Connie Mason, 89, in March (historical romance novelist)
Lenona
2020-10-08 02:08:04 UTC
Born in Niles, Michigan, she lived in Tarpon Springs, Florida.

https://www.echovita.com/us/obituaries/fl/tarpon-springs/connie-jeanne-mason-10597679
(short death notice - it doesn't mention her career)

Some of her books were bestsellers - I'm not sure which ones.

While her books are, of course, trashy, as cheap romance novels always are, historical or not, at least a few of them are pretty memorable. (Example: I had never taken an interest in American Western fiction, as a rule, but she actually managed to change that with one of her few Western romances.) I'd say that's because her heroes are often practically feral, both in and out of bed, but they're also as loving and caring as a reader could want.

Not to mention that she was actually capable of writing a story (even when she did it crudely) that made you want to read ALL of it, not just the hot scenes. She actually worked on historical details; she wasn't afraid to be anti-sentimental by including, say, brothels as a matter-of-fact part of life; and like any successful historical romance writer, she wove in social anachronisms cleverly and humorously in a way that grabs the reader - even if the dialogue was often ludicrous.

From Contemporary Authors:

"Writing is essential to my well-being...I love history, and writing about times long past fulfills me. I choose a variety of time periods for my books, from the Old West to medieval times, to the Viking era. I've written stories set in Morocco, England, Wales, Norway, Algeria, and the United States. Changing settings often keeps my ideas fresh. I've been blessed with a loving husband and children who are proud of my accomplishments and encourage my work."

AWARDS:
"Romantic Times storyteller of the year 1992, and Career Achievement Award, western category, 1994."

HISTORICAL ROMANCE NOVELS

Tender Fury, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1984.
Caress and Conquer, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1985.
For Honor's Sake, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1985.
Promised Splendor, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1986.
My Lady Vixen, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1986.
Desert Ecstasy, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1987.
Wild Is My Heart, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1987.
Bold Land, Bold Love, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1988.
Tempt the Devil, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1988.
Beyond the Horizon, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1989.
Love Me with Fury, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1989.
Wild Love, Wild Land, Avon (New York, NY), 1989.
Promise Me Forever, Avon (New York, NY), 1990.
Brave Land, Brave Love, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1990.
Surrender to the Fury, Avon (New York, NY), 1990.
The Greatest Gift of All, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1990.
Ice and Rapture, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1991.
A Promise of Thunder, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1991.
Lord of the Night, Avon (New York, NY), 1991.
Treasures of the Heart, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1992.
Christmas Star (novella) Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1992.
Tears Like Rain, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1993.
Wind Rider, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1993.
A Child Is Born (novella) Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1993.
Sierra, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1994.
A Christmas Miracle, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1994.
The Lion's Bride, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1994.
Pure Temptation, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1996.
A Love to Cherish, Avon (New York, NY), 1996.
Flame, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1997.
Shadow Walker, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1997.
To Love a Stranger, Avon (New York, NY), 1997.
Sheik, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1997.
Viking!, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1998.
To Tame a Renegade, Avon (New York, NY), 1998.
Pirate, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1998.
To Tempt a Rogue, Avon (New York, NY), 1999.
The Black Knight, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1999.
Gunslinger, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1999.
The Outlaws: Rafe, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 2000.
A Taste of Sin, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 2000.
The Outlaws: Jess, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 2000.
A Breath of Scandal, Avon (New York, NY), 2001.
The Outlaws: Sam, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 2001.
The Dragon Lord, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 2001.
A Touch So Wicked, Avon (New York, NY), 2002.
Taken by You, Love Spell, 2002.
Lionheart, 2002;
Seduced by a Rogue, 2003;
Laird of Stonehaven, 2003;
The Last Rogue, 2004;
Pirate Prince, 2004;
Gypsy Lover, 2005;
A Knights Honor, 2005;
A Taste of Paradise, 2006;
The Price of Pleasure, 2007;
Highland Warrior, 2007;
Viking Warrior, 2008.

SHORT STORIES:
(with M. Baker, N. Hess and E. Chadwick) A Wilderness Christmas, 1993;
(with T. Devine, M. Caudill and M. Campbell) Swept Away, 1998;
(with L. Greenwood, B. Hutchinson and T. Scott) Their First Noel, 1998;
(with L. Greenwood, N. McFather and S. Tanner) An Old-Fashioned Southern Christmas, 1999;
(with N. Hess, R.L. Hatcher and M. Baker) A Frontier Christmas, 1999.

OTHERS:
To Tame a Renegade, 1998;
Sins of the Highlander, 2010;
Lord of Devil Isle, 2010;
(with M. Marlowe) Lord of Fire and Ice, 2012;
Waking Up with a Rake, 2013;
One Night with a Rake, 2013;
Between a Rake and a Hard Place, 2014.

Lenona.
Lenona
2020-10-08 02:25:15 UTC
Not to be confused with the 83-year-old actress from "Blood Feast" who was also a 1963 Playmate of the Month.

https://www.conniemason.com

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/m/connie-mason/
(Book covers)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7273.Connie_Mason
(reader reviews)

Excerpt: "CBS news show 48 Hours, a television production that devoted an entire program to the romance novel industry. Connie was also featured in an article published by National Inquirer."

https://www.romance.io/authors/545539d88c7d2383163d93a0/connie-mason
(some synopses)
RH Draney
2020-10-08 06:43:19 UTC
I was just about to check on that....r
Terry del Fuego
2020-10-08 13:23:47 UTC
Post by Lenona
Not to be confused with the 83-year-old actress from "Blood Feast" who was also a 1963 Playmate of the Month.
The fact that I *did* go there first tells you everything you need to
know about my lack of culture.
Lenona
2020-10-08 02:36:22 UTC

"In 1995 Connie was featured on a segment of the CBS news show 48 Hours, a television production that devoted an entire program to the romance novel industry. Connie was also featured in an article published by National Inquirer."
Lenona
2020-10-08 19:50:50 UTC
And, given that some of her books WERE bestsellers, I'm surprised she doesn't seem to be in Wikipedia. (Aside from her name, I checked in the March section of "Deaths in 2020" as well, and her name wasn't even listed in red.)
Louis Epstein
2020-10-08 21:21:54 UTC
Post by Lenona
And, given that some of her books WERE bestsellers, I'm surprised she doesn't
seem to be in Wikipedia. (Aside from her name, I checked in the March section
of "Deaths in 2020" as well, and her name wasn't even listed in red.)
They delete redlinks after a month...you'd have to check the history of the
"Deaths in 2020" article to see if she was put on the list at death and
then removed.

Lenona
2020-10-09 03:05:06 UTC
How DO you find the history of any Wikipedia article? They don't seem to make it easy.
Louis Epstein
2020-10-11 20:49:42 UTC
Post by Lenona
How DO you find the history of any Wikipedia article? They don't seem to make it easy.
The link to the history is generally very close to the link to edit
(or to "view source" if the article is protected).

Lenona
2020-10-11 22:16:36 UTC
The link to edit (on the right) looks like a pencil. The only thing next to it is the star, by which you "keep track of this page and all changes to it." But, you have to log in or sign up - and it doesn't mention any access to the past changes.

On the left, it only gives you the option to choose another language.

Maybe this is because I'm using an iPad?