"DEAD" Top 40 AM Radio Stations You Miss
JoJo Krako
2004-02-06 00:34:23 UTC
Many of us remember when AM radio actually played music. Growing up
in the midwest in the 60s and 70s I listened to these stations at night.
DXing was a little hobby of mine. Any other Top 40 powerhouses you
miss from your youth? I was not familiar with the west coast stations.
Most of these stations still exist, some in a talk radio or sports format
with different call letters.

WABC-770 New York City
WBZ-1030 Boston
CKLW-800 Detroit/Windsor (Any Detroit residents know what became
of CKLW ? The call letters now belong to an FM station)
WLS-890 Chicago (My favorite. Larry Lujack worked here)
WCFL-1000 Chicago ("Super CFL" Call letters stood for
"Chicago Federation of Labor", later became all-sports WMVP)
WTAM/WKYC-1100 Cleveland
WKBW-1520 Buffalo, NY
WOWO-1190 Fort Wayne, IN. (What is a 50,000 watt AM station
doing in Fort Wayne, Indiana ?)
CHUM-1150 Toronto
WLW-700 Cincinnati
KMOX-1100 St. Louis (not really top 40, but I liked listening
to Cardinal baseball games on it at night, before Cable TV).
WHAS-840 Louisville, Ky (Don't know if it was "WHAS" back then)
Rob Petrie
2004-02-06 01:21:14 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by JoJo Krako
[...]
KMOX-1120 St. Louis - still around, has Cardinals baseball games and
accessible in 40+ States (and Canada) at night.

KXOK-630 St. Louis - now a religious/talk station!

WQAM-560 Miami - now a sports station
WFUN-790 Miami - ?
Marcia Rovins
2004-02-06 06:36:59 UTC
Post by Rob Petrie
x-no-archive: yes
Post by JoJo Krako
Many of us remember when AM radio actually played music. Growing up
in the midwest in the 60s and 70s I listened to these stations at night.
DXing was a little hobby of mine. Any other Top 40 powerhouses you
miss from your youth? I was not familiar with the west coast stations.
Most of these stations still exist, some in a talk radio or sports format
with different call letters.
I grew up listening to the Goodguys on WMCA (570, I think) in New York.

Marcia
James Neibaur
2004-02-06 01:32:36 UTC
Post by JoJo Krako
WLS-890 Chicago (My favorite. Larry Lujack worked here)
WCFL-1000 Chicago ("Super CFL" Call letters stood for
"Chicago Federation of Labor", later became all-sports WMVP)
WOKY 920 Milwaukee
WRIT 1340 Milwaukee

JN
King Daevid MacKenzie
2004-02-06 04:37:53 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
Post by JoJo Krako
WLS-890 Chicago (My favorite. Larry Lujack worked here)
WCFL-1000 Chicago ("Super CFL" Call letters stood for
"Chicago Federation of Labor", later became all-sports WMVP)
...Lujack was much better working at WCFL from '72 to '76 -- after all,
he did the afternoon drives there while most of his WLS years were in
early morning; thus he was actually awake more of the time at 'CFL ;-) ...

...WIND 560 Chicago also did an interesting Top 40/oldies mix in the
mid-'70s...I don't think I ever heard another station play Debie
Reynolds' "Tammy" as a lead-in to "Lady" by Styx ;-) ...
Post by James Neibaur
WOKY 920 Milwaukee
WRIT 1340 Milwaukee
...WEMP 1250 and WZUU 1290 were Top 40s, too (and, IMO, usually better
than either WOKY or WRIT)...
--
King Daevid MacKenzie
How Radio is done. No brag, just fact.
"Fear and God do not inhabit the same space." -- Dick Gregory
ASUuserwriter
2004-02-06 05:27:40 UTC
I don't know the call letters or frequency, but there was an AM station I could
pick up in Clayton, Georgia (in the northeast corner of the state) that played
1930's - 1950's music...really good stuff. I haven't been up to Clayton in
three years so I don't know if it's still on the air or not.
Eliza

Eliza's Country Music News
http://asuuser18ga.tripod.com/
James Neibaur
2004-02-06 11:46:39 UTC
Post by King Daevid MacKenzie
Post by James Neibaur
WOKY 920 Milwaukee
WRIT 1340 Milwaukee
...WEMP 1250 and WZUU 1290 were Top 40s, too (and, IMO, usually better
than either WOKY or WRIT).
When would this be? I am talking pre-1970, and I only recall WOKY and WRIT,
with WOKY (the Mighty 92) being the biggie during that period.

