Nicolas Roeg, 90, director of "The Man Who Fell to Earth"
2018-11-24 18:45:29 UTC
I never knew he spelled it that way...

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1266&bih=850&ei=Apz5W7DaFa-5gge4gpvADQ&q=nicolas+roeg+90&oq=nicolas+roeg+90&gs_l=psy-ab.3...11495.14358..14749...1.0..0.84.445.6......0....1..gws-wiz.......0j0i131j0i30.JBy91X2qnQs

Right now the news is in the BBC, Variety, and Rolling Stone.

2018-11-24 19:43:11 UTC
"The Man who Fell to Earth" is a paradox of a film, at times brilliant, at times utterly impossible to follow, but clearly a movie unlike any other and I recommend it nonetheless. It is one film which would be nearly impossible to remake because David Bowie absolutely nailed the lead role of the alien who came to Earth to get water for his dying planet but soon found himself corrupted by human weaknesses, money and sex and alcohol, and I can't imagine any other actor who could pull off the role.
RHDraney
2018-11-25 00:20:42 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
"The Man who Fell to Earth" is a paradox of a film, at times brilliant, at times utterly impossible to follow, but clearly a movie unlike any other and I recommend it nonetheless. It is one film which would be nearly impossible to remake because David Bowie absolutely nailed the lead role of the alien who came to Earth to get water for his dying planet but soon found himself corrupted by human weaknesses, money and sex and alcohol, and I can't imagine any other actor who could pull off the role.
And yet, remake it they did, in 1987, with Lewis Smith as the central
character, and featuring both Robert Picardo and Wil Wheaton...I had the
misfortune of being able to see it on one of the digital channels a year
or so ago....r
danny burstein
2018-11-25 02:34:16 UTC
Post by RHDraney
Post by Michael OConnor
"The Man who Fell to Earth" is a paradox of a film, at times brilliant, at times utterly impossible to follow, but clearly a movie unlike any other and I recommend it nonetheless. It is one film which would be nearly impossible to remake because David Bowie absolutely nailed the lead role of the alien who came to Earth to get water for his dying planet but soon found himself corrupted by human weaknesses, money and sex and alcohol, and I can't imagine any other actor who could pull off the role.
And yet, remake it they did, in 1987, with Lewis Smith as the central
character, and featuring both Robert Picardo and Wil Wheaton...I had the
misfortune of being able to see it on one of the digital channels a year
or so ago....r
Some things I'm better off not even hearing about.

dannyb actually walked out of the original movie.
***@panix.com
2018-11-25 17:45:55 UTC
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 11:43:11 -0800 (PST), Michael OConnor
Post by Michael OConnor
"The Man who Fell to Earth" is a paradox of a film, at times
brilliant, at times utterly impossible to follow
It helps to read the book first. In some ways, the movie shows you
everything but just assumes you're also magically aware of some
essential exposition.

Presumably it also helps to see Roeg's cut and not the much shorter
version that originally played in the US, though never having seen the
truncated one I can't personally say for sure.
Post by Michael OConnor
David Bowie absolutely nailed the lead role
Couldn't agree more.
Post by Michael OConnor
And yet, remake it they did, in 1987, with Lewis Smith as the central
character, and featuring both Robert Picardo and Wil Wheaton...I had the
misfortune of being able to see it on one of the digital channels a year
or so ago....r
I had no idea. Coincidentally, I first became aware of Roeg due to his
DP work on Truffaut's "Fahrenheit 451", another movie that was
unnecessarily remade, though much more recently.
l***@yahoo.com
2018-11-25 21:03:16 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Right now the news is in the BBC, Variety, and Rolling Stone.
But, for some reason, when I turned on CBS this morning at 9, there was no mention of him, even though there was yesterday, on that channel! (I missed that.)

Also, I couldn't find any other TV channel that mentioned him. Sad.

Besides, there's "Walkabout" to consider!

Our teacher showed us that in 4th grade - not sure why.

Lenona.
RHDraney
2018-11-26 01:23:20 UTC
Because there's nudity in it?...r
l***@yahoo.com
2018-11-26 15:09:41 UTC
Post by RHDraney
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Besides, there's "Walkabout" to consider!
Our teacher showed us that in 4th grade - not sure why.
Because there's nudity in it?...r
Not "because" of that. I do remember the teacher mildly scolding anyone who was snickering.

I seem to remember that the volume was deliberately turned way down - not all the way - so that we would be forced to interpret the movie in a more abstract way, which I think was fitting.

Lenona.
b***@gmail.com
2018-11-28 12:02:30 UTC
Wow I just watched ‘outback’ the day he died,