Semi-OT: The "right-of-way" on a sidewalk - and COVID
Lenona
2021-07-26 21:41:40 UTC
Note - most pedestrians, PRE-pandemic, didn't actually expect you to risk your life by stepping off the sidewalk when you and some large group are walking toward each other. Groups, whether young, old, male, or female, just tend to be oblivious to the fact that they ARE hogging the sidewalk when they could be walking in single file instead.

The trick is for the single pedestrian to walk firmly and close to the wall, if there is one. Only on rare occasions will anyone glare at you for forcing the group to break rank. (If it's a REALLY narrow sidewalk, I'll just stop walking, to avoid shoving someone - but I'm not going to flatten myself against a wall that could be dirty, either.)

But...things are worse now, apparently. Some people can't seem to grasp that it IS very rude to expect anyone to step into the road.

Quote:
"My area is full of passive aggressive people and she is a shining example.
When I act completely oblivious to their drama it infuriates them every time."

http://www.refugees.bratfree.com/read.php?2,441751
J.D. Baldwin
2021-07-27 15:46:51 UTC
Post by Lenona
Note - most pedestrians, PRE-pandemic, didn't actually expect you to
risk your life by stepping off the sidewalk when you and some large
group are walking toward each other. Groups, whether young, old,
male, or female, just tend to be oblivious to the fact that they ARE
hogging the sidewalk when they could be walking in single file
instead. The trick is for the single pedestrian to walk firmly and
close to the wall, if there is one. Only on rare occasions will
anyone glare at you for forcing the group to break rank. (If it's a
REALLY narrow sidewalk, I'll just stop walking, to avoid shoving
someone - but I'm not going to flatten myself against a wall that
could be dirty, either.)
Since moving to the big city, I have said in my head at least ten
thousand times, "The social convention is to walk to the RIGHT." Two
or three times, I've actually said it out loud.

During the pandemic, I never wore a mask outdoors (because it's so
obviously stupid). A few times when I saw a group of people walking
four abreast coming toward me on the sidewalk, I started theatrically
coughing and sniffling. I'm kind of an asshole like that.