King Daevid MacKenzie, alt.obits participant from days of yore
Add Reply
J.D. Baldwin
2017-07-15 12:57:44 UTC
Multiple people on Facebook who are in contact with Daevid (including
someone with access to his own account) are reporting his death. He
has been active there as recently as yesterday. I don't know his age,
but I think he was in his mid-60's. He certainly had his share, and
then some, of health problems. I suppose they caught up to him.

I am an inveterate right-winger and Daevid was pretty hard left. But
he was an honest man who could take a joke, and in my book that's all
I really need to get along with someone. I never met him face-to-
face, but if I'd been in his neighborhood I would have sought him out.

He also had a really terrific radio voice, even if (in my opinion) he
had an inflated estimation of his own talent in that area.

RIP
2017-07-15 14:31:31 UTC
Sorry to hear of his passing.
Jason
2017-07-15 15:01:04 UTC
--
His Facebook page show date of birth as Feb 9, 1961, so age 56
You can view a pic of him on his blog profile here: https://www.blogger.com/profile/03107942099115584450
or a bigger one on Google here: Loading Image...
c***@aol.com
2017-07-15 17:26:59 UTC
56 is young.
Louis Epstein
2017-07-16 18:44:53 UTC
Post by Jason
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Multiple people on Facebook who are in contact with Daevid (including
someone with access to his own account) are reporting his death. He
has been active there as recently as yesterday. I don't know his age,
but I think he was in his mid-60's. He certainly had his share, and
then some, of health problems. I suppose they caught up to him.
I am an inveterate right-winger and Daevid was pretty hard left. But
he was an honest man who could take a joke, and in my book that's all
I really need to get along with someone. I never met him face-to-
face, but if I'd been in his neighborhood I would have sought him out.
He also had a really terrific radio voice, even if (in my opinion) he
had an inflated estimation of his own talent in that area.
RIP
His Facebook page show date of birth as Feb 9, 1961, so age 56
or a bigger one on Google here: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-98BYYjo3_4E/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAAJo/pdPZBRnlrfw/s640/photo.jpg
a***@sympatico.ca
2017-07-15 18:37:24 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Multiple people on Facebook who are in contact with Daevid (including
someone with access to his own account) are reporting his death. He
has been active there as recently as yesterday. I don't know his age,
but I think he was in his mid-60's. He certainly had his share, and
then some, of health problems. I suppose they caught up to him.
I am an inveterate right-winger and Daevid was pretty hard left. But
he was an honest man who could take a joke, and in my book that's all
I really need to get along with someone. I never met him face-to-
face, but if I'd been in his neighborhood I would have sought him out.
He also had a really terrific radio voice, even if (in my opinion) he
had an inflated estimation of his own talent in that area.
RIP
I'm sorry to hear that. I didn't know him personally but he was still among those of us who participate in the alt.obituaries deadpool. I'm pretty sure that, like me, he made mentioned of being a one-time listener to the 'Trivia Spectacular' radio show with David Strauss (who died in June) during at least some of its run on KMOX St. Louis. I believe he discussed in these forums the difficulties he'd had with landlords, from time to time, that caused him stress.

RIP
Sarah Ehrett
2017-07-16 03:41:04 UTC
Sorry to hear.
David Carson
2017-07-16 14:31:03 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
He also had a really terrific radio voice, even if (in my opinion) he
had an inflated estimation of his own talent in that area.
If I remember correctly, his sig plainly stated that his estimation of his
own talent was factual, and not inflated.
Aje RavenStar
2017-07-16 14:49:39 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
He also had a really terrific radio voice, even if (in my opinion) he
had an inflated estimation of his own talent in that area.
If I remember correctly, his sig plainly stated that his estimation of his
own talent was factual, and not inflated.
This one?

