St. Louis rapper Huey killed in shooting in Missouri
Add Reply
Big Mongo
2020-06-26 18:59:56 UTC
https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/st-louis-rapper-huey-killed-shooting-missouri-71476854

St. Louis rapper Huey killed in shooting in Missouri

KINLOCH, Mo. -- A St. Louis rapper who went by the stage name Huey was killed in a shooting that also wounded another man, authorities say.

St. Louis County police said in a news release that the shooting happened just before 11 p.m. Thursday in Kinloch.

Police identified the man who was killed as 32-year-old Lawrence Franks Jr., known by fans as Huey. The Kinloch native was best known in the rap community for his 2006 debut single, “Pop, Lock & Drop It. It eventually reached the No. 6 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The music video has more than 50 million hits on YouTube.

A 21-year-old man who was wounded in the shooting remained hospitalized Friday with non-life threatening injuries.

Police said in a news release that detectives believe as many as 10 other people where there when the shooting happened.

Police released no details about how the shooting unfolded or a possible motive. They also have not said whether they have any suspects.
Bryan Styble
2020-06-26 20:02:59 UTC
Well, I guess I'm not ALWAYS happy to see hometown St. Louis make national news. And this means the world will never get to hear a glorious Huey/Pop Smoke duet. D'oh!--forgot HE got popped and smoked, too.

I remind y'all of what may be Bill Maher's--or at least his writers'--best joke, regarding rapper gunplay: "It's really gratifying to see some celebrities actually USE the products they endorse."

Meanwhile, anyone ever hear of Clapton putting out a hit on Jimmy Page, or Mick Fleetwood trying to take out Ringo with a drive-by?

Should maybe that quirky Literature Nobel guy should emulate all those sorry-for-my-white-privilege showbiz folk and just get on his knees and formally apologize for inventing rap, the tuneless* genre many music critics have argued began with "Subterranean Homesick Blues"**?

* And nowadays, culturally-corrosive as well, alas. Not to mention murderous.
** Which, ironically enough, HAS a tune, albeit a rather subtle one. And dyn-o-mite existentialist lyrics, to boot!
RH Draney
2020-06-26 21:38:28 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
Should maybe that quirky Literature Nobel guy should emulate all those sorry-for-my-white-privilege showbiz folk and just get on his knees and formally apologize for inventing rap, the tuneless* genre many music critics have argued began with "Subterranean Homesick Blues"**?
That'll never sell...Phil Harris was doing rap a decade before Zimmerman
was born....r
Bryan Styble
2020-07-02 20:38:26 UTC
Bryan Styble naively argued:

Should maybe that quirky Literature Nobel guy emulate all those sorry-for-my-white-privilege showbiz folk and just get on his knees and formally apologize for inventing rap, the tuneless genre many music critics have argued began with "Subterranean Homesick Blues"?

To which RH Draney retorted:

That'll never sell...Phil Harris was doing rap a decade before Zimmerman was born.
======================================

Well, your calendrical CALCULUS is a bit off*, but your CHRONOLOGY is right on the mark, RH; thanks a ton for setting me straight***! (I previously only knew Harris in relation to his radio work with Jack Benny, and am delighted you steered me in this other important cultural direction.)

That is, after listening to Harris's wonderful 1947 hit recording of "That's What I Like About The South", any honest Dylanologist would have to admit that The Rock Rasputin likely had that remarkable record floating through his, uh, er, "multitudes" mind whilst he was penning "Subterranean Homesick Blues".

Heck, about the only edge Dr. Robert's minor (yet still seismic!) 1965 hit has over Harris's record is that Harris didn't write the word-wrap rhymes he was so wonderfully rapid-firing, as the song was ALSO a minor 1942 hit for Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys--though that record's musical arrangement was one that was decidedly SUNG, not proto-rapped.

* The future Minnesota Minstrel came into the world in a Duluth maternity ward--which this diligent Dylanologist has visited, of course**--just hours after The Bismarck sank The Hood into the Denmark Strait, i.e., Saturday night, May 24, 1941.
** After all, years earlier, I was honored to be granted two surprisingly friendly--one of which quite lengthy, to boot!--telephone interviews with his mother, who was also once in that ward.
*** Though surely those Styble-is-gay rumors shall continue to circulate.

That Derek
2020-06-26 21:19:01 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
that quirky Literature Nobel guy
Has his "The Mighty Quinn," which celebrates "Quinn, the Eskimo" caught up with him yet?

The answer, my friends, is blowin' in the wind ....