Milton Glaser, art director/designer
D.D.Degg
2020-06-27 04:02:59 UTC
Milton Glaser, Co-Founder of New York Magazine and Creator of ‘I❤NY,’ Dies at 91
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/06/milton-glaser-new-york-and-iny-designer-dies-at-91.html
Bryan Styble
2020-06-27 11:06:22 UTC
Like Shakespeare* and Vice President Levi Morton** before him, Milton Glaser died on his birthday.

But not before creating a certain iconic psychedelic poster which Columbia Records inserted into a certain 1967 iconic best-of album replete with iconic lyrics and catchy melodies surveying the iconic oeuvre of an indisputable icon, said insert smartly dispensing textually with the absolutely-unnecessary first name whilst oh-so-colorfully, centrally and prominently portraying that icon's iconic Jewish nose in silohetted profile.

Which of course is yet another reason I so idiosyncratically prefer to refer to that icon as the guy with the funny nose, the funnier hair and the funniest voice****.

* Supposedly. Of course, a couple thousand scholarly examinations of the so-called Authorship Question have thrust that, and so much more detail, into endless dispute.
** Quick--whom did he serve under? Jeeze, you people! Doesn't EVERYONE immediately know the answer OF COURSE is Harrison the younger?!?***
*** My keyboard frustratingly lacks the interrobang.
**** The latest incarnation***** of said voice****** reminding this partisan (after but a single entire listening on Thursday) of Dickens, Paris and London: He is in the best of voices*******;******** he is in the worst of voices.
***** Sans-ampersandingly entitled "Rough and Rowdy Ways", released just this week and, at least for the next few minutes this Saturday morn, still in toto available gratis on YouTube.
****** Said voiceS, actually--and indeed a couple of DOZEN distinct ones ever since 1957...and I'm guessing even more prior to then, but that's the earliest tape I have heard (YET, I sure hope).
******* Well, make that the best of his various 21st Century voices; many of his many various vocal stylizings recorded back in the 20th still reign resonantly supreme. And, I suspect, STILL shall well into the 22nd and even beyond. (After all, we still repeatedly marvel at "Hamlet" four centuries later. And no one knows if Shakespeare--whatever his true identity--could even sing.)
******** And yes, without going to the trouble of checking, I'm almost certain Dickens employed a comma at that juncture of his celebrated opening sentence. But: (1) I daresay contend I am clearly a superior punctuator (if also clearly an inferior storyteller); and (2) like George Will (as he expertly explicated in a memorable essay circa 1982), I simply LOVE the under-utilized, oft mis-used and sadly under-appreciated semicolon*********.
********* Though perhaps not quite as dearly as I adore the asterisk.
Bryan Styble
2020-06-27 13:38:32 UTC
Sorry--I guess silhouetted is spelled with a U.

(Maybe I should have mounted a FIFTH serious effort to learn French, as my first four attempts--initially during a two-month 6th grade course in 1966, a series which subsequently found me ALSO floundering in Russian, Spanish and German, followed by three additional weeks-long and earnest-yet-futile attempts on my own in 1969, 1986 and 1992--never did the trick.)

Of course, the REAL underlying factor why foreign languages are such a gargantuan intellectual blind-spot for me, is that now in even by my mid-60s, I'm STILL laboring on getting English down to the point where I can craft prose with the elegance and insight of, say, Maureen Down, George Will or Jerry Adler.

Indeed, I'd feel hopeless--and maybe even suicidally depressed--about the deficiencies so ridiculously rife in my spelling, grammar, pronunciation and semantics...IF the typical internet comment poster didn't in such sharp contrast cluelessly and shamelessly display a "command" of the gloriously rich English language that I, in my still only quasi-literate fashion, managed to trudge beyond probably by [public school] 3rd grade.

STYBLE/Florida
Bryan Styble
2020-06-27 13:46:54 UTC
I don't know who Maureen Down is; she may very well be an even more-talented wordsmith than is Maureen Dowd, though if so, certainly not as widely-published.

Oh, and that 6th grade French sojourn--see, I learned SOMETHIN' therein!--was a "survey course" as I initially typed, but the always-annoying AutoIncorrect thwarted me on that one.

STYBLE/Florida
l***@yahoo.com
2020-06-27 23:12:25 UTC
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/rec.arts.books.childrens/Milton$20glaser/rec.arts.books.childrens/jBaJ2w_pZ5w
(birthday post from last year - it includes his TED talk, interviews, book reviews, videos and booklist)
l***@yahoo.com
2020-06-30 02:21:17 UTC
Well, that url didn't seem to work, so...

Most of what I posted last year:

Two birthday tributes:

"Milton Glaser is spending his 90th birthday doing what he loves most: working"

https://qz.com/work/1651043/how-designer-milton-glaser-plans-to-spend-his-90th-birthday/

Excerpt:

...Almost without fail, Glaser reports to his Manhattan studio five days a week, albeit with a bit more caution these days about climbing the four-story walk-up on 32nd Street. He says he isn’t particularly looking forward to any grand birthday celebrations at the office today, partly because they would cut into time he can spend being productive. Spending 65 years in the business and garnering countless accolades, including the National Medal of the Arts from former US president Barack Obama, hasn’t inspired him to think of withdrawing from professional life.

