Charles Baird Parker, 61, son of jazz great
2014-03-30 13:31:17 UTC
http://www.philly.com/philly/obituaries/20140330_Charles_Baird_Parker__61__son_of_jazz_great.html

Charles Baird Parker, son of jazz great
Bonnie L. Cook, Inquirer Staff Writer

Charles Baird Parker, 61, of Lansdale, the sole surviving child of the jazz saxophone great Charlie "Bird" Parker, died Sunday, March 23, at Lansdale Hospital of kidney, liver, and respiratory failure.

News of Mr. Parker's death was released by his attorney, Albert Oehrle.

Mr. Parker's father died in 1955 at age 34 while in mid-career as a jazz soloist. He helped create bebop, characterized by quick tempos and improvisation.

His mother, Chan Woods, a dancer, died in 1999 at age 74 in Champmotteux, France.

Many years ago, she wrote of her son: "The jazz world expected Baird to fill Bird's shoes. Those expectations almost destroyed him.

"Now he is a baker for his local Acme. He is not in need of the money, but he likes to work, and he's always liked to cook. I am very proud of him."

Mr. Parker had not been employed for many years. He received royalties from his father's copyrights.

He is survived by a daughter, Julie Ann, and a stepdaughter, Lesley Jane Leight.

Mr. Parker's sister, Pree, died as an infant. A half-sister also survives.

Funeral plans were pending.

***@phillynews.com 610-313-8102

© Copyright 2014 Interstate General Media, LLC
That Derek
2014-03-31 05:18:43 UTC
Charlie Parker's son worked as a baker. Did Chet Baker's son work as a parker?
c***@aol.com
2014-03-31 11:11:24 UTC
I bet it took you all day to come up with that lame attempt at humor.
Steve Hayes
2014-03-31 17:04:41 UTC
Post by c***@aol.com
I bet it took you all day to come up with that lame attempt at humor.
I didn't say a thing.

---
Ignore the following - it's spambot fodder.

***@yahoo.gr
***@yahoo.gr
***@yahoo.gr
***@yahoo.gr
***@gmail.com
m***@gmail.com
2017-03-21 00:20:46 UTC
He lived a good life, growing up in Paris. - actually just nearby in Le Vesinet France. And he was a talented guitarist!

Mike Kent
j***@brearley.org
2018-07-15 12:56:33 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
He lived a good life, growing up in Paris. - actually just nearby in Le Vesinet France. And he was a talented guitarist!
Mike Kent
We were friends in Bucks County, Pa and Paris in 68-69. He was a really good guy and his parents were terrific. We reconnected by phone shortly before he died.

Jacques Houis