JN
Rob Petrie
Wasn't he in "Star Wars" or its sequels?
dgh
Good point.
King Daevid MacKenzie
2004-02-07 03:13:06 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
WOKY 920 Milwaukee
WRIT 1340 Milwaukee
...WEMP 1250 and WZUU 1290 were Top 40s, too (and, IMO, usually better
than either WOKY or WRIT).
When would this be? I am talking pre-1970, and I only recall WOKY and WRIT,
with WOKY (the Mighty 92) being the biggie during that period.
...circa '69 -- and there was one more from the mid-'60s, WFOX 860 (Wink
Martindale worked there for a spell between Memphis and Hollywood)...
James Neibaur
2004-02-07 04:51:14 UTC
Post by King Daevid MacKenzie
...circa '69 -- and there was one more from the mid-'60s, WFOX 860 (Wink
Martindale worked there for a spell between Memphis and Hollywood)...
The only other popular station out of Milwaukee I remember from the 60s was
WNOV (forgot the dial number), which was essentially soul and r&b music. I
do remember WEMP as an oldies station during the seventies and eighties, but
don't recall it from the sixties.

But I guess remembering back 40 years can be tricky.

JN
The Kentucky Wizard
2004-02-06 01:59:40 UTC
Post by JoJo Krako
of CKLW ? The call letters now belong to an FM station)
WLS-890 Chicago (My favorite. Larry Lujack worked here)
WCFL-1000 Chicago ("Super CFL" Call letters stood for
"Chicago Federation of Labor", later became all-sports WMVP)
WTAM/WKYC-1100 Cleveland
WKBW-1520 Buffalo, NY
WOWO-1190 Fort Wayne, IN. (What is a 50,000 watt AM station
doing in Fort Wayne, Indiana ?)
CHUM-1150 Toronto
WLW-700 Cincinnati
KMOX-1100 St. Louis (not really top 40, but I liked listening
to Cardinal baseball games on it at night, before Cable TV).
WHAS-840 Louisville, Ky (Don't know if it was "WHAS" back
then)

WHAS is still, and has always been WHAS, and AFAIK, still is the
only radio station that occupies 840 on the dial all by itself,
and pumping out 10,000 watts and a clear channel, they still DX
all across the country. I think they still play music all night
long, it's only during the day that they pound the local
listener's ears with constant talk radio, with spurts of news
and weather periodically.

You know the old radio adage when it pertains to promotions and
contests:

1) "Tell 'em you're going to do it, Tell 'em you're going to do
it, Tell 'em you're going to do it."

2) "Do it."

3) "Tell 'em that you did it, Tell 'em that you did it, Tell 'em
that you did it."
--
© The Wiz ®
R H Draney
2004-02-06 02:17:26 UTC
Post by JoJo Krako
[...]
XEROK 80, El Paso (actually Juarez, Mexico), in the late 70s...last I'd heard
they had switched over to country, but even that was many years ago....

