Jerry Miller [age?], The Untouchables vocalist
Add Reply
bryan_styble
2024-10-06 21:16:21 UTC
Don't know a LOT about "American ska" pioneers The Untouchables, but I
know they came up with one of my all-time fave songs by anyone anywhere,
"What's Gone Wrong".

Had never heard the Los Angeles-based group until a somewhat different
studio take of "What's Gone Wrong" came up as background music in one of
those surfing documentaries the late Bruce Brown directed in the '60s
and '70s, perhaps the first one, "Endless Summer".

There are many remarkable things about this song, but what makes it a
special musical moment is its impassioned BRIDGE, which takes the
infectious beat in an entirely DIFFERENT direction for a minute or so.
The bridge also samples lyrics from some obscure [1950s?] hit by
somebody or other*: "Now take a message to Maria/Address it to my
wife/Tell her I won't be coming home/I got to start a new life..."

As it happens, the version used for the soundtrack of that surferlogue
is a decidedly SUPERIOR one to the studio take linked below, but this
one is close to its immaculate excellence. Still, I've not heard the
particular take used for the movie since the last time I saw the film
(and have long ago lost my audio-casette copy which I'd listened to
several dozens of times, as it's THAT terrific)...and MEANWHILE, this
lip-synched alternate-take version in the MTV "classic" vid linked below
for some bizarre reason TOTALLY DELETES the song's bridge!

While the video is absent that all-important bridge, it's nonetheless
simply a beautiful piece of CINEMATIC work. Check out the handsome lead
singer therein--the late Miller presumably?--and his wonderlly-trimmed
flattop 'fro haircut, a nifty and natty look which puts to shame the
typical appearances of all those slovenly hip-hop rap clowns, guys who
nowadays with their mostly-tuneless** material are crowding out from the
record charts true melodic gems like "What's Gone Wrong".

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
-----------------------
* Anyone know what that original, sampled song was? If so, kindly
enlighten us all.
** Yet chock-full of misogynistic braggadoccio and angry, vulgar rhymes.
=================
VIDEO with killer bridge inexplicable deleted:

---------
STUDIO recording WITH the vital bridge, though overall not quite a fine
a rendition as the very-similar take heard in the surfer film:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=aaplw&ei=utf-8&p=song+by+The+Untouchables+%22What%27s+Going+Wrong%22#id=6&vid=135db608506e45056482396560f4be61&action=click
bryan_styble
2024-10-07 03:12:36 UTC
The Wiki entry for The Untouchables features a 2024 photo of the late
Miller, onstage at The Whiskey A-Go.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Untouchables_(Los_Angeles_band)