn't believe that some of them know exactly what they're
doing and are doing it consciously and intentionally is either stupid
themselves or titillated by mass murder. [Insert multiple state
governor names here.]
Post by Kenny McCormack
Realizing that Dear Leader lied to them is going to be a very, very bitter
pill to swallow.
I don't know if they're ever going to realize it. Or maybe more
accurately, if they will ever fully admit it to themselves even when
their consciences (assuming the existence of such things in their
cases) begin screaming at them.

[Additional rant deleted.]
Kenny McCormack
2021-09-23 01:14:51 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>,
Terry del Fuego <***@hotmail.com> wrote:
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Kenny McCormack
Anyway, thanks for the series of "Stupidcide" posts.
You're...welcome?
No sarcasm intended. I always enjoy your posts.

So, yes, I'm welcome.
--
I've been watching cat videos on YouTube. More content and closer to
the truth than anything on Fox.
Terry del Fuego
2021-09-23 13:00:40 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Kenny McCormack
Anyway, thanks for the series of "Stupidcide" posts.
You're...welcome?
No sarcasm intended. I always enjoy your posts.
So, yes, I'm welcome.
I didn't take your response as sarcasm, I was just, in my typically
obscure way, noting that the entire situation is ridiculous. I'm
making posts that no one in a civilized country should ever have to
make because no civilized country would ever have a third of its
population trying to kill the other two thirds as well as themselves.

All birth is abuse.
Kenny McCormack
2021-09-23 15:23:11 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Kenny McCormack
Anyway, thanks for the series of "Stupidcide" posts.
You're...welcome?
No sarcasm intended. I always enjoy your posts.
So, yes, I'm welcome.
I didn't take your response as sarcasm,
OK
Post by Terry del Fuego
I was just, in my typically
obscure way, noting that the entire situation is ridiculous.
Ridiculous, yes, but entirely predictable. I suspect my view of the
general quality of the human race (and, more specifically, the American
public) is even lower than yours.

I really blame it all on the invention of FaceTwitGram. The intellectual
underclass has always been there, but prior to the invention of "social
media", they couldn't organize themselves.
Post by Terry del Fuego
I'm
making posts that no one in a civilized country should ever have to
make because no civilized country would ever have a third of its
population trying to kill the other two thirds as well as themselves.
All true, but yet entirely predictable, based on trends that have been
brewing for (at least) 40 years. I saw this all coming back in the 70s,
and, paradoxically, blame it, ultimately, on liberals. They built the tools
that Republicans were all to eager and willing to pick up and use against us.
Post by Terry del Fuego
All birth is abuse.
Indeed. Have you followed the work of David Benatar?
(South African, no relation to Pat, AFAICT)
http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/DanaC
Terry del Fuego
2021-09-24 00:29:02 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Ridiculous, yes, but entirely predictable. I suspect my view of the
general quality of the human race (and, more specifically, the American
public) is even lower than yours.
Merely being considered a competitor is a victory.
Post by Kenny McCormack
I really blame it all on the invention of FaceTwitGram. The intellectual
underclass has always been there, but prior to the invention of "social
media", they couldn't organize themselves.
I think more specifically the problem is that there is almost never a
genuinely useful invention that ambulatory garbage heaps won't figure
out how to weaponize. A way to keep in touch with people becomes a way
to spread conspira-lies. A way to "Star Trek"-ishly find out obscure
information about almost anything becomes just another way to spy on
people for the sake of selling them crap. Caller ID becomes a way to
make it look like the junk phone calls are coming from a neighbor.
Unmetered long distance becomes a way to steal a stranger's life
savings while safely in another country where they can't be touched.
Personal transportation becomes a way to kill people for having too
much melanin...or just to kill everyone because efficiency is
effeminate. I'm sure there's a much longer list to be made and the
more self-consciously "intellectual" would put television on it.

Granted, that phenomenon pre-dates modern technology (*cough* *cough*
police *cough* military), so I should have seen it coming. In my
defense, while I didn't get a computer of my own until 1990, that was
still a time when it seemed like figuring out how to use one was not
for the casually interested. So there remains some part of me that
can't quite reconcile the concept of a person figuring out how to get
on the Internet while simultaneously believing that "teh vaxin has a
traker and satans blodd" or whatever it is this week.
Post by Kenny McCormack
All true, but yet entirely predictable, based on trends that have been
brewing for (at least) 40 years. I saw this all coming back in the 70s,
and, paradoxically, blame it, ultimately, on liberals.
I blame *everything* on two groups: The bad people doing the bad
things and the optimists who refuse to grasp reality because all they
can do is glaze over and insist that it will all work out. And, no
matter how hard I try, I'm often guilty of the latter: I can think
dark thoughts, yet I'm still constantly surprised by what the scum are
actually able to do while continuing to live with themselves. One of
the few things I've actually been capable of learning is the
indisputable fact that no matter how bad *I* think things are, they're
always actually worse. The current example of that would involve all
the news leaking out about the last days of the Tr*mp regime.
Post by Kenny McCormack
They built the tools that Republicans were all to eager and willing
to pick up and use against us.
I have a harder time than you labeling the current crop as Republicans
or conservatives or whatever. Whatever my thoughts on "Republican" or
"conservative" politicians pre-2016, I'm at least willing to believe
that a significant number, perhaps even most of them, sincerely
believed they were doing the right thing. There's a huge debate to be
had about whether they were wrong and/or how wrong they were, but no
matter how much I despised Reagan, I don't think he got up in the
morning and thought to himself "Another day to say nothing but things
I know for a fact aren't true while I intentionally destroy everything
and everyone I can just for the sheer joy of profiting while I watch
it burn and listen to the screams."

