Katherine MacGregor, 93, Little House/Prairie actress (Mrs. Oleson)
2018-11-14 17:47:26 UTC
https://www.programme-tv.net/news/series-tv/218975-la-petite-maison-dans-la-prairie-katherine-macgregor-mrs-oleson-est-decedee/

Apologies! The breakthrough obit is in French:

Programme TV News Séries TV

La Petite Maison dans la prairie : Katherine MacGregor (Harriet Oleson) est décédée ...

"Little House on the Prairie" debuted when I was in grade school, and no self-respecting boy would watch or admit to watching it because "Prairie" and "The Waltons" (opposite "Kung FU" when it premiered) were considered to be "girls' shows."

Having seen reruns in the intervening years, I'll have to admit that they were both well-crafted programmes -- not great TV but watchable and enjoyable.

Ms. MacGregor's "Mrs. Oleson" character was so obnoxious and clueless. My favourite Mrs. Oleson moment came when the circus was in town. Circus performer Billy Barty comes up to the general store's counter and Mrs. Oleson calls to her husband in the back room, "Why, Lars! Look, it's a midget!"
That Derek
2018-11-14 20:21:45 UTC
Ohttps://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/katherine-macgregor-dead-harriet-oleson-little-house-prairie-was-93-1161142

TV

Katherine MacGregor, the Meddlesome Harriet Oleson on 'Little House on the Prairie,' Dies at 93

9:39 AM PST 11/14/2018
by Mike Barnes

The veteran stage actress appeared on all nine seasons of the long-running NBC drama.

Katherine MacGregor, who portrayed the gossipy Harriet Oleson on the long-running NBC drama Little House on the Prairie, has died. She was 93.

MacGregor died Tuesday at the Motion Picture and Television Fund's retirement home in Woodland Hills, a spokeswoman confirmed.

From 1974 to 1983, MacGregor appeared as Harriet, the wife of mild-mannered Mercantile general store owner Nels Oleson (Richard Bull), on 153 episodes of Little House on the Prairie, covering all nine seasons of the series that was set in the 1870s and '80s in Walnut Grove, Minn.

"I look for the humor of Mrs. Oleson," she told the Santa Cruz Sentinel in 1981. "She was originally painted as just black-and-white mean. Anyone that mean has to be a fool. So I began mixing farce into it. I think the audience counts on seeing Mrs. Oleson fall on her fanny."

Melissa Gilbert, who starred as Laura Ingalls Wilder on the series, paid tribute to MacGregor on Twitter.

After Little House on the Prairie ended, MacGregor appeared onscreen only once more, in a 2014 short film. She was said to be on a pilgrimage in India during the filming of the post-series TV movie The Last Farewell in 1984.

Born Dorlee Deane MacGregor on Jan. 12, 1925, she was raised in Fort Collins, Colo., attended Denver University and graduated from Northwestern. She moved to New York in 1949 and studied under Sanford Meisner, Stella Adler and N. Richard Nash, who cast her on Broadway in 1958's Handful of Fire.

Billed as Scottie McGregor, she appeared in a national tour of The Seven Year Itch in the mid-1950s and played a longshoreman's mother in Elia Kazan's On the Waterfront (1954). She later had guest-starring roles on such series as East Side/West Side, Mannix, Emergency!, All in the Family and Ironside.