Ethel Stratton, Widow of baseball player Monty Stratton (James Stewart played him in a movie) dead at 90
d***@comcast.net
2006-08-25 06:44:54 UTC
http://www.heraldbanner.com/local/local_story_234015143.html

Ethel Stratton dead at 90

By DAVID CLAYBOURN
Herald-Banner Staff

Ethel Ester Stratton, who helped her late husband Monty Stratton with
his courageous comeback in baseball from a hunting accident in 1938,
died at the age of 90 on Monday in Arlington.

Monty Stratton was the winningest right-handed pitcher in the Major
Leagues when the hunting accident ended his career with the Chicago
White Sox. Stratton was hunting rabbits on his mother's farm just
outside Greenville when his holstered revolver accidentally discharged,
creasing his right thigh with a bullet. The bullet severed an artery
and caused Dallas doctors to amputate Stratton's right leg.

With Ethel's help, Stratton made a successful minor league comeback
in 1946, winning 18 games and losing only seven while pitching with a
wooden leg for Sherman in the East Texas League.

His comeback earned Stratton "The Most Courageous Athlete Award" in
1946 and prompted the making the MGM film "The Stratton Story,"
starring June Allyson as Ethel and Jimmy Stewart as Monty. The film won
the Photoplay Gold Medal for the best picture of 1949 and the Box
Office Award.

Mrs. Stratton said she always got a "funny feeling" all over when
she watched the film again on television.

"It makes me feel how fortunate I was to have been around Monty,"
she said for a 1996 story in the Herald-Banner.

The Strattons, who lived for many years on a 93-acre farm in the Ardis
Heights community, were members of Wesley Methodist Church and were
also active in the Greenville community. Monty Stratton helped start
the Greenville Little League baseball program and was recognized for
his efforts by the naming of Monty Stratton Field near Greenville High
School.

Ethel Stratton worked at Tannenbaums dress shop in downtown Greenville
and volunteered much of her time as a "pink lady" for Presbyterian
Hospital in Greenville.

"I think any volunteer work is rewarding, especially when you're
not expecting anything in return," she said in 1996.

Monty Stratton died at the age of 70 on Sept. 28, 1982.

Mrs. Stratton, who was born on Jan. 6, 1916, died at the home of her
granddaughter Denise Davis, who'd cared for Mrs. Stratton during her
lengthy illness.

Graveside services at Memoryland are set for 10 a.m. Wednesday.
Visitation is from 6 to 8 p.m. today at Lynch Funeral Home.
Bill Schenley
2006-08-25 08:12:02 UTC
Post by d***@comcast.net
Ethel Ester Stratton, who helped her late husband
Monty Stratton with his courageous comeback in
baseball from a hunting accident in 1938, died at the
age of 90 on Monday in Arlington.
Monty Stratton was the winningest right-handed
pitcher in the Major Leagues when the hunting
accident ended his career with the Chicago White
Sox.
Huh?

The "winningest right-handed pitcher in the Major Leagues," in 1938, was
Bill Lee of the Chicago Cubs (22). Stratton only won 15 games in '38 and
wasn't even the "winningest right-handed pitcher" in the American League ,
that was Red Ruffing of the New York Yankees (21).

Stratton's career lasted from 1934 through 1938 ... and at the time of his
accident in 1938 ... he wasn't even the "winnigest right-handed pitcher" on
the Chicago White Sox. Between 1934 and 1938, Ted Lyons had won at least
twenty more games than Stratton.

In his lifetime, Stratton only won 36 games.
Brad Ferguson
2006-08-25 12:40:51 UTC
Post by Bill Schenley
Post by d***@comcast.net
[...]
But he was a winner in the Big Game -- life!

(This has been a Bill Stern Moment.)
James Neibaur
2006-08-25 12:51:37 UTC
Brad Ferguson 8/25/06 7:40 AM
Post by Brad Ferguson
Post by Bill Schenley
Post by d***@comcast.net
[...]
I didn't realize Ethel Stratton was only 22 when Bill Stratton was so
seriously injured, or that she had still been around.

JN
1***@gmail.com
Can't assholes like you leave things alone? So what? He could play baseball better than your sorry ass ever could.
1***@gmail.com
My response was to Bill Schenley
m***@att.net
2018-03-31 13:20:49 UTC
And it was a good response too! You're exactly right. Just leave it alone. If we wanted all the statistics we could go to the 1938 Sporting News. The movie is great & they couldn't have picked a better man/actor to play Monty Stratton, Jimmy Stewart! & Ethel played by June Allyson was a great pick too. Jimmy & June made a fantastic couple. You actually believed they were married in the way they acted. Take care. & Happy Easter & Happy Opening week of MLB!
MJ Emigh
2016-09-27 21:12:43 UTC
Huh?
Oh, come on. We baseball nuts know stuff like this, but embellishments for the General Public are good for everybody. We need accuracy for world leaders and rarely get it; why worry about pop culture characters?

Oh, and Bill.....don't even try to tell me that Babe didn't call his shot in that Cubs game. I've seen the painting that proves it!
Rob Cibik
2016-09-28 08:45:53 UTC
Post by MJ Emigh
Huh?
Oh, come on. We baseball nuts know stuff like this, but embellishments for the General Public are good for everybody. We need accuracy for world leaders and rarely get it; why worry about pop culture characters?
Oh, and Bill.....don't even try to tell me that Babe didn't call his shot in that Cubs game. I've seen the painting that proves it!
Bill left a.o. on Usenet several years ago. I can't remember the last
time he posted here. He can be found on Face Book.
MJ Emigh
Heh-heh....got me again. I didn't notice that the article is a decade old. I guess somebody is catching up on his reading this week.
BeAStooge
2006-08-25 13:16:57 UTC
fyi -

THE STRATTON STORY (1949), just last week, was released on DVD in
Warner's "James Stewart: The Signature Collection" box set.