possible death of Phil Schaap, cousin of late ABC Newser Dick Schaap
danny burstein
2021-09-08 03:55:42 UTC
Phil has been Mister A Number One JAZZ Historian
for the past half century.

Numerous Tweets in the past couple of days
saying he is ill, and a couple in the
past half hour that he's dead.

***@panix.com
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-09-08 04:15:34 UTC
Is this the same Schapp relative that was so central to that crazed Bobby Fischer press conference? (I seem to recall that being the late sportscaster's son, but I might be misremember that from circa 2007.)

2021-09-08 13:01:20 UTC
That was Jeremy Schaap, Dick's son.
danny burstein
2021-09-08 13:56:08 UTC
Post by Diner
Is this the same Schapp relative that was so central to that crazed Bobby Fischer press conference? (I seem to recall that being the late sportscaster's son, but I might be misremember that from circa 2007.)
That was Jeremy Schaap, Dick's son.
from WKCR radio (one of his homes):

It is with a heavy heart that WKCR mourns Phil Schaap, who passed away yesterday evening at the age of 70. For over 50 years, Phil has been an irreplaceable presence at the station. The mentorship that he has provided students as an educator has helped shape a new generation of jazz historians and appreciators, and his impact will be felt for decades to come.

Phil was unquestionably a giant in the jazz community. This past year he was recognized as a Jazz Master by the National Endowment of the Arts, and throughout his distinguished career has been awarded six Grammys and numerous other honors.

WKCR will continue airing rebroadcasts of Phil's programs during their usual times. Further details for an expanded tribute will be announced in the coming days on our website, wkcr.org
***@panix.com