“The idea of retirement is disgusting to me,” he says. “I would drive my wife nuts for one thing.”

Retirement, Glaser argues, is an outdated construct from the industrial age. “For many people, work was unpleasant labor. If you work in a factory and all you did was move widgets, you’d eventually get tired. Retirement fit in with the nature of industrial work, but that’s not true of artists and painters.” He cites Claude Monet and Pablo Picasso—artists he admires—as examples of this...

https://www.printmag.com/daily-heller/happy-90th-milton-glaser/
(shorter tribute, with the first cover of New York Magazine)

https://www.miltonglaser.com/
(his site)

https://www.miltonglaser.com/milton/#0
(longish bio)

https://www.miltonglaser.com/the-work/
(various designs of his)

https://www.ted.com/speakers/milton_glaser
(his 15-minute TED Talk)

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/31/nyregion/milton-glaser-still-hearts-new-york.html?_r=0
(long 2016 profile)

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=969&ei=2q0TXaT6Oaem_QaT_IiYCg&q=milton+glaser+interview&oq=milton+glaser+interview&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0.2221.3657..3880...0.0..1.258.1269.2j7j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i67j0i22i30.E7mU94seYH4
(interviews)

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=969&ei=j6wTXfPAIuLm_Qafmoj4Bw&q=milton+glaser++kirkus&oq=milton+glaser++kirkus&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1593.2822..3092...0.0..1.171.672.5j2......0....1..gws-wiz.......0j0i67j0i22i30j33i160.eTcLSjU1iEg
(two Kirkus reviews of books by Shirley Glaser)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/173811.Milton_Glaser
(reader reviews)

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=969&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=na0TXeLEG67H_QbM4bfgDg&q=milton+glaser+menotti+tresselt&oq=milton+glaser+menotti+tresselt&gs_l=img.3...11562.13284..13699...0.0..0.68.485.8......0....1..gws-wiz-img.kpXdcohpbuA
(some illustrations for his juvenile books)

https://www.google.com/search?q=milton+glaser&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi3o83n2IfjAhWwc98KHSLyDR0Q_AUIEigD&biw=1920&bih=969
(videos)

WRITINGS:

(With wife, Shirley Glaser; self-illustrated) If Apples Had Teeth, Knopf (New York, NY), 1960.
(With Jerome Snyder) The Underground Gourmet, Simon & Schuster (New York, NY), 1968, 3rd edition published as The All New Underground Gourmet, 1977.
Graphic Design, Overlook Press (Woodstock, NY), 1973.
(With Jerome Snyder) The Underground Gourmet Cookbook, Simon & Schuster (New York, NY), 1975.
(With Lally Weymouth) America in 1876, Random House (New York, NY), 1976.
(Self-illustrated) The Milton Glaser Posterbook, Harmony Books (New York, NY), 1977.
(With others) The Conversation, Harmony Books (New York, NY), 1983.
(With others) Folon & Glaser: Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes, Buenos Aires, 29 de Septiembre al 25 de Octubre de 1987, 1987.
(Designer) Work, Life, Tools: The Things We Use to Do the Things We Do (based on an exhibition created by Milton Glaser and the Steelcase Design Partnership), Monacelli Press (New York, NY), 1997.
Art Is Work: Graphic Design, Interiors, Objects, and Illustrations, Overlook Press (New York, NY), 2000.

ILLUSTRATOR

Alvin Tresselt, The Smallest Elephant in the World, Knopf (New York, NY), 1959.

Conrad Aiken, Cats and Bats and Things with Wings (poems), Atheneum (New York, NY), 1965.
Mikhail Sholokhov, Fierce and Gentle Warriors, translated by Miriam Morton, Doubleday (Garden City, NY), 1967.

Gian Carlo Menotti, Help, Help, the Gobolinks, adapted by Leigh Dean, McGraw-Hill (New York, NY), 1970.
George Mendoza, Fish in the Sky, Doubleday (Garden City, NY), 1971.
(With Seymour Chwast and Barry Zaid) Ormonde DeKay, Jr., translator, Rimes de la Mere Ole, Little, Brown (Boston, MA), 1971.
Asimov's Illustrated Don Juan, Doubleday (Garden City, NY), 1972.

Idwal Jones, The Adventures of Chef Gallois, Yolla Bolly Press (Covelo, CA), 2000.
Shirley Glaser, The Alphazeds (for children), Hyperion (New York, NY), 2003.

2020-07-05 15:01:08 UTC
You can always tell who the tourists are in NYC. They're the only ones who actually wear I ❤ NY T-shirts.
Scott Brady
2020-07-05 15:31:53 UTC
You can always tell who the tourists are in NYC. They're the only ones who actually wear I ❤ NY T-shirts.
Unless that's all they're wearing.