Donald Rumsfeld, twice U.S. Secretary of Defense, 88
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-06-30 19:50:59 UTC
One of the greats, in my considerably biased view. Look for the obits to trumpet the remarkable fact that Rumsfeld was BOTH the youngest AND oldest Defense Secretary ever.

And that much-lampooned "known unknowns" quote makes PERFECT SENSE...that is, IF one reads it carefully and thinks it through.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
J.D. Baldwin
2021-06-30 20:45:42 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
One of the greats, in my considerably biased view. Look for the
obits to trumpet the remarkable fact that Rumsfeld was BOTH the
youngest AND oldest Defense Secretary ever.
And that much-lampooned "known unknowns" quote makes PERFECT
SENSE...that is, IF one reads it carefully and thinks it through.
Donald Rumsfeld said a lot of intelligent things that were widely
mocked by the pseudointellectuals who populate Washington. I didn't
think he was a particuarly great man or a particularly great SecDef,
but he was competent and (basically) honest and that puts him in the
top 1% of that crowd for sure.

Maybe I'm biased because he was a VS pilot. RIP
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-06-30 21:11:16 UTC
Now, maybe this didn't make him or his two Pentagon tenures great PER SE...but Rumsfeld's literal lending of his Secretarial hand to that survivor's stretcher outside the Pentagon on that Tuesday morning in 2001 made for what has to be the greatest photograph ever of a Defense Secretary in action, doncha think?

STYBLE/Florida
Louis Epstein
2021-06-30 21:20:01 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
One of the greats, in my considerably biased view. Look for the obits to
trumpet the remarkable fact that Rumsfeld was BOTH the youngest AND oldest
Defense Secretary ever.
CNN says he was SECOND oldest...MSN says oldest.
I think Leon Panetta edged him out in 2013.
Post by ***@gmail.com
And that much-lampooned "known unknowns" quote makes PERFECT SENSE...that
is, IF one reads it carefully and thinks it through.
BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
(The MSN article is in my current iteration attended by a currently
oft-seen photo of a dark-haired woman in a low-cut spaghetti-strapped
dress,in front of a General Motors sponsor backdrop,captioned "Remember
Her? This is Why She's Not Acting Anymore." The photo and caption
link to Gazillions.com where there is a gallery of allegedly
"blacklisted" (all tagged as such) performers who most often have
NOT been blacklisted,and the photo used to lure you to the link
does not appear anywhere in the gallery...I'm not sure who it is).

Meteorite Debris
2021-06-30 22:44:30 UTC
No great loss. Too bad about the imperial loss of life under his secretariat. But hey, they're only the outlining provinces. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Lenona
2021-07-01 14:25:24 UTC
Post by Meteorite Debris
No great loss. Too bad about the imperial loss of life under his secretariat. But hey, they're only the outlining provinces. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Can't find it right now, but, from The Boondocks (not verbatim):

Huey: You know what I'd like? To make thousands of clones of Bush and Rumsfeld.

Caesar: (looking puzzled) Why would you-

Huey: SO THEY CAN GO FIGHT THEIR OWN DAMN WARS!