Also KSIL-1340, Silver City, New Mexico...during the 70s it was the only thing
we could get after KNFT signed off at sunset each night....r
a***@gmail.com
I used to DJ at KSIL The sound of Silver as the AM drive guy until Richard bought out to previous owners wife when Bob died. I went by the radio name of Bobby Reed. Took over the news for the station following Adolfo Miastes.
Anglo Saxon
2017-08-07 10:31:10 UTC
Post by JoJo Krako
Many of us remember when AM radio actually played music. Growing up
in the midwest in the 60s and 70s I listened to these stations at night.
DXing was a little hobby of mine. Any other Top 40 powerhouses you
miss from your youth? I was not familiar with the west coast stations.
KOL and KJR battled for #1 from '65 to '75, but the clear top dog was KJR
with Pat O'Day. This was in Seattle and was the background of our cultural
lives, no doubt about it. Great, fun, literate, imaginative and best of all,
Top 40. Our bedside wake-up, breakfast, go to school or work, all evening
and every hour of the weekend. Making out big-time to the glow of the radio
light in the car. :-)

Robert Feigel (aka Bob)
2004-02-06 02:58:06 UTC
Post by JoJo Krako
Many of us remember when AM radio actually played music. Growing up
in the midwest in the 60s and 70s I listened to these stations at night.
DXing was a little hobby of mine. Any other Top 40 powerhouses you
miss from your youth? I was not familiar with the west coast stations.
Most of these stations still exist, some in a talk radio or sports format
with different call letters.
Not Top-40, but AM: KFAC, the LA classical music station I used to
listen to in Santa Monica years ago. I understand it was acquired by a
company that changed its call sign and format. RIP old friend.

Top-40: WROZ in Evansville, Indiana.

Why? Because the station had corner 'picture windows' that overlooked
a major 'downtown' intersection and when I worked the midnight to dawn
grind lusty women would drive by in convertibles and try to attract my
attention by taking off their clothes and waving things at me, etc. It
worked ...

Also because I got to say things like:

"WROZ! The Tri-State's Rosy Red Radio!"

And: "WROZ, Rosy Red Radio! Smile! It's FUN to live in Evansville:
City of champions, in the valley of opportunity."

Having to say that taught me to keep a straight face in ridiculous
situations. Almost. ;-)b

"When weaving nets, all threads count." - Charlie Chan

********
The art & the artists of New Zealand's Tutukaka Coast: <http://www.earthsea.co.nz>
Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Mpoconnor7
2004-02-06 10:45:14 UTC
Post by Robert Feigel (aka Bob)
"WROZ! The Tri-State's Rosy Red Radio!"
City of champions, in the valley of opportunity."
Try that today and you'd probably get sued.

I remember a couple years ago when a number of radio stations (mostly
alternative) started going by feminine names (like Alice), one station started
going by Rosie 103, and promptly received a cease and desist order from the
lawyers of Rosie O'Donnell, who apparently suffers from such a case of humility
that she felt the need to trademark her first name. Somehow, it would damage
her image and market value to have a radio station with the same name as her.
What a maroon.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
Rob Petrie
2004-02-06 12:52:28 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Mpoconnor7
Post by Robert Feigel (aka Bob)
"WROZ! The Tri-State's Rosy Red Radio!"
City of champions, in the valley of opportunity."
Try that today and you'd probably get sued.
I remember a couple years ago when a number of radio stations (mostly
alternative) started going by feminine names (like Alice), one station started
going by Rosie 103, and promptly received a cease and desist order from the
lawyers of Rosie O'Donnell, who apparently suffers from such a case of humility
that she felt the need to trademark her first name. Somehow, it would damage
her image and market value to have a radio station with the same name as her.
What a maroon.
She isn't alone as a 'maroon'. It's the whole world.
The movie I'm about to mention could have easily been made with all this
craziness today included to make it that much funnier--but nobody then would
have believed today's nutty news: "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" (1963)
dgh
Good point.
Erik L.
2004-02-06 03:45:21 UTC
How about 93 KHJ in Los Angeles, and WGAR in Cleveland (original home of Imus
and Norm N. Nite. Also WXYZ in the Motor City. I still have all my
reel-to-reel jingle tapes from Pams, Jam and the other great jingle makers.
***@aol.com
"Howard Dean is God's gift to George W Bush." - Dick Morris.
"The MD after Howard Dean's name stands for Mondale Dukakis." - Mark Russell

