Jim Fowler, from Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, dies at age 89
Ubiquitous
2019-05-09 22:58:32 UTC
OMAHA, Neb. — Jim Fowler, the longtime host of Mutual of Omaha's Wild
Kingdom, and who helped preserve and protect endangered species through
his educational and outreach work, has died at the age of 89.

Fowler, a professional zoologist, hosted Wild Kingdom starting in 1986.
Prior to that, he served as a co-host of the program with Marlin
Perkins, starting in 1963. Fowler made hundreds of appearances on
television, including KETV NewsWatch 7, and he would visit schools
whenever he visited Omaha.

The director of Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium praised Fowler's
service.

“Jim Fowler was an early ambassador of wildlife conservation along with
Marlin Perkins. He continued that wildlife stewardship late into his
career and throughout his life," said Dennis Pate. "Jim set the stage
for many others to follow in advancing wildlife conservation.”

Those who worked with Fowler at Mutual of Omaha said he was a great
ambassador for the company and for the natural world.

"We're obviously sad, but it's been fun to remember the legacy of Jim
and what he's meant to not only the company, but to us personally, and
to just look back on his life and just smile and celebrate it," said
Jennifer Whitney, who worked with Fowler.

In 2003, Fowler was honored with the Lindbergh Award for his 40 years
of dedication to wildlife preservation and education.

“Jim Fowler’s enthusiastic, all-encompassing love for endangered
wildlife has won him the affection of human and animal kind the world
over,” wrote Reeve Lindbergh in announcing the award.

Fowler was president of the Fowler Center for Wildlife Education, with
a mission of educating the public about wildlife so they may help
protect habitats and influence government policy.
Jim G.
2019-05-09 23:49:39 UTC
OMAHA, Neb. — Jim Fowler, the longtime host of Mutual of Omaha's Wild
Kingdom, and who helped preserve and protect endangered species through
his educational and outreach work, has died at the age of 89.
Fowler, a professional zoologist, hosted Wild Kingdom starting in 1986.
Prior to that, he served as a co-host of the program with Marlin
Perkins, starting in 1963.
"I'll stay here in this protective cage while Jim goes out and wrestles
those alligators."

R.I.P., Jim.
"I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'm workin' on a theory there might
be a conspiracy." -- Josh Hoberman, THE MAGICIANS
RH Draney
2019-05-10 06:17:41 UTC
Post by Jim G.
OMAHA, Neb. — Jim Fowler, the longtime host of Mutual of Omaha's Wild
Kingdom, and who helped preserve and protect endangered species through
his educational and outreach work, has died at the age of 89.
Fowler, a professional zoologist, hosted Wild Kingdom starting in 1986.
Prior to that, he served as a co-host of the program with Marlin
Perkins, starting in 1963.
"I'll stay here in this protective cage while Jim goes out and wrestles
those alligators."
Or as it appeared in "Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge
Lizards" (in the scene where you had to use the remote control to find a
TV program that would distract the pimp enough that you could sneak
upstairs without paying): "While Jim wrestles with the crazed female
rhinoceros in heat, I'll slip into my tent with this native girl and
pitcher of mai tais"....r
Jim G.
Ubiquitous
2019-05-10 15:54:17 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Ubiquitous
OMAHA, Neb. — Jim Fowler, the longtime host of Mutual of Omaha's Wild
Kingdom, and who helped preserve and protect endangered species through
his educational and outreach work, has died at the age of 89.
Fowler, a professional zoologist, hosted Wild Kingdom starting in 1986.
Prior to that, he served as a co-host of the program with Marlin
Perkins, starting in 1963.
"I'll stay here in this protective cage while Jim goes out and wrestles
those alligators."
R.I.P., Jim.
Now that you mention it, I thought Jim Fowler was the guy who made the
underling wrestle the alligators. All this time, I thought he was a flunky.
--
Democrats (2016): We must believe the results of the Mueller investigation!
Democrats (2019): We don't believe the results of the Mueller investigation!
Louis Epstein
2019-05-11 03:33:38 UTC
Post by Jim G.
OMAHA, Neb. ? Jim Fowler, the longtime host of Mutual of Omaha's Wild
Kingdom, and who helped preserve and protect endangered species through
his educational and outreach work, has died at the age of 89.
Fowler, a professional zoologist, hosted Wild Kingdom starting in 1986.
Prior to that, he served as a co-host of the program with Marlin
Perkins, starting in 1963.
"I'll stay here in this protective cage while Jim goes out and wrestles
those alligators."
R.I.P., Jim.
Hazardous duty or not,Fowler wound up living longer than Perkins(1905-86)
did.

But I'll bet Perkins had better insurance....r
A Friend
2019-05-11 11:16:52 UTC
Post by RH Draney
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by Jim G.
OMAHA, Neb. ? Jim Fowler, the longtime host of Mutual of Omaha's Wild
Kingdom, and who helped preserve and protect endangered species through
his educational and outreach work, has died at the age of 89.
Fowler, a professional zoologist, hosted Wild Kingdom starting in 1986.
Prior to that, he served as a co-host of the program with Marlin
Perkins, starting in 1963.
"I'll stay here in this protective cage while Jim goes out and wrestles
those alligators."
R.I.P., Jim.
Hazardous duty or not,Fowler wound up living longer than Perkins(1905-86)
did.
But I'll bet Perkins had better insurance....r
The dying Perkins, looking terrible, was featured in a series of Mutual
of Omaha print ads for end-of-life insurance. The ads said he liked
it.
Jim G.
2019-05-11 18:00:02 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by Jim G.
OMAHA, Neb. ? Jim Fowler, the longtime host of Mutual of Omaha's Wild
Kingdom, and who helped preserve and protect endangered species through
his educational and outreach work, has died at the age of 89.
Fowler, a professional zoologist, hosted Wild Kingdom starting in 1986.
Prior to that, he served as a co-host of the program with Marlin
Perkins, starting in 1963.
"I'll stay here in this protective cage while Jim goes out and wrestles
those alligators."
R.I.P., Jim.
Hazardous duty or not,Fowler wound up living longer than Perkins(1905-86)
did.
All of those Mai Tais did him in.