Matthew Hubbard in the news
Add Reply
J.D. Baldwin
2020-06-22 21:44:20 UTC
I wasn't going to mention this here, but once it got a (relatively)
lengthy article in the NYT, it seemed the story has spread widely
enough that letting the a.o old-timers in on it wouldn't matter at
all. And I have no commentary on the story except that I am certain
that Hubbard's apology is sincere and I wouldn't wish the Kancel
Kulture Karen mob on practically anyone.

Anyway, yes this is the same guy who once hung out in a.o:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/21/us/phuc-bui-diem-nguyen-laney-college.html
2020-06-22 22:46:16 UTC
There is nothing “racist” here. Is he expected to go around class calling her FUCK which is how her first name is pronounced?

Also, any student in college who doesn’t know what “anglicize” means should be expelled.
Travoltron
2020-06-23 00:39:35 UTC
FUCK BOY at that.
d***@gmail.com
2020-06-23 15:52:44 UTC
Travoltron

“FUCK BOY at that.”

You have the greatest sense of humor.
👍🏻

I like a good chuckle, T.
Terry del Fuego
2020-06-23 13:02:35 UTC
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 15:46:16 -0700 (PDT), Terry "Pig-Fucker"
Post by c***@aol.com
FUCK which is how her first name is pronounced?
It took me about 20 seconds to find out that, to no one's great
surprise, you're wrong. Again.
Travoltron
2020-06-24 19:20:43 UTC
To be fair, there's no possible way a white person could pronounce her name.

Just try to comprehend all of this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_phonology

I studied Asian languages in college. Japanese is fairly easy to
pronounce and to a lesser extent so is Korean. I took Chinese 101 twice
and just could not wrap my head around its four tone system. Vietnamese
is similar to Chinese in that way and is a nightmare.
Terry del Fuego
2020-06-25 12:56:29 UTC
On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 12:20:43 -0700, Travoltron
Post by Travoltron
To be fair, there's no possible way a white person could pronounce her name.
That final consonant is...interesting. But the vowel in the middle is
pretty straightforward and the name clearly does *not* rhyme with
"duck".

It strikes me as odd that someone could have been a professor in
Oakland for 30 years and apparently never have encountered that name
before. It's pretty common, at least around here.
Post by Travoltron
I studied Asian languages in college. Japanese is fairly easy to
pronounce and to a lesser extent so is Korean. I took Chinese 101 twice
and just could not wrap my head around its four tone system. Vietnamese
is similar to Chinese in that way and is a nightmare.
I had a conversation a few years back with someone who spent an
extended amount of time in Vietnam. He really, really, really wanted
to learn the language but gave up after (if memory serves) six months
because it was just too difficult. And he claimed he stuck with it
longer than most do.