Lani Guinier, 71
Add Reply
J.D. Baldwin
2022-01-07 23:56:31 UTC
Controversial legal scholar dead, reported by multiple sources.
2022-01-08 00:50:21 UTC
I loved her frizzed-out pyramid of Roseanne Rosanadanna hair.
radioacti...@gmail.com
2022-01-08 01:08:47 UTC
I'll second that (snarky) emotion, Derek!

2022-01-08 03:20:58 UTC
No snarkiness intended. Nor was I speaking facetiously [<< all six vowels alphabetically!] I just favour pretty ladies with nerdy hairstyles. … Throw in some nerdy Tina Fey eyewear and ,,, va-va-va-VOOM!
Adam H. Kerman
2022-01-08 17:42:02 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Controversial legal scholar dead, reported by multiple sources.
I've read some of her stuff. She wasn't especially controversial.
Certain people in the Republican party simply tried to Bork her, and
they succeeded. She opposed quotas; "quota queen" was just an outrageous
charge that sounded good rhetorically without basis in reality.

She wasn't in favor of single-member districts and that was portrayed as
black voters had to be gerrymanded into black-majority single member
districts.

What she actually favored was minority voting rights, no matter how
"minority" is defined, like a multi-member district with cummulative
voting. My state had that once, a reform from the late 19th century, but
they got rid of it before I was old enough to vote.

People lied about what she'd written, then Clinton withdrew the nomination.