Erik L.
King Daevid MacKenzie
2004-02-06 04:51:55 UTC
Post by Erik L.
How about 93 KHJ in Los Angeles
...which really slid downhill once Ron Jacobs and Drake-Chenault were
booted by RKO circa '71. KFI 640 and KTNQ 1020 really showed them up
later in the '70s...
Post by Erik L.
and WGAR in Cleveland (original home of Imus)
...no, just where Imus came to WNBC from. (When knuckleheaded NBC
management -- headed up by future AOL swindle kingpin Bob Pittman --
sent Imus into a two-year exile in '77, he went back to Cleveland, that
time to country WHK.) His actual beginnings were at a one-lung AM outfit
in Palmdale, California, KJOY Stockton (where he got canned for his 1969
Eldridge Cleaver Lookalike Contest) and KXOA Sacramento. It was KXOA
General Manager Jack Thayer who brought Imus with him to WGAR and WNBC...
MWB
2004-02-06 04:52:06 UTC
My AM station was WHOU 1340 in Houlton, Maine. It shut down at 10PM unless
the Red Sox were on the west coast losing. This station was so anal it
wouldn't play "My Ding-a-ling". Late at night I could get an station out of
Syracuse, the call letters long forgotten. It was 50/50 music static, but it
was better than WHOU. The station is still there playing the same format,
but it went FM.

Mark
Rob Petrie
2004-02-06 05:34:05 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by MWB
My AM station was WHOU 1340 in Houlton, Maine. It shut down at 10PM unless
the Red Sox were on the west coast losing. This station was so anal it
wouldn't play "My Ding-a-ling".
Maybe if WHOU was penis, it would have played it.
but it went FM.
dgh
but it went FM.
Baker, Jane Baker
2004-02-06 08:24:48 UTC
Post by JoJo Krako
Many of us remember when AM radio actually played music. Growing up
in the midwest in the 60s and 70s I listened to these stations at night.
DXing was a little hobby of mine. Any other Top 40 powerhouses you
miss from your youth? I was not familiar with the west coast stations.
Most of these stations still exist, some in a talk radio or sports format
with different call letters.
KMOX-1100 St. Louis (not really top 40, but I liked listening
to Cardinal baseball games on it at night, before Cable TV).
KMOX is on 1120 (pretty sure it always has been) and still carries St.
Louis Cardinal games. It's all talk/sports.
http://www.kmox.com/home/

KXOK in St. Louis used to play Top 40 back in the day. We'd walk to
the public pool and listen to KXOK blaring over their PA system. Does
anyone remember Mort Crowley?

Baker, Jane Baker
"What a lovely day to have a slice of humble pie..."
Kathi
2004-02-06 10:13:21 UTC
Oh, and I know this is a little OT too... but why can't we get the
syndicated Dr. Demento show in the Detroit area?
R H Draney
2004-02-06 19:49:11 UTC
Post by Kathi
Oh, and I know this is a little OT too... but why can't we get the
syndicated Dr. Demento show in the Detroit area?
Have a look here: http://mypage.iu.edu/~jbmorris/FAQ/stations.html

Should also be some links in there to the few remaining stations that carry him
on the Web....

Back on the original topic, I stumbled across an AM station in Tucson when I was
down there last November...playlist seemed to cover more or less late 1930s to
early 70s (there were a couple of Olivia Newton-John songs at the high end, and
I know I heard Freddie Martin at the other extreme)...up here in the larger
radio market of Phoenix, where Clear Channel barks at anything else and drives
it away, we've got nothing like that....r
Rob Petrie
2004-02-06 13:11:50 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Baker, Jane Baker
Post by JoJo Krako
Many of us remember when AM radio actually played music. Growing up
in the midwest in the 60s and 70s I listened to these stations at night.
DXing was a little hobby of mine. Any other Top 40 powerhouses you
miss from your youth? I was not familiar with the west coast stations.
Most of these stations still exist, some in a talk radio or sports format
with different call letters.
KMOX-1100 St. Louis (not really top 40, but I liked listening
to Cardinal baseball games on it at night, before Cable TV).
KMOX is on 1120 (pretty sure it always has been) and still carries St.
Louis Cardinal games. It's all talk/sports.
http://www.kmox.com/home/
It is, KMOX-1120. Started broadcasting Dec. 25, 1925.
It's initials were an acronym from: K (almost all stations west of the
Mississippi River start with 'K'), MO--for Missouri, and X--for Christmas
Day start.