Tr*mp, Greene, Cawthorn, Boebert, etc. have never, ever, not once in
their "lives" given any serious, adult consideration to ideas about
the proper role and size of government or anything like that. They've
somehow convinced themselves of...hell, I have no idea what,
honestly...and that everyone else is simply the enemy. Or, in Tr*mp's
case, just marks to be scammed blind. Team Tr*mp is the overseas
telescammer getting Grandma to give up her credit card number and bank
account information. There's no philosophy whatsoever there, just a
gaping hole that will never be filled.

The Joe Walshes and others with whom I have historically vehemently
disagreed but who at least potentially held sincere beliefs that they
truly thought were for the good have all left the Republican party.
What remains are psychotics, psychopaths and their enablers.
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by Terry del Fuego
All birth is abuse.
Indeed. Have you followed the work of David Benatar?
No, but just based on his Wikipedia entry, I'd say we're largely on
the same page, with the possible exception of the allegations of
anti-male discrimination. Though clearly he's put a lot of thought
into it and I'm not going to simply dismiss it based on a few
sentences in Wikipedia.

Literally the only morally acceptable excuse for not simply preventing
or terminating every single pregnancy everywhere is that it's
blatantly unfair to those who will make up the final generation.
Though for me to make such a blanket statement is also pretty
Americentric. Clearly there are at least *some* countries that don't
exist solely to milk everyone dry and then throw them away once
they're no longer useful. Probably. Maybe.

I'd like to believe that the fact that I can at least contemplate that
last paragraph makes me, even if only slightly, less hypocritical
than, just for one example, someone who with a straight face will say
"You can't abort that seven week old clump, but the instant it's old
enough to go to school I'm going to do everything I can to infect it
with a miserable and potentially fatal disease."
Kenny McCormack
2021-09-24 02:32:55 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
I'd like to believe that the fact that I can at least contemplate that
last paragraph makes me, even if only slightly, less hypocritical
than, just for one example, someone who with a straight face will say
"You can't abort that seven week old clump, but the instant it's old
enough to go to school I'm going to do everything I can to infect it
with a miserable and potentially fatal disease."
That has actually occcurred to me as well. That Pubbies are all up in arms
about abortion, but have no problem with killing their children by refusing
to get vaccinated.

That really should be a crime.
--
The key difference between faith and science is that in science, evidence that
doesn't fit the theory tends to weaken the theory (that is, make it less likely to
the assumption that Satan is testing you - trying to make you abandon your faith).
Kenny McCormack
2021-09-24 10:58:15 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
Literally the only morally acceptable excuse for not simply preventing
or terminating every single pregnancy everywhere is that it's
blatantly unfair to those who will make up the final generation.
Indeed. It is entirely clear that our economy is nothing more than a
pyramid scheme. Everything is fine - just keep borrowing from the future -
until it crashes and the last ones standing get crushed.

Pyramid schemes are fine, as long as you're not in the last row of the
pyramid.
--
They say that Trump is a stupid man's idea of a clever man, a poor man's
idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.

Well, Melania is an unclassy man's idea of classy.
Terry del Fuego
2021-09-24 16:50:49 UTC
On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 17:29:02 -0700, Terry del Fuego
Post by Terry del Fuego
Unmetered long distance becomes a way to steal a stranger's life
savings while safely in another country where they can't be touched.
Wandering even further off-topic:
<https://www.800forall.com/SearchWhoOwns.aspx>

Got another one of those "We've charged you $$$ for Norton, call this
number if you have any questions" spamscams yesterday. Called the
number to make sure it was still live, then looked it up at the above
link, found the provider, filed a ticket and woke up this morning to
find an email from them saying the number was taken down. Attempting
to call it shows that it is indeed gone.

Sure, they'll just get another one (and probably already have), but
I'd like to think that >0 people won't fall victim because they now
can't.

This particular coven of scammers is more aggressive than I've
previously seen. I called twice, hours apart, and both times the
person at the other end immediately called me back. I just kept
hanging up on the first one (he called *twice*), but
I...ahem...engaged with the second one. Probably a good thing that it
was hot by then so I had all the windows closed.
Kenny McCormack
2021-10-02 19:44:51 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Kenny McCormack
Indeed. Have you followed the work of David Benatar?
No, but just based on his Wikipedia entry, I'd say we're largely on
the same page, with the possible exception of the allegations of
anti-male discrimination. Though clearly he's put a lot of thought
into it and I'm not going to simply dismiss it based on a few
sentences in Wikipedia.
Thanks for the pointer to the Wikipedia article. Good read. That article
led me to WikiQuotes (see below).

I actually became aware of his existence via Sam Harris. Here is some more
info re: DB:

Conversation with Sam Harris:

From: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/David_Benatar

DB: Life's big questions are big in the sense that they are momentous. However,
contrary to appearances, they are not big in the sense of being unanswerable. It is
only that the answers are generally unpalatable. There is no great mystery, but there
is plenty of horror.

KM: What this says to me is that the search for an answer that is at least reasonably
accurate and, more importantly, palatable, continues.
--
I am not a troll.
Rick C. Hodgin