Deathwatch: "The Jerry Springer Show" (1991-2019) - yielding to "Judge Jerry"
2018-10-24 13:05:03 UTC
https://nypost.com/2018/10/22/judge-jerry-springer-is-coming-to-your-tv-next-fall/

Entertainment

‘Judge Jerry’ Springer is coming to your TV next fall

By Michael Starr

October 22, 2018 | 9:28pm

Jerry Springer is taking you to court.

Springer, 74, will host a new syndicated daytime courtroom show called “Judge Jerry,” The Post has learned. The series, produced by NBCUniversal, will handle small-claims cases, sources say.

It’s targeted to premiere next fall, following the 28th and final season of Springer’s over-the-top daytime program, “The Jerry Springer Show,” notorious for its outlandish segments — “I’m Happy I Cut off My Legs!”, “You Slept with My Stripper Sister!” — and fistfights between lowbrow guests. It even inspired a musical, “Jerry Springer: The Opera.”

“Judge Jerry” will feature Springer — a former attorney, news anchor and politician — wearing a judge’s robe and seated behind a desk.

It’s expected to incorporate some elements of his notoriously rowdy current program, including a raucous, fist-pumping studio audience breaking into chants of “Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!” and Springer ending the show with his signature line, “Take care of yourself, and each other.”

Like other daytime court shows, including Judy ­Sheindlin’s top-rated “Judge Judy,” “Judge Jerry” will feature a bailiff and will be taped in a courtroom setting, with two litigants squaring off against each other and Springer presiding over the cases and rendering a verdict.

The show will be taped in Stamford, Conn., which has been the longtime studio home of “Jerry Springer” and NBCUniversal’s other daytime shows, “Steve Wilkos” and “Maury.”

“Judge Jerry” is expected to air in the same time slots as “Jerry Springer,” which currently airs at 3 p.m. weekdays on WPIX/Channel 11 in New York City.

It will join a crowded docket of TV court shows, including “The People’s Court” (which also tapes in Stamford), “Judge Hatchett,” “Judge Mathis,” “Hot Bench” (created and produced by Sheindlin), “Divorce Court,” “Caught in Providence,” “Lauren Lake’s Paternity Court” and “Justice with Judge Mablean.”

“Judge Jerry” marks the next TV chapter for Springer, who graduated from Forest Hills HS, earned a law degree from Northwestern University and, in 1968, was a campaign adviser to Robert F. Kennedy. In 1971, he was elected to Cincinnati’s City Council and then served as the city’s mayor for one year.

In 1982, he was hired as a political reporter/commentator by Cincinnati’s ­WLWT-TV, becoming its top-rated news anchor. In 1997, at the height of “The Jerry Springer Show,” he joined WMAQ-TV in Chicago as a news commentator. He’s a frequent political commentator, mostly on MSNBC.

NBCUniversal officials had no comment.
Larc
2018-10-24 14:06:47 UTC
On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 06:05:03 -0700 (PDT), That Derek <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

| https://nypost.com/2018/10/22/judge-jerry-springer-is-coming-to-your-tv-next-fall/
|
| Entertainment
|
| ‘Judge Jerry’ Springer is coming to your TV next fall
|
| By Michael Starr
|
| October 22, 2018 | 9:28pm
|
| Jerry Springer is taking you to court.
|
| Springer, 74, will host a new syndicated daytime courtroom show called “Judge Jerry,” The Post has learned. The series, produced by NBCUniversal, will handle small-claims cases, sources say.

If his longtime TV show is any indicator, I'm guessing "Judge" Jerry's court will
mainly be one for trash involved in trashy claims situations. Only rarely anybody or
anything even bordering on respectable.

Larc
d***@gmail.com

Jerry is an attorney. This show has potential. People have a need for justice and many don’t get it. That explains the NUMBER of court shows.
me
That's right! When was the last time Judge Judy heard a bear-on-a-unicycle case?
RHDraney
2018-10-24 17:21:05 UTC
And a bear on a unicycle playing the trombone....r
MJ Emigh
2018-10-24 19:31:48 UTC
Like other daytime court shows, “Judge Jerry” will feature a bailiff
Can you imagine the auditions for that role? Could be anything from a pro wrestler (or rassler) type to an artificially large-breasted gal in a bikini. Or, better yet, how 'bout a transgendered combination of the two?
David Carson
2018-10-24 21:17:29 UTC
Post by MJ Emigh
Like other daytime court shows, “Judge Jerry” will feature a bailiff
Can you imagine the auditions for that role? Could be anything from a pro wrestler (or rassler) type to an artificially large-breasted gal in a bikini. Or, better yet, how 'bout a transgendered combination of the two?
Since Springer is a white man, by daytime judge show convention, the
bailiff will be black, and the odds are good it will be a woman.