PI Day, plus Albert Einstein's birthday
News
2015-03-14 11:52:07 UTC
http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/13/living/pi-day-things-to-know-feat/index.html

"A number of things to know about Pi"

Updated 8:56 PM ET, Fri March 13, 2015

(CNN)Pi Day is going to be extra special this year, as 2015 stretches the
symbolic March 14 celebration out a little longer to 3.1415.

And if you mark pi at 9:26.53 in the morning or night, you're just a little
more in line with the celebrated irrational number that never ends. To 31
decimal places, pi is 3.1415926535897932384626433832795.

A few more tidbits about pi and Pi Day:

About pi

Pi is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. It's not
equal to the ratio of any two whole numbers, so an approximation -- 22/7 --
is used in many calculations. Pi is essential in architecture and
construction and was used frequently by early astronomers. Pi has been known
for about 4,000 years, but it started to be called by the Greek letter only
in the 1700s.

The origin of Pi Day

Pi Day started 27 years ago at San Francisco's Exploratorium. Physicist
Larry Shaw, who worked in the electronics group at the museum, started
celebrating pi on March 14, 1988, primarily with museum staffers. The
tradition has grown to embrace math enthusiasts from all walks of life.

Celebrations

This year, the Exploratorium is hosting a day-long celebration at its
facility on Pier 15, including a Pi Procession, servings of pie and a pizza
pie dough-tossing event.

Pi Day is also Albert Einstein's birthday. In Princeton, New Jersey, where
Einstein lived for more than two decades, signs of the scientist permeate
the Pi Day festivities, from birthday parties at the Historical Society of
Princeton to an Einstein lookalike contest. Plus the requisite pie-eating,
pie-throwing and pizza pie creation.

For more about pi, visit http://www.piday.org.

CNN's Elizabeth Landau contributed to this report.

---

"War is the health of the State."
--Randolph Bourne (1886-1918)
r***@gmail.com
2015-03-14 16:19:55 UTC
Sorry Sir Roy, but I didn't see your posting--because it was inexplicably flagged as abusive!--before I posted my own Pi Day and Einstein communique in Kenny's birthdays roster thread.

One important mathematical thing you missed about pi is that it isn't merely irrational, but also transcendental, meaning that is cannot be the root of any equation with real coefficients. All transcendental numbers are of course irrational, but very few irrationals are transcendental.

There are, of course, an infinite quantity of transcendental numbers in the real numbers system, but because of their very nature, mathematicians have identified relatively few of them. The two best-known, of course, are pi and e.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
r***@gmail.com
2015-03-14 18:27:43 UTC
Oops; that should have read "rational coefficients". I regret the error.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
David Uri
2015-03-15 02:46:28 UTC
Post by News
And if you mark pi at 9:26.53 in the morning or night, you're just a little
more in line with the celebrated irrational number that never ends. To 31
decimal places, pi is 3.1415926535897932384626433832795.
The best mnemonic I know for Pi is

Now I, even I, would celebrate
in rhymes unapt,
the great immortal Syracusan,
rivaled nevermore,
who, in his wondreous lore,
passed on before,
left men his guidance
how to circles mensurate.

Regards,
--
David Uri.
Please visit my town - http://allezblancs.miniville.fr
VK: http://www.vk.com/daviduri
r***@gmail.com
2015-03-15 03:24:30 UTC
I believe the so-called Golden Ratio is also transcendental. (But I'd better check on that.)

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
r***@gmail.com
2015-03-15 05:13:29 UTC
Glad I checked. It turns out the Golden Ratio, while of course irrational, is not transcendental. I regret this error as well.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
R H Draney
2015-03-15 06:34:33 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
Glad I checked. It turns out the Golden Ratio, while of course
irrational, is not transcendental. I regret this error as well.
You mean 2*cos(36 degrees)?...or the average of 1 and sqrt(5)?...never
would have taken it for transcendental....r
David Uri
2015-03-15 13:52:58 UTC
Post by News
And if you mark pi at 9:26.53 in the morning or night, you're just a little
more in line with the celebrated irrational number that never ends. To 31
decimal places, pi is 3.1415926535897932384626433832795.
Of course, here in the UK where we write the date the other way round,
Pi Day will be 31.4.15. Err, wait a minute....