The "Mighty Mox" is a 50,000 Watt blowtorch station, as I'm sure you
knew.
Post by Baker, Jane Baker
KXOK in St. Louis used to play Top 40 back in the day. We'd walk to
the public pool and listen to KXOK blaring over their PA system. Does
anyone remember Mort Crowley?
The late Mort Crowley had a great voice for doing the news, which he
did.
Don't forget Johnny Rabbit! [He is now on WRTH-1430 Oldies; WRTH used
to be 'Easy Listening' before the switch last July.]
Dave Balcom
2004-02-06 18:32:04 UTC
On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:11:50 GMT, "Rob Petrie" <r*@att.net> wrote:

} Don't forget Johnny Rabbit! [He is now on WRTH-1430 Oldies; WRTH used
}to be 'Easy Listening' before the switch last July.]

I remember when 1430 in St. Louis was WIL-AM...

Later,
Dave
Rob Petrie
2004-02-07 01:38:51 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Dave Balcom
} Don't forget Johnny Rabbit! [He is now on WRTH-1430 Oldies; WRTH used
}to be 'Easy Listening' before the switch last July.]
I remember when 1430 in St. Louis was WIL-AM...
So do I. But not anymore!
Same for KXOK-630 as a great rock 'n' roll station.
Post by Dave Balcom
Later,
Dave
Kathi
2004-02-06 10:11:13 UTC
Post by JoJo Krako
CKLW-800 Detroit/Windsor (Any Detroit residents know what became
of CKLW ? The call letters now belong to an FM station)
CKLW AM800 still exists on the dial, but is all talk now. It used to
be THE Top 40 station in all of the eastern Great Lakes area, due to
its super-high powered transmission from Windsor. I remember calling
up DJ Ted "The Bear" Richards and requesting (ugh) "Seasons in the
Sun" and Heart's "Barracuda."

I can receive only three FM stations inside my place of employment,
and the local "oldies" station is not one of them. :( I'd much
rather have a little news and commentary from the AM band, but that's
not gonna happen, either.

Growing up in suburban Detroit in the '70s, I had a pocket transistor
radio (orange, from Radio Shack), AM only. My mom had an AM only
kitchen radio, and I'd sometimes borrow it to scan the dial in the
evening, seeing which other faraway AM stations I could receive. WLS
in Chicago came in crystal clear, like it was next door; so did WABC
in New York. We didn't have an FM radio in the house until 1978,
which is also when we got our first phonograph... and my friend gave
me Bob Seger's "Night Moves" album for Christmas, my first record
album.

Another Top 40 station in the Detroit area was "Keener 13"... WKNR
1300. I think it became "Radio Disney" or some such in the late '80s,
and I have no idea what's currently there.

Kathi
James Neibaur
2004-02-06 12:27:12 UTC
Post by Kathi
I remember calling
up DJ Ted "The Bear" Richards and requesting (ugh) "Seasons in the
Sun" and Heart's "Barracuda."
I was about to post that Seasons in the Sun has to be the most depressing
song, and then suddenly remembered Patches, Lori, Last Kiss, Teen Angel,
Tell Laura I Love Her, I Want My Baby Back, etc.

JN
MWB
2004-02-06 17:05:12 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
Post by Kathi
I remember calling
up DJ Ted "The Bear" Richards and requesting (ugh) "Seasons in the
Sun" and Heart's "Barracuda."
I was about to post that Seasons in the Sun has to be the most depressing
song, and then suddenly remembered Patches, Lori, Last Kiss, Teen Angel,
Tell Laura I Love Her, I Want My Baby Back, etc.
JN
Seasons in the Sun was my high school class song.

