Nawal el Saadawi, 89, Egyptian feminist writer
Lenona
2021-03-21 22:00:45 UTC
From Wikipedia:

Nawal El Saadawi (Arabic: نوال السعداوي‎, 27 October 1931 – 21 March 2021) was an Egyptian feminist writer, activist, physician, and psychiatrist. She wrote many books on the subject of women in Islam, paying particular attention to the practice of female genital mutilation in her society. She was described as "the Simone de Beauvoir of the Arab World", and as "Egypt's most radical woman". When called "a savage and dangerous woman", she responded "I am speaking the truth. And the truth is savage and dangerous".

She was founder and president of the Arab Women's Solidarity Association and co-founder of the Arab Association for Human Rights. She was awarded honorary degrees on three continents. In 2004, she won the North–South Prize from the Council of Europe. In 2005, she won the Inana International Prize in Belgium, and in 2012, the International Peace Bureau awarded her the 2012 Seán MacBride Peace Prize...
Lenona
2021-03-21 22:05:52 UTC
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/21/obituaries/nawal-el-saadawi-dead.html

"An author, physician and champion of equal rights, she was jailed by Anwar Sadat for her activism against the Egyptian government."

It's a long obit, by Alan Cowell. Here are the last paragraphs:

...Four years later, reviewing Dr. Saadawi’s novel “God Dies by the Nile,” the Indian-born American writer Bharati Mukherjee wrote that the author “bears down on social issues with directness and passion, transforming the systematic brutalization of peasants and of women into powerful allegory.”

She added, “This directness may put off American readers.”

Under President Mubarak, Sadat’s successor, Dr. Saadawi was placed under police guard, supposedly to protect her from Islamist threats. Her name was included on a so-called death list published in Saudi Arabia.

After fleeing to Duke University, where she taught from 1993 to 1996, Dr. Saadawi wrote two more volumes of autobiography. When she returned to Egypt she continued to face fundamentalist accusations of apostasy and heresy. She announced plans to run for president against Mr. Mubarak in 2004 but resolved instead to boycott the election when her followers were threatened.

Into her 80s she seemed to suggest that her struggle was far from over.

“Do you feel you are liberated?” she asked a writer for The Guardian, a woman, in an interview in 2015. When the writer nodded her head, Dr. Saadawi said, “Well, I feel I am not.”
Lenona
2021-03-21 22:13:43 UTC
https://egyptianstreets.com/2021/03/21/pioneering-egyptian-feminist-nawal-el-saadawi-dies-aged-89/
(this one's short)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-55048245
(this one's long and includes a video)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/21/nawal-el-saadawi-trailblazing-egyptian-writer-dies-aged-89

Excerpt:

...In 2007, she was condemned by Egypt’s highest Sunni Muslim authority, Al-Azhar, for her play God Resigns at the Summit Meeting – in which God is questioned by Jewish, Muslim and Christian prophets and finally quits.

Her views resulted in her facing several legal challenges, including allegations of apostasy from Islamists.

Despite challenges from authorities, the writer said in 2010 that she was motivated to keep going by the daily letters she received from people who say their lives have been changed by her writing. “A young man came to me in Cairo with his new bride. He said, I want to introduce my wife to you and thank you. Your books have made me a better man. Because of them I wanted to marry not a slave, but a free woman.”...