Sid Haig, 80; Legendary cult-actor with 150 acting credits over 60 year career
Add Reply
a***@gmail.com
2019-09-23 11:31:53 UTC
https://popculture.com/celebrity/2019/09/23/sid-haig-dead-80-devils-rejects-star-horror-legend/

Horror actor Sid Haig, famous for films like Devil's Reject and House of 1000 Corpses as well as his role of Captain Spaulding in Rob Zombie films, died on Saturday, his wife said. He was 80.

Haig's wife, Susan L. Oberg, took to Instagram to make the announcement about a week after Haig was admitted to the hospital with serious breathing complications after suffering a fall.

"On Saturday, September 21, 2019, my light, my heart, my true love, my King, the other half of my soul, Sidney, passed from this realm on to the next," the statement reads. "He has returned to the Universe, a shining star in her heavens. He was my angel, my husband, my best friend and always will be. He adored his family, his friends and his fans. This came as a shock to all of us.

"We, as a family, are asking that our privacy and time to mourn be respected. Sidney Eddie Mosesian. 7/14/39 - 9/21/19. Husband, Father, Grandfather, Friend. Goodnight, my love. We will find each other again, next time. I love you.

Following a "nasty spill" a week ago, the cult film superstar was transferred to the ICU but despite reports of his health improving, it declined.

Fans shared their condolences on social media for the horror star, who appeared in several Rob Zombie movies over the years and whose final performance as the iconic character Captain Spaulding can be seen in Zombie's latest 3 From Hell.

Haig also had a leading role in the CBS TV series Jason of Star Command as the villain Dragos. Throughout his long-running film career, he starred in the Quentin Tarantino movies Jackie Brown and Kill Bill Vol. 2. He also appeared in several blaxploitation movies during the 1970s opposite Pam Greer including Coffy, Foxy Brown and Black Mama, White Mama.

Haig is survived by his wife Susan Oberg.
Terry del Fuego
2019-09-23 13:04:14 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Horror actor Sid Haig, famous for films like Devil's Reject and House
of 1000 Corpses as well as his role of Captain Spaulding in Rob
Zombie films, died on Saturday, his wife said. He was 80.
Whenever I think of Sid Haig, this is the first thing that comes to
mind:

When I saw this movie in a theater in 1981 it was titled "Planet of
Horrors". Then I saw reference in Playboy to what was clearly the same
movie, only they called it "Mindwarp: An Infinity of Terror". The home
videos I've seen title it "Galaxy of Terror", though the Laserdisc has
an incredibly obvious and disruptive pair of splices where that title
has clearly replaced whatever was previously there.

Apparently "Mindwarp" was the title long enough for someone to cut a
trailer for it:

Also notable for being a very early bit of James Cameron's work. And,
most important of all, for being That Movie Where Erin Moran Explodes
Into Bloody Chunks, though others think of it as That Sick Trash Where
A Giant Maggot Rapes A Woman.

It's objectively dumb, bad exploitative trash. And entertaining.
That Derek
2019-09-23 15:22:05 UTC
The first time I encountered Sid Haig was circa 1976-77 when he was a semi-regular named "Tex" on "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman."

It seemed Tex was the boyfriend to Lila (Marjorie Battles), the maid to shady Mayor Merle Jeeter (Dabney Coleman). Lila had knowledge of Jeeter's corruption and utilized this intel to force Mayor Jeeter into appointing Tex as Fernwood's sheriff,

Tex hooked up with factory supervisor Vernon Bails (David Byrd) and the two of them introduced a crypto-Klan front organisation to Fernwood, killed factory janitor Dewey Johnson (Richard Ward), the only black man in town, and framed Tom Hartman (Greg Mullavey) for the murder. The mayor's wife (Marian Mercer) comes forward and exonerating Tom by claiming she was there the night of the arson-murde while having maintained an illict affair with Johnson, and accusing Tex and Bails.

Confronted by the townsfolk Tex pulls out a grenade which ends up killing the two villains.

About a week later, Haig and Byrd showed up in drag as their characters' widows in a silly throwaway cameo.

Otherwise, I would see Sid Haig in some late 1960s biker films. I never gravitated towards the genres of movies in which Haig excelled
Travoltron
2019-09-24 01:32:31 UTC
It seems like this guy was on every TV show during the 70s and 80s, so I
must have seen him a lot, even though I can't really place him.

But I do remember his role as the Lawgiver of Landru on Star Trek where
he walked around in a cloak and he brainwashed Sulu into the Landru cult
with his magic staff.
Michael OConnor
Ohhh Myyy!
RH Draney
2019-09-24 08:12:24 UTC
Post by Travoltron
It seems like this guy was on every TV show during the 70s and 80s, so I
must have seen him a lot, even though I can't really place him.
But I do remember his role as the Lawgiver of Landru on Star Trek where
he walked around in a cloak and he brainwashed Sulu into the Landru cult
with his magic staff.
Check out his early role in "Spider Baby"...no dialogue, and his
signature beard is absent, but boy does he make an impression....

Here's the best part, the dinner scene where the conversation turns to
horror movies, with Lon Chaney Jr right there at the head of the table:

Right after Lon points out that there's going to be a full moon that
night, stick around for closeups of the Merrye kids, including Sid,
enjoying their enforced vegan diet....r