Mark
NJ Charlie
2004-02-06 22:24:45 UTC
Growing up in the Worcester(MA) area, I listed to WBZ (couldn't get
Boston's WMEX), but 'BZ never really committed to rock (perhaps for a
brief year or so 'circa 66). They had Juiciy Bruce Bradley (who with a
straight face said the Kinsgmen's "Louie Louie" had clean lyrics).

WORC (in Worcester) played lots of records that never became national
hits, and 'broke' records that later became big hits.

I also listened to WABC (only New Yorker that reached central Mass),
WLS, CKLW, WPTR, WKBW among others.

I worked for a small station in 1969 in Claremont, NH, that not only
signed off at 11:15pm, but did NOT stay on the air when the Red Sox
went to the West Coast. We just didn't carry the games !! We were
'adult' in the day (Tony Bennett/Sinatra/etc), rock in the evening,
NBC network (a dull music/talk program called Monitor), country on
Saturday morning, and religious on Sunday morning. A typical small
town station..

WHAS (Louiville) and WBT (Charlotee) in the 70s and perhaps 80s played
a great range of oldies at night and/or on Sunday night specialty
shows.

Of course, I went FM when WKRO-FM (later WROR) went rock (then
oldies).

After moving back to NJ in 1979, I listened to Jerry Blavat on WPGR
(stood for Philly Gold Radio). THat station went black talk around
1995, and that was the last time I heard any music (of my liking) on
AM.
cugina
2004-02-06 23:25:14 UTC
Post by NJ Charlie
Growing up in the Worcester(MA) area, I listed to WBZ (couldn't get
Boston's WMEX), but 'BZ never really committed to rock (perhaps for a
brief year or so 'circa 66). They had Juiciy Bruce Bradley (who with a
straight face said the Kinsgmen's "Louie Louie" had clean lyrics).
Actually, "Louie Louie", as written by Richard Berry contained very harmless
and G-rated lyrics. The drunken frat-party slurred singing of the original
lyrics by the Kingsmen was interpreted as potty mouth (by Connie Francis (!)
among others at the time) but the lyrics were indeed clean.
Robert Feigel (aka Bob)
2004-02-07 01:11:56 UTC
Post by cugina
Post by NJ Charlie
Growing up in the Worcester(MA) area, I listed to WBZ (couldn't get
Boston's WMEX), but 'BZ never really committed to rock (perhaps for a
brief year or so 'circa 66). They had Juiciy Bruce Bradley (who with a
straight face said the Kinsgmen's "Louie Louie" had clean lyrics).
Actually, "Louie Louie", as written by Richard Berry contained very harmless
and G-rated lyrics. The drunken frat-party slurred singing of the original
lyrics by the Kingsmen was interpreted as potty mouth (by Connie Francis (!)
among others at the time) but the lyrics were indeed clean.
Speaking of so-called controversial lyrics ... one summer in
Evansville, Indiana, my 16 year old hormones raging rampant, the
Catholic archdiocese put a ban on Georgia Gibb's 'Dance With Me
Henry'. Why? Because, according to the archbishop, it promoted
pre-marital sex (would God answer my prayers?). Presumably 'dance' and
'rock' were deemed euphemisms for something far more sinister!!!

So some friends of mine (a couple of them Catholics) loaded a 4-ton
battery operated record player into my step-mother's Chevy Bel Air
convertible and drove over to the archbishop's mansion, parked on the
street outside the ornate victorian iron fence and cranked up the 45
as far as it would go. It was especially fitting as his grace's first
name was Henry.

Foolishly, we followed the rather innocuous, 'Dance ...' with
something a bit more gritty called 'Woman Love' by IIRC, Gene Vincent,
which had been banned by some E-town stations. By the time we got to
'Tweedlee Dee' the police had arrived. No more mobile DJ's that
summer. b

WOMAN LOVE Lyrics

Woman Love, hey hey hey, woman love, hey hey
Woman Love, hey hey hey, woman love, hey hey

Well I went to my good doctor not so long ago
A-walkin' in a circle and moanin' low
He looked at me and said, Good Lord above, son,
You need a vaccination of a-woman love.

