Eminent Elizabethans II:James Brokenshire 1968-2021
2021-10-09 03:54:48 UTC
And another in my decades-long series of "Eminent Elizabethans II"...
deceased persons achieving notability in the realms of,during
lifespans entirely within the reign of,Queen Elizabeth II;
I think I started in 1999 and most recently posted on Major-General
Matthew Holmes,in the past week,but hard on the heels of his
apparent suicide has come the the death of a former Cabinet
Minister.

James Brokenshire,who served in Theresa May's Cabinet and returned
to the junior-ministerial ranks under Boris Johnson,born January 8th
1968,died October 7th 2021 according to the BBC and others...he had retired
in July from his last ministerial post after being on leave since January
as his struggles with lung cancer (he was a non-smoker) continued not to
meet with success.

2021-10-15 20:58:55 UTC
In alt.talk.royalty Louis Epstein <***@top.put.com> wrote:
Now the third in half a month in my decades-long series of
"Eminent Elizabethans II"...
deceased persons achieving notability in the realms of,during
lifespans entirely within the reign of,Queen Elizabeth II;
I started in 1999 and most recently posted on James Brokenshire,
a former Cabinet Minister...now comes the murder of his Parliamentary
colleague.

Sir David Andrew Anthony Amess,
born March 26th 1952,who served as an MP since 1983,
was stabbed repeatedly and died as a result on October 15th 2021.
The BBC and others are covering the story,the Guardian site has a
latest-developents (tons of condolence statements) ticker...
the apparent assailant was quickly apprehended.
(Terrorist connections are apparently suspected).

For now at least he eclipses Dame Cheryl Gillan (April 21 1952-April 4 2021)
as the longest-lived of the EE II.

radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-10-16 05:21:29 UTC
Yo [honorary] Sir Louis:

Just wondering: should I expire whilst Elizabeth II is still on the throne, will I get thusly rostered, having been born in 1954?

Or do I have to be British? Or am I just insufficiently eminent?

(Merely thinking ahead here, armchair historian Epstein!)

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-10-16 06:05:08 UTC
While awaiting your response to my musing, Louis, I should point out that I, for one, would relish seeing this imagined solution for those British just plain tired of Princes Andrew and Harry, the race-hustler Markle, all the silly hoopla re Diana, et al.:

The Brits could just dispense with the entire House of Windsor, electing to accept Elizabeth's abdication--admittedly a considerably less-crimson spectacle than subjecting her to the twin fates of Lady Jane Grey and Charles I--in favor of the installation of some quickly-recruited and surely-willing (and granted, quite possibly Cockney-accented, pub-frequenting and ever-ale-nursing) descendant of Aethelred the Unready, thusly engineering a long-overdue restoration of the House of Wessex.

Onboard with this idea, Louis?

STYBLE/Florida
Louis Epstein
2021-10-16 22:57:46 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
While awaiting your response to my musing, Louis, I should point out that I,
for one, would relish seeing this imagined solution for those British just
plain tired of Princes Andrew and Harry, the race-hustler Markle, all the silly
The Brits could just dispense with the entire House of Windsor, electing to
accept Elizabeth's abdication--
NEVER abdicating is a very solemn obligation Her Majesty knows better than to
shirk.
Post by ***@gmail.com
admittedly a considerably less-crimson spectacle
than subjecting her to the twin fates of Lady Jane Grey and Charles I--in favor
of the installation of some quickly-recruited and surely-willing (and granted,
quite possibly Cockney-accented, pub-frequenting and ever-ale-nursing)
descendant of Aethelred the Unready, thusly engineering a long-overdue
restoration of the House of Wessex.
You forget that the British monarchs subsequent to 1154
have indeed BEEN descendants of the House of Wessex.
Post by ***@gmail.com
Onboard with this idea, Louis?
For a lineal heir of Aethelred I (elder brother of Alfred the Great)
I could see it...but not for a picked-at-random fellow descendant
of Aethelred II.

Aethelred II->Edward the Exile->St. Margaret of Scotland->Edith/Matilda->
Empress Matilda->Henry II->John->Henry III->Edward I->Edward II->etc.
Post by ***@gmail.com
STYBLE/Florida

2021-10-16 07:30:53 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Just wondering: should I expire whilst Elizabeth II is still on the throne,
will I get thusly rostered, having been born in 1954?
Or do I have to be British? Or am I just insufficiently eminent?
You have to become famous among British,Canadians,Australians,Jamaicans,or other
subjects of QE II whether or not one of them yourself.