Healthwatch: Snopes
2017-07-24 19:54:17 UTC
Interesting timing...

<https://www.gofundme.com/savesnopes>

SNOPES.COM COMMUNITY: WE NEED YOUR HELP
Snopes.com in Danger of Shuttering

Dear Readers,

Snopes.com, which began as a small one-person effort in 1994 and has
since become one of the Internet’s oldest and most popular
fact-checking sites, is in danger of closing its doors. So, for the
first time in our history, we are turning to you, our readership, for
help.

Since our inception, we have always been a self-sustaining site that
provides a free service to the online world: we've had no sponsors, no
outside investors or funding, and no source of revenue other than that
provided by online advertising. Unfortunately, we have been cut off
from our historic source of advertising income.

We had previously contracted with an outside vendor to provide certain
services for Snopes.com. That contractual relationship ended earlier
this year, but the vendor will not acknowledge the change in
contractual status and continues to essentially hold the Snopes.com
web site hostage. Although we maintain editorial control (for now),
the vendor will not relinquish the site’s hosting to our control, so
we cannot modify the site, develop it, or - most crucially - place
advertising on it. The vendor continues to insert their own ads and
has been withholding the advertising revenue from us.

Our legal team is fighting hard for us, but, having been cut off from
all revenue, we are facing the prospect of having no financial means
to continue operating the site and paying our staff (not to mention
covering our legal fees) in the meanwhile.

As misinformation has increasingly threatened democracies around the
world (including our own), Snopes.com has stood in the forefront of
fighting for truth and dispelling misinformation online. It is vital
that these efforts continue, so we are asking the Snopes.com community
to donate what they can. (Our suggested donation is $10, but if you
can give more please consider doing so - every little bit helps.)

We need our community now more than ever, as it is only through your
support that Snopes.com can remain the community and resource we all
know and love.

Sincerely yours,

Team Snopes.
RH Draney
Too many people installing ad-blockers, eh?...r
David Carson
2017-07-25 00:22:03 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
We had previously contracted with an outside vendor to provide certain
services for Snopes.com. That contractual relationship ended earlier
this year, but the vendor will not acknowledge the change in
contractual status and continues to essentially hold the Snopes.com
web site hostage. Although we maintain editorial control (for now),
the vendor will not relinquish the site’s hosting to our control, so
we cannot modify the site, develop it, or - most crucially - place
advertising on it. The vendor continues to insert their own ads and
has been withholding the advertising revenue from us.
My web sites operate off of hardware and software I own, running code I
wrote, existing in space I lease. I have a fully redundant, mirrored
system in my house, which I can make live in about ten minutes if my
office goes dark. The only thing I rely on an outside provider for is the
internet connection(s). I realize that larger web sites that get more
traffic can't operate this way, but I still that even if my sites were 100
times larger, I would figure out a way to keep everything as in-house as
possible.

Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
danny burstein
2017-07-25 00:25:30 UTC
Post by David Carson
My web sites operate off of hardware and software I own, running code I
wrote, existing in space I lease. I have a fully redundant, mirrored
system in my house, which I can make live in about ten minutes if my
office goes dark. The only thing I rely on an outside provider for is the
internet connection(s). I realize that larger web sites that get more
traffic can't operate this way, but I still that even if my sites were 100
times larger, I would figure out a way to keep everything as in-house as
this whole mess is a consequence of the very ugly divorce, with
the incoming finances under the control (for now at least) of
one spouse and her connections, and the editorial control
under the other's.

("incoming finances" => who gets the checks from the advertisers)

Good writeup in legal trade press:

https://www.courthousenews.com/fact-checker-snopes-owners-accused-corporate-subterfuge/
***@panix.com
2017-07-25 12:56:26 UTC
On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 00:25:30 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
Post by danny burstein
this whole mess is a consequence of the very ugly divorce, with
the incoming finances under the control (for now at least) of
one spouse and her connections, and the editorial control
under the other's.
Thanks. I have to say that after reading a few articles about it, I feel
pretty unsympathetic toward the "editorial control" spouse who's makiing
the plea for funds.
is FALSE.
Bryan Styble
2017-07-25 13:09:00 UTC
I generally echo what you've written David, and I think we can all agree that should this personal dispute--which of course rightfully belongs in divorce court--end up scuttling the site, we'll all be worse off, as I have found that Snopes analyses are both comprehensive and pretty reliable.

2017-07-25 07:48:48 UTC
Post by David Carson
Post by Terry del Fuego
[...]
I have got to replace a failed disk,but certainly I agree with
keeping everything on my own premises to the extent possible!