Well I'm lookin' for a woman with a one track mind
A huggin' and a kissin' and a smoochin' all the time
I'd build her a castle to the moon up above
I sure am a needin' me some woman love. (Let's rock)

We'll I'm lookin' for a lovin' gal that needs a lot of care
Not worried about her figure or the color of her hair
The doctor really scared me when he said, Good Lord above,
You sure am a-needin' you some woman love.

Well I'm tired of walkin' circles, tired of moanin' low
I want my baby with me everywhere I go
I want my lovin' baby to call him turtle dove
I sure am a-needin' me some woman love (Let's rock again)

James Neibaur
2004-02-07 01:37:17 UTC
Post by Robert Feigel (aka Bob)
Speaking of so-called controversial lyrics ... one summer in
Evansville, Indiana, my 16 year old hormones raging rampant, the
Catholic archdiocese put a ban on Georgia Gibb's 'Dance With Me
Henry'. Why? Because, according to the archbishop, it promoted
pre-marital sex (would God answer my prayers?). Presumably 'dance' and
'rock' were deemed euphemisms for something far more sinister!!!
The original by Etta James has the line "While the cats are ballin, you
better stop your stallin" which had something to do with the controversy
(balling also meant dancing -- see "Good Golly Miss Molly")

JN
NJ Charlie
2004-02-07 03:00:35 UTC
I am aware of (and own) the Richard Berry version, and yes it is
clean.

However, the Kingsmen 'frat-house' version is FAR from clean.
Although the words are slurred and basically unintelligable on a old
transistor or crappy stereo, they can be heard pretty clearly on a CD
or good
turntable.
I have no problem with the lyrics, but they are/were not clean.

By the way, Berry didn't reap any financial reward until about the
late 1980s (not long before he died). He apparently signed away his
rights for some liquor or whatever back in the 50s.
R H Draney
2004-02-06 19:51:52 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
Post by Kathi
I remember calling
up DJ Ted "The Bear" Richards and requesting (ugh) "Seasons in the
Sun" and Heart's "Barracuda."
I was about to post that Seasons in the Sun has to be the most depressing
song, and then suddenly remembered Patches, Lori, Last Kiss, Teen Angel,
Tell Laura I Love Her, I Want My Baby Back, etc.
"Last Game Of The Season" (subtitled "The Blind Man In The Bleachers") by David
Geddes....

But still not a patch on "D.O.A" by Bloodrock....r
King Daevid MacKenzie
2004-02-07 03:16:56 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
I was about to post that Seasons in the Sun has to be the most depressing
song, and then suddenly remembered Patches, Lori, Last Kiss, Teen Angel,
Tell Laura I Love Her, I Want My Baby Back, etc.
..."I want my baby back" isn't depressing, just macabre. To sink into a
_real_ depression, one has to listen to Bobby Darin's "Artificial
Flowers" several times over...
DGH
2004-02-06 21:53:27 UTC
.

I especially miss:

- WBZ in Boston ("We'll B Z-ing you.") with Larry Glick.

- WCBS (or was it WNBC -- WCBS I think), "All news radio 88" at 880 on the dial.

- - - -
David Samuel Barr
2004-02-08 07:47:16 UTC
Post by DGH
- WBZ in Boston ("We'll B Z-ing you.") with Larry Glick.
- WCBS (or was it WNBC -- WCBS I think), "All news radio 88" at 880 on the dial.
WCBS (880 AM) has been NewsRadio 88 since 1967 (all-news since 1970).
WNBC (660 AM) was a Top 40 (or rather, CHR; radio playlists haven't been
40 songs long since the 60s) music station beginning in 1970 until it
was sold in 1988 to Emmis Broadcasting, which moved its WFAN sports talk
radio (which originally had replaced WHN at 1050 AM a year earlier) to
that frequency.

