Robert Forster, 78, 1970s tough guy actor rediscoved by DLynch, QTarantino
2019-10-12 03:11:36 UTC
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/robert-forster-dead-resurgent-oscar-nominee-jackie-brown-was-78-1218184

MOVIES

Robert Forster, Resurgent Oscar Nominee From 'Jackie Brown,' Dies at 78

7:19 PM PDT 10/11/2019
by Chris Koseluk

The 'Medium Cool' actor also starred for David Lynch in 'Mulholland Drive' and 'Twin Peaks' after Tarantino resuscitated his career.

With his chiseled good looks, steely chin and earnest gaze, Forster exuded a raw truthfulness. He made his film debut opposite Marlon Brando and Elizabeth Taylor in John Huston's Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967), then sparkled as an ethically challenged cameraman in Haskell Wexler's ultra-realistic Medium Cool (1969).

Forster then took on no-nonsense, heroic title characters on television to build on his stardom, portraying a dogged 1930s detective on NBC's Banyon, which premiered in 1971, and a Native American police deputy in New Mexico on ABC's Nakia, which bowed in 1974. However, the shows lasted just 15 and 14 episodes, respectively, before being canceled.

Forster captained a spaceship in Disney's ambitious sci-fi thriller The Black Hole (1979), but it proved to be a box office disappointment. Other lowlights soon followed, including Alligator (1980), The Kinky Coaches and the Pom-Pom Pussycats (1981), Vigilante (1982), Hollywood Harry (1986) and Satan's Princess (1989).

By the early '90s, the actor was down to supporting roles in such low-budget efforts as Maniac Cop 3: Badge of Silence, Body Chemistry 3: Point of Seduction and Scanner Cop II and supplementing his income with speaking engagements.

"I went 21 months without a job. I had four kids, I took any job I could get," Forster told the Chicago Tribune in 2018, raising and then lowering his hand to indicate his fortunes. "My career went like this for five years and then like that for 27. Every time it reached a lower level I thought I could tolerate, it dropped some more, and then some more. Near the end I had no agent, no manager, no lawyer, no nothing. I was taking whatever fell through the cracks."

A fan of Forster since he was a kid, Tarantino had brought the actor in to audition for the part of aging gangster Joe Cabot in 1992's Reservoir Dogs, but he had his heart set on casting Lawrence Tierney. Tarantino never forgot Forster, however, and as he was crafting the screenplay for Jackie Brown (1997) — an adaptation of Elmore Leonard's 1992 novel Rum Punch — he wrote Max Cherry with him in mind.

"Years had gone by and I ran into him in a coffee shop. By then my career was really, really dead," Forster recalled in a 2018 interview with Fandor. "And we blah-blah'd for a few minutes, and then six months later he showed up at the same coffee shop with a script in his hands and handed it to me.

"When I read it I could hardly believe that he had me in mind for Max Cherry, except that nothing else made any sense. So when I asked him about it, he said, 'Yes, it's Max Cherry that I wrote for you.' That's when I said to him, 'I'm sure they're not going to let you hire me.' He said, 'I hire anybody I want.' And that's when I realized I was going to get another shot at a career."

After Jackie Brown, Forster was inundated with offers and worked in such films as Psycho (1998), Me, Myself and Irene (2000), Mulholland Drive (2001), Human Nature (2001), Like Mike (2002), Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (2003), Firewall (2006), Lucky Number Slevin (2006) and The Descendants (2011).

He also portrayed Gen. Edward Clegg in the action film Olympus Has Fallen (2013) and its 2016 sequel and gave a stirring performance in What They Had (2018) as a distraught husband trying to care for his wife (Blythe Danner) as she battles Alzheimer's.

In 2013, Forster was cast as the key Breaking Bad character The Disappearer in the AMC series' penultimate episode, with the show's team citing Max Cherry as an inspiration. Forster reprised the role in El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie, which opened in theaters and hit Netflix Friday.

Robert Forster, the stalwart leading man whose Oscar-nominated performance as a nefarious bail bondsman in Quentin Tarantino's Jackie Brown made for one of Hollywood's most heartwarming comeback stories, has died. He was 78.

Forster died on Friday at his Los Angeles home from brain cancer, his publicist told The Hollywood Reporter.
Michael OConnor
2019-10-12 16:33:21 UTC
Forster captained a spaceship in Disney's ambitious sci-fi thriller The Black Hole (1979), but it proved to be a box office disappointment.
And still one of the ten worst big budget films I have ever seen. I know Disney was trying to get some of the "Star Wars" money, but tried to make a movie that on the one hand appealed to children (i.e. to sell merchandise), with kooky robots that talked like Slim Pickens and Roddy McDowell, but on the other had an evil robot that shredded Anthony Perkins (off camera) with a rotating high-speed blade. Then they went for this weird 2001-esque ambiguous ending about heaven and hell that nobody really understood.

Along the way there was oodles of bad science, such as the giant glowing-hot asteroid thingy that was perfectly round and going right thru the middle of the ship and the people running across the catwalk right in front of it when the catwalk (not to mention the ship) should have been melted along with everybody on it. In the climax, Maximilian Schell was floating around in the open vacuum of space for quite some time until he locates the evil robot (who coincidentally was also named Maximilian) and Maximilian Schell climbed inside the robot. The robot was fortuitously designed in such a way to be able to house a human inside and despite it's not-so-large size could somehow sustain a person with air and water and (presumably) food and stuff. This led to the weird bit of trivia that at the end of "The Black Hole", Maximilian Schell was inside Maximilian's shell.

To say one good thing about "The Black Hole", John Barry produced an outstanding score for the movie.

"The Black Hole" was one of those movies that was so horrifically bad, it really must be seen. That being said, Robert Forster didn't do anything to help or hurt the movie; Maximilian Schell and Ernest Borgnine were engaged in a scenery-chewing contest the whole way thru the movie and the other actors just did their jobs and stayed out of it. Disney was trying to cash in on "Star Wars" and failed miserably.

With that out of the way, I always liked Robert Forster, and it's a shame he disappeared for the better part of 20 years before Tarantino resurrected his career. Whenever an actor like that goes away, I always get the feeling they must have retired from acting or went into Broadway or something.

Whether you like Tarantino's films or not, you have to like the fact that there's an A list director out there who is willing to give a actor who hasn't starred in a major Hollywood feature film in almost 20 years a plum supporting role in one of his films, and Tarantino usually has one or two of these "comeback roles" in just about all of his films, like Travolta in "Pulp Fiction", and Forster and Pam Grier in "Jackie Brown" and Lawrence Tierney in "Reservoir Dogs" to name a few. I just wish more directors would do this. There are a lot of really good actors out there who have been forgotten and just need a second chance.