Semi-OT: plants that are deadly to pets
Lenona
2021-03-02 02:31:01 UTC
As you'll see when you read all the way through, it's not only about cats.

Also, when you scroll down the comments, you'll see what one person said about scented oils and potpourri.

https://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/2021/2/27/1/cats-curiosity-about-floral-arrangement-could#disqus-comments

DEAR ABBY: A beautiful flower arrangement was delivered to me at my home today. While on the phone, I told my friend about the thoughtful gift and mentioned that my two cats wouldn't leave it alone. She said, "I hope there aren't any lilies in it!" There were, Abby -- white oriental lilies. I Googled it and discovered they are very poisonous to cats, although not to other animals. When I called the florist, they claimed not to know. Thought your readers should! -- LOVES MY FELINES

DEAR LOVES: I agree. And thank you for sharing that information. I learned from my own Google search that lilies are not the only flowers that are poisonous for pets. Azaleas, daffodils, amaryllis, chrysanthemums, tulips, oleander, hyacinth, English ivy, sago palm, cyclamen, autumn crocus, widow's thrill, hydrangea, aloe vera, caladium, pothos, philodendron, lily of the valley, castor bean, poinsettia, asparagus fern, peace lily and corn plants can be lethal as well. Kitty lovers, be warned!
Terry del Fuego
2021-03-02 13:57:43 UTC
Post by Lenona
Also, when you scroll down the comments, you'll see what one person said
about scented oils and potpourri.
Dr. Bronner's unscented liquid soap is fantastic for de-stenchifying
catboxes without essential oils.
g***@blanston.com
2021-03-04 02:38:32 UTC
True. Triffids are also pretty bad-ass.
Lenona
2021-03-04 14:33:19 UTC
True. Triffids are also pretty bad-ass.
Ha ha.

You forgot to mention one of the worse Star Trek episodes - "The Apple."

Btw, I remember seeing, over 40 years ago, a B&W comic of Tarzan rescuing a hunter from a man-eating plant that looked like a disc of thick leaves, lying flat on the ground - until the hunter stepped on it and the leaves all folded up, making it look like a giant artichoke. It also had shortish tentacles, which grabbed the hunter's legs first.

(Most fictional man-eating plants either look like Venus fly-traps or hydras, so that one was somewhat different.)