Louise Watson (Roberts), 98, second-tier Our Gang player (late '20s silents, early '30s)
2018-06-23 17:30:19 UTC
[I remember having seen the name "Lucille Watson" in the Leonard Maltin/Richard Bann "The Little Rascals" book. However, a cursory IMdB search only yields an almost-spelled-alike older actress names "Lucile Watson."]

http://tolucantimes.info/obituaries/louise-roberts-burbank-resident-former-our-gang-child-actor/

Obituaries

Louise Roberts, Burbank resident, former ‘Our Gang’ child actor

By Staff Writer — June 15, 2018

Louise (Watson) Roberts, 98, passed away peacefully at home at 9:10pm on Tuesday, June 5, 2018. She lived for 68 years in the same home on Pass Avenue in Burbank with her husband Joe Roberts, WWII veteran and long-time Burbank Optician. Louise is survived by daughter Jill Roberts, son Robb Roberts and daughter-in-law Barbara Roberts.

Services will be held on Monday, June 18, 11am, at Magnolia Park Methodist Church in Burbank with interment to follow at 1pm at Pierce Brothers Valhalla Memorial Park & Mortuary in North Hollywood.

Louise Watson (Roberts) was born on November 22, 1919; she was always the brightest light in the room. Her smile was captured in the “Our Gang” comedies and other films of the 1920s and 1930s. “I was the fourth ring around the bath tub,” Louise would say, as the fourth of nine children, born just yards from the Mack Sennett Studios in Edendale, California (the birthplace of Hollywood). The whole family appeared in over 1,000 silent and sound movies until the 1940s. Louise was present when The Watson family received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1999.

Louise Watson was a cheerleader and studied theatre in high school and college and in 1943 she married her childhood-sweetheart, Joe Roberts. Joe lost his leg in the Pacific during WWII and after returning home, he and Louise bought their home on Pass Avenue in Burbank.

Louise Roberts gave a lifetime of service to Burbank. She served for years in the PTA, as a manager of a Burbank pony-tail league team and was a Sunday school teacher at Magnolia Park Methodist Church. Louise was a 50-year member of the Native Daughters of the Golden West. She taught English as a second language, worked for the Valley College book store and served as secretary for her brother’s photography businesses and then for husband Joe for 30 years at Joe Roberts Optical in Burbank.

In later life she was “Aunt Louise” to the thousands of young lives she touched as junior high and high school youth director and as she assisted in daughter Jill’s kindergarten classes for years in Burbank.

“Firecracker” describes Louise best – always loving, always fun, caring and uplifting. She was “lit” from within with God’s love and that love shown brightly on all she came in contact with.
David Carson
2018-06-25 00:29:08 UTC
[I remember having seen the name "Lucille Watson" in the Leonard Maltin/Richard Bann "The Little Rascals" book. However, a cursory IMdB search only yields an almost-spelled-alike older actress names "Lucile Watson."]
http://tolucantimes.info/obituaries/louise-roberts-burbank-resident-former-our-gang-child-actor/
Sounds like another poser.

Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
Diner
2018-06-25 00:54:06 UTC
Post by David Carson
Post by That Derek
[I remember having seen the name "Lucille Watson" in the Leonard Maltin/Richard Bann "The Little Rascals" book. However, a cursory IMdB search only yields an almost-spelled-alike older actress names "Lucile Watson."]
http://tolucantimes.info/obituaries/louise-roberts-burbank-resident-former-our-gang-child-actor/
Sounds like another poser.
Maybe... but this one seems to have a bit more legitimacy than the other pseudo-Out Gang members.

There is a IMDB entry for this Louise Watson at https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0914777/

However, while it lists her as being born in 1919 and dying in 2018, this entry clearly conflates her vintage credits with those of *another* Louise Watson, an Australian TV actress active from 1992 to 1997. (And since the obit above claims that Louise lived in the same house in Burbank for 68 years, I doubt she was dashing off to Melbourne to guest star on "Blue Heelers.")

Those two vintage credits (one from 1928, the other from 1935) are for uncredited roles - and they are both for movies in which she appeared alongside her gaggle of acting siblings.

Louise's brother Delmar Watson, who had a quite successful career as a child actor (as did brothers Harry and Bobs), said in an interview that he did appear as an extra in a couple Our Gang shorts, but quit because the extras were not paid. It's conceivable that Louise was an unpaid extra in those same shorts.

There is a Wikipedia entry for the entire Watson family at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson_family