OT: Edna Wright, Honey Cone, has died
t***@iwvisp.com
2020-09-12 19:13:47 UTC
OT I believe, unless Bruce or Roger can successfully dig further. Posting here for the interesting 1964 recording mentioned by Hale & the Hushabyes.

Unconfirmed but from a reliable source, Edna Wright, cofounder and lead singer of the R&B group Honey Cone, has died. Honey Cone was a one hit wonder in 1971 with “Want Ads, which reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.” Wright was the younger sister of Darlene Love. Following is a brief Wiki bio...

Edna Wright, a Los Angeles native, grew up singing in the church. Her father, Bishop J.W. Wright, was a pastor at King's Holiness Chapel in Los Angeles. She began her career in a gospel group called The COGIC (Church of God in Christ) singers in 1960.

Through her sister, singer Darlene Love, she met producer Phil Spector. Jack Nitzsche, an associate of Spector, produced her first feature recording in 1964. Wright sang lead on "Yes Sir, That's My Baby" by Hale and the Hushabyes which was a pseudonym for a group that included Brian Wilson, Sonny & Cher, Jackie DeShannon. That year she released her debut solo single "A Touch of Venus," which led to a nationwide nightclub tour.

Between 1965 and 1967, Wright recorded as Sandy Wynns. She then became a backing vocalist for the Righteous Brothers, Johnny Rivers then for Ray Charles who asked her to join the Raelettes.
t***@iwvisp.com
2020-09-12 19:21:07 UTC
On Topic Here but posted to the wrong group. Carry on.
Jason
2020-09-12 20:44:49 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
On Topic Here but posted to the wrong group. Carry on.
Did the cause of death involve a stick-up? Highway robbery??

Dug
2020-09-12 20:36:55 UTC
Honeycone actually had 3 hits, all in 1971. Want Ads is their best known and hit #1. But "Stick Up" and "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show" both made it into the top 20. All three were really fun and dance oriented songs. Edna Wright had a fantastic voice.
Diner
2020-09-12 22:57:37 UTC
https://www.showbiz411.com/2020/09/12/rip-rb-superstar-edna-wright-of-70s-girl-group-the-honey-cone-sister-of-darlene-love-dies-at-age-76
RIP R&B Superstar Edna Wright of 70s Girl Group the Honey Cone, Sister of Darlene Love, Dies at Age 76
by Roger Friedman - September 12, 2020 5:57 pm

Edna Wright, the sister of pop star Darlene Love, and an R&B superstar in her own right, has died suddenly age 76.

Edna was the lead singer of the Honey Cone, a smash pop girl group of the early 70s. Their hits “Want Ads,” “Stick Up,” and “One Monkey Don’t Stop No Show” are classics, played over and over on oldies stations and classic R&B. I didn’t know Edna, but I do know Darlene, and I am so sorry for her loss. It’s out loss, too. Edna had pipes! Holland Dozer Holland signed the Honey Cone to their Hot Wax/HDH Records when they left Motown, sensing a Supremes for a new generation. For about four years, from 1971 to 75, the Honey Cone permeated pop radio.

Darlene writes: “I’m in complete shock and so heartbroken by the sudden loss of my beautiful baby sister Enda. Please keep me and my family in your prayers during this very sad time for us. 😢💔🙏”

Thank you, Edna, for some of the greatest pop music ever. Rest in peace.