Chauncey Howell, WABC-tv news, NYC, 86
danny burstein
2021-09-24 03:06:55 UTC
[twitter]

Tweet from ABC7NY Accounts
Bill Ritter
@billritter7
RIP Chauncey Howell ... former @ABC7NY
reporter .. died on Monday. He was 86. He was a character - and a lover of
telling the stories of New Yorkers.
========
https://twitter.com/billritter7/status/1441110962052878339
***@panix.com
2021-09-24 14:54:02 UTC
To me, Chauncey Howell always struck me as WABC/Channel 7’s Eyewitness News’s answer to NBC’s Willard Scott – bald avuncular type,10 to 15 pounds overweight. I remember, circa 1983, him doing a post-blizzard fluff piece where he’s seen cavorting in the snow with out-of-school kids with the staged end-result of Howell being pummeled with snowballs.

Years later on Labour Day 1989, I decided to sojourn outside NYC via a Port Authority bus, and attend the Renaissance Faire in Tuxedo NY, Adjacent to a pit designed for medieval-era mud wrestlers, I spotted Eyewitness News cameras and several feet beyond them was him -- replete with his perennial bow-tie and blazer!

I inquired of a local “Is that Chauncey Howell?” and was assured “Yes, he’s doing a story about the fair for Channel 7.”

Great! I left the city to get away from goofballs like Chauncey Howell!”

Between him and Willard Scott, it looks like September 2021 is turning out to be a bad month for NYC-based “bald avuncular” TV news types who specialized in silly stories.
Louis Epstein
2021-09-26 05:59:49 UTC
Post by danny burstein
[twitter]
Tweet from ABC7NY Accounts
Bill Ritter
@billritter7
reporter .. died on Monday. He was 86. He was a character - and a lover of
telling the stories of New Yorkers.
As a WNBC watcher of longstanding I remember Howell from his
time there rather than at the rival station.
(I know many on-air personnel migrated between stations).
He always seemed icky.
Post by danny burstein
========
https://twitter.com/billritter7/status/1441110962052878339