King Daevid MacKenzie.
No brag, just fact.
http://myspace.com/kingdaevid
http://groups.google.ca/group/hateradioboycott
"You're only entitled to your informed opinion." HARLAN ELLISON
marcus
2017-07-16 15:34:02 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
He also had a really terrific radio voice, even if (in my opinion) he
had an inflated estimation of his own talent in that area.
If I remember correctly, his sig plainly stated that his estimation of his
own talent was factual, and not inflated.
We emailed for awhile and he posted occasionally on the 1960s ng that I moderated. I remember both his legal and health issues. And I also recall his strong and confident liberal views. Sorry to hear of his passing:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/1960s/_zzr7ohXVKM

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/1960s/up0nXz8AjbM

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/1960s/2g92jW5uDdY

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/1960s/6dMDYvcv_74

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/1960s/yrS45J-q_jQ
c***@aol.com
2017-07-16 17:52:11 UTC
Because what matters is not that he was a person but that he had "liberal" views according to internet asshat Marcoos..
Dave Garrett
2017-07-17 00:32:47 UTC
I was wondering if someone had already posted here about this. I wasn't
friends with him on Facebook, but I saw the post announcing his death
last night when someone else I know commented on it.

RIP.
Dave
Diner
2017-07-17 00:41:41 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
I am an inveterate right-winger and Daevid was pretty hard left. But
he was an honest man who could take a joke, and in my book that's all
I really need to get along with someone. I never met him face-to-
face, but if I'd been in his neighborhood I would have sought him out.
I had no idea about his politics (or yours, J.D.) since I always skip political posts and stop reading threads once they turn political. I've been doing that since I started reading this group, probably 15+ years ago.

(Why anyone would want to read about, or discuss, politics on a newsgroup is beyond me. Especially on a newsgroup called "alt.obituaries." I come here to get *away* from politics. And I'm sure a lot of us are smart people, but if anyone here were qualified to write about politics, well, they wouldn't be doing it here. They'd be getting paid to do it.)

Still, I always enjoyed reading Daevid's obituary-related posts, and I'm very sorry to hear about his passing.
J.D. Baldwin
2017-07-17 13:31:04 UTC
Post by Diner
(Why anyone would want to read about, or discuss, politics on a
newsgroup is beyond me. Especially on a newsgroup called
"alt.obituaries." I come here to get *away* from politics.
I'm not going to claim a.o. political arguments have never gotten out
of hand, and I'm not going to claim I was never personally responsible
for things getting out of hand. But this is alt.*, and the whole
hierarchy was founded with the notion that it would be more
freewheeling and loose than "regular" Usenet. It's not the same as
derailing a comp.lang.perl discussion about anonymous hashes to
complain about Donald Trump's toupée.

And in any event, obituaries are about the lives of notable people,
and that creates a political dimension in and of itself. Not every
political point is automatically off-topic for a.o. Far from it.
Post by Diner
And I'm sure a lot of us are smart people, but if anyone here were
qualified to write about politics, well, they wouldn't be doing it
here. They'd be getting paid to do it.)
I assure you I am being entirely nonpartisan when I say that this is a
particularly dumb sentiment.

Many people getting paid to write about politics are complete idiots
who have no idea what's going on around them, politically speaking.
(I think that has recently been demonstrated beyond reasonable
question.) A great many of the non-idiots are liars. Many people who
write about politics as a hobby (the so-called "blogosphere") are
extremely insightful and well informed. On a given day, there is more
intellectual rigor and honesty in (say) a Popehat post than in the
entire "A" section of the New York Times.
Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love Interest
2017-07-17 21:41:25 UTC
J.D. Baldwin,
"It's not the same as
derailing a comp.lang.perl discussion about anonymous hashes to
complain about Donald Trump's toupée"

It's not a cheap looking rug. It is a cheap dye job and an intricate comb over. It takes time and copious amounts of hairspray. Full directions published in Time magazine: http://time.com/3923297/donald-trump-hair-secret/

Rumors are The Donald was too cheap to splurge for a costly human wig.

And an attempt at hair transplants was so painful that it did not work out for him and even worse for ex-wife Ivana.
t***@iwvisp.com
2017-07-17 17:05:06 UTC
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 5:41:44 PM UTC-7, Diner wrote:

The Political bullshit is what pulled me away years ago when a few core members created the Facebook page. For the most part it stays on topic.
Interestingly, and maybe morbidly, Amelia Rosner pointed out on the FB page that, in the Deadpool, Daevid got a solo hit on Martin Landau as they both are believed to have died on Saturday.

Ray Arthur