WMID (1340 AM - The Jersey Giant), where I worked in 1974, is another
former Top 40 AM station no longer using that format, or even live DJs.
I went down there for a visit in 1999, and found only an unmanned
trailer in place of the old studio building (everything is now being
piped in from a satellite service or on automated carts).
EvelynMcH
2004-02-06 22:00:36 UTC
Double ewe-Ay-Beatle-Cee all the way.

http://www.musicradio77.com/

When I was a sophisticated teen with a Grundig AM/FM Stereo, it was WNEW-FM all
the way. Zacherly, Allison Steele, Scott Muni....

The only other one I really miss is WOR710-AM not for the music but for
listening to Ramblin' with Gambling for the snow closings in the morning, and
Jean Shepherd from the radio under my pillow at night - even when I had the
Grundig. There was just something about Shep that meant you had to have the
radio right next to your ear.

-=>epm<=-

In matters of truth and justice,
there is no difference between large and small problems,
for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
- Albert Einstein
PNTX
- Albert Einstein
Al Radzik
2004-02-08 12:48:27 UTC
Post by EvelynMcH
Double ewe-Ay-Beatle-Cee all the way.
<GGG> And of course, Dan Ingram who called the Beatles, the "Budapest
String Quartet"!
I too loved WNEW-FM...especially the soothing voice of Allison
Steele.....Come......fly with me........

Sidenote: As a kid of the fifties in Boston, I listened to WMEX-AM "
Color Radio!

Al
- Albert Einstein
Chuck Kopsho
2004-02-10 04:14:12 UTC
To All:
As a native Southern Californian, I listened to KFI AM 640, 93 KHJ and
KFWB, coloradio 980. And in San Diego, it was KCBQ 1170.
KFI is now a news/talk station, KHJ now has a spanish language format,
and KFWB is a 24-hour news station. KCBQ now is a talk station with a
format that targets the conservative audience.
Your thoughts.

Cheers,
Chuck Kopsho
Oceanside, California

P.S.
You can hear airchecks from these and other stations by going to
www.reelradio.com
Robert Feigel (aka Bob)
2004-02-10 05:10:44 UTC
Post by Chuck Kopsho
As a native Southern Californian, I listened to KFI AM 640, 93 KHJ and
KFWB, coloradio 980. And in San Diego, it was KCBQ 1170.
KFI is now a news/talk station, KHJ now has a spanish language format,
and KFWB is a 24-hour news station. KCBQ now is a talk station with a
format that targets the conservative audience.
Your thoughts.
Cheers,
Chuck Kopsho
Oceanside, California
P.S.
You can hear airchecks from these and other stations by going to
www.reelradio.com
Many thanks for the link. Speaking of KFWB, remember DJ, Bill Balance?
I wonder if he's on or off topic. b

Tregembo
2004-02-10 05:17:07 UTC
Post by Chuck Kopsho
As a native Southern Californian, I listened to KFI AM 640, 93 KHJ and
KFWB, coloradio 980. And in San Diego, it was KCBQ 1170.
KFI is now a news/talk station, KHJ now has a spanish language format,
and KFWB is a 24-hour news station. KCBQ now is a talk station with a
format that targets the conservative audience.
Your thoughts.
Cheers,
Chuck Kopsho
Oceanside, California
P.S.
You can hear airchecks from these and other stations by going to
www.reelradio.com
Many thanks for the link. Speaking of KFWB, remember DJ, Bill Balance?
I wonder if he's on or off topic. b
I believe Bill is still OT. He created headlines a few years ago when he
released nude photos of Dr. Laura on the Internet. Evidently they were an
item several decades ago. Who knew she wasn't a natural blonde :)

Ray Arthur
happy
2004-02-07 15:41:19 UTC
1150 in Hamilton, is Oldies - excellent station, and the one I listened to
in high school when those songs were new.

Chum 1050 was an oldies station, but I don't know now what it is.

Sally
MFaust1071
2004-02-16 15:15:59 UTC
<< WKBW-1520 Buffalo, NY >>

is now back on the air as an oldies station, with three of its original DJs
(well, three who were big in the late 60s/early 70s).