Regards,
VK: http://www.vk.com/daviduri
Kenny McCormack
2015-03-15 14:47:15 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>,
David Uri <***@bigfoot.com> wrote:
Post by David Uri
Of course, here in the UK where we write the date the other way round,
Pi Day will be 31.4.15. Err, wait a minute....
Heh heh. My wife's favorite number is e, so we were just discussing (a few
days ago now) the idea of celebrating it on February 71st.

One has to admit that this whole "Pi Day" thing only works under one, very
specific, set of assumptions.
--
One of the best lines I've heard lately:

Obama could cure cancer tomorrow, and the Republicans would be
complaining that he had ruined the pharmaceutical business.

(Heard on Stephanie Miller = but the sad thing is that there is an awful lot
of direct truth in it. We've constructed an economy in which eliminating
cancer would be a horrible disaster. There are many other such examples.)
David Uri
2015-03-15 15:22:40 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Heh heh. My wife's favorite number is e, so we were just discussing (a few
days ago now) the idea of celebrating it on February 71st.
So long as your wife's favourite number isn't i....

Regards,
VK: http://www.vk.com/daviduri
News
2015-03-15 17:33:08 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Heh heh. My wife's favorite number is e, so we were just discussing (a few
days ago now) the idea of celebrating it on February 71st.
So long as your wife's favourite number isn't i....

She would then be an extremist narcissist, but NO DAY to
express it on. :)

Regards,
VK: http://www.vk.com/daviduri
R H Draney
2015-03-15 20:22:16 UTC
Post by David Uri
Post by Kenny McCormack
Heh heh. My wife's favorite number is e, so we were just discussing
(a few days ago now) the idea of celebrating it on February 71st.
We haven't had an e-day since John Quincy Adams was president...back in
Imagine that!...r
News
2015-03-15 20:46:07 UTC
Post by David Uri
Post by Kenny McCormack
Heh heh. My wife's favorite number is e, so we were just discussing
(a few days ago now) the idea of celebrating it on February 71st.
We haven't had an e-day since John Quincy Adams was president...back in
2/7/1828....

Good work in uncovering the exact (snicker) date for the last
e-day!
However, you could have extended that to the time of day (18:28)
as there was with PI.

2.718281828459045...
[Wikipedia gives 'e' to 50 decimal places]

Give thanks to Leonhard Euler, who 'e' was the way of
honoring him in that one-letter way.

OK, now who gets to honor the invention of the important
place-holder 0 [zero], which was a monumental accomplishment in the
development of mathematics?!
[It was the Arabs who get the honor]
Post by David Uri
So long as your wife's favourite number isn't i....
Imagine that!...r

Very funny--NOT. :)
Go square yourself on some imaginary day of the year!
[i^2 = -1]

"I, yi, yi, yi, yi!"
--'Ricky Ricardo' (aka Desi Arnaz, on "I Love Lucy")
r***@gmail.com
2015-03-16 04:25:02 UTC
For my money, Euler was the greatest mathematician in history. He ought to be as famous as Aristotle.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
News
2015-03-16 06:30:58 UTC
Bryan wrote in message news:fd22c100-c394-4212-b736-***@googlegroups.com...

For my money, Euler [1707-1783] was the greatest mathematician in history.
He ought to be as famous as Aristotle.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida

---

And more Austrian in economic thinking than that communist Plato guy.
But, I'll stick with ol' Issac (1642-1726) as the greatest mathematician in
history, and one of the greatest physicists also, along with the
revolutionary-thinking Einstein.

Without him, there might have been no modern physics or calculus for many
more decades (the German mathematician Gottfried Leibniz 1646-1716, also
gets co-credit with Newton for the invention of calculus at about the same
time, and mathematics adopted Leibniz' notation for calculus, such as the
integral sign--an elongated 'S'), setting back mathematics for generations.

Newton also served as Master of the Royal Mint, and devoted much work to
biblical chronology--although not published until years after he died.

He really was the father of the modern scientific revolution, post-Galileo
who challenged the Church's Earth-centered teaching.

Newton formulated the laws of motion, besides his well-known universal
gravitational force and that it was a constant.

He built the first reflecting telescope that ever since has been named in
his honor: using a mirror instead of a very heavy glass lens (refractor type
which has a smaller limit in size, the 40-inch diameter at Yerkes
Observatory in southern Wisconsin since 1897, because of the weight), in a
Newtonian design.

I think it's hilarious that over 3 centuries later (1711), mathematicians
are still fighting over who invented calculus first: Newton or Leibniz, or
if Leibniz stole the idea from Newton, they both discovered it independently
at approximately the same time, etc.