Summer 2018
Add Reply
Bryan Styble
2018-09-23 01:04:26 UTC
For those of less of an astronomical bent than I'm proud to be:

Y'all may kiss Summer 2018 goodbye forever within the hour, as sometime during the minute of 9:54 pm Eastern tonight shall be the instant when the sun appears to southwardly cross the equator, thus constituting the autumnal equinox, which as you may be well aware, is Latin for "equal nights".

May each and every alt.obiter enjoy a fantastic, fabulous and fulfilling fall!

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Bryan Styble
2018-09-23 01:20:21 UTC
Uh, I'm afraid the always-athirst alliterator in me failed momentarily there; clearly, my fingers should have typed "...a fun-filled, fantastic, fabulous, fulfilling and fortuitous fall."

STYBLE/Florida
Meteorite Debris
2018-09-23 01:48:22 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
Y'all may kiss Summer 2018 goodbye forever within the hour, as sometime during the minute of 9:54 pm Eastern tonight shall be the instant when the sun appears to southwardly cross the equator, thus constituting the autumnal equinox, which as you may be well aware, is Latin for "equal nights".
May each and every alt.obiter enjoy a fantastic, fabulous and fulfilling fall!
BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Au contraire. Summer has not yet began in my part of the world,
Australia.
Bryan Styble
2018-09-23 02:37:08 UTC
Uh...[however one says "au contraire" upside down]:

Actually NOT, my kind Down Under-correspondent, as Summer 2017/2018 in the Southern Hemisphere ended on March 20th at 12:15 pm Eastern--which I suppose placed that equinox on March 19th on your side of the International Date Line?--WHEREAS what commences on Friday, December 21st at 5:23 pm Eastern and thus sometime in the early morn hours also as December 21 for you Aussies, the Kiwis and all the duckbilled platypuses (or is it platypi?) shall indeed be your referenced summer, but of 2018/2019, not purely 2018, just as our winters (and NFL, NBA and NHL seasons) properly always include the virgule, better known to the disturbingly-punctuation-ignorant digital crowd as a [forward] "slash".

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Bryan Styble
2018-09-23 02:50:23 UTC
EXCUSE ME, please:

That blasted IDL often confuses my easily-confused mind; the 12:15 pm March 20, 2018 equinox would have occurred sometime early on March 21st in your part of the world, Sir/Madam Meteorite, obviously.

I and the Americas are equally grateful I wasn't Columbus's navigator (even though I did happen to have been born on the 462nd anniversary of his first expedition's historic landfall).

STYBLE/Florida