Lady MacTaggart & the Curse of the Cravens...
2015-04-27 05:39:18 UTC
Lady MacTaggart, who died 13 March, 2002, was the first wife of the
late 6th Earl of Craven, and was widow of the industrialist Sir Andrew
McCormick MacTaggart.
She was born Irene Meyrick, 6th daughter of Ferdinand Richard Holmes
Meyrick, MD, of Kensington, and married firstly, as his first wife, 3
May, 1939, (divorced 1954), William Robert Bradley Craven, 6th Earl of
Craven, (1917-65).
A daughter, Lady Sarah Craven, was born in 1940, but no male heir. The
Craven family are reputedly victim to a gypsy curse, *the Curse of the
Cravens*, and the earls, by tradition, die before they are 57. The 1st
Earl was dead at 54; the 2nd Earl was 56; the 3rd Earl was 42; the 4th
Earl was accidentally drowned at a wild yacht party, aged 52; the 5th
Earl was 35; the 6th Earl died from leukaemia at 47; the 7th Earl shot
himself at 26, in a fit of depression; and the 8th Earl was fatally
injured when his car collided with two parked vehicles as he drove
along the Eastbourne seafront, aged 28.
Legend also has it that a curse hangs over the Craven ancestral home,
Morewood House, Hamstead Marshall, Berkshire, sold after the 7th
Earl's suicide.
A later owner of Morewood, Dr Robert Reid, a former BBC Science
editor, also committed suicide.
Irene, Countess of Craven, married secondly, as his second wife, 1961,
Sir Andrew MacTaggart, the civil engineer and company director
responsible for the design and construction of Grampian Comapny's
hydro-elecetric development in Scotland, and similar constructions in
India, Italy, and East Africa.
Lady MacTaggart's funeral has taken place in South Africa. She is
survived by her daughter.
...Michael Rhodes.
Hello , I found the story in an old episode of a show "One Step Beyond" the story there has it as it was the fathers curse . Included I hope will be a link so you may check it out . ty Rev. E.A.R.

j***@gmail.com
2015-11-21 13:08:09 UTC
My father was an acquaintance of Bobby Craven. The story I'm familiar with (my father's retelling) is that he resided in their family hotel/boarding house in Harcourt Street in Dublin for a period of time following an entrapment style marriage. When he stayed with them he went by the name of Bobby Craven and although they were curious as to how he managed to fund his expensive (by Dublin standards of the time) tastes, they found him kind, gentlemanly and good company. He was convinced and spoke of knowing "he'd die young". Then one day people showed up at the door (I thought it was press but I can find no account of same). There was a bit of consternation at the idea Bobby might have been a criminal fugitive. Instead, he sat down with the family and said "I am Bobby Craven but I am also William Robert Craven the 6th Earl of Craven. My father's telling of his version of events is that he was on a night out drinking with his buddies (possibly womanising was on the cards too - my Dad unlikely to relay same to his daughter) and when he awoke he was in bed with a woman. He apparently asked "who the hell are you?" And she said "that's no way to speak to your wife!". My Dad's account was that he had been married to meyrick's daughter (Meyrick was the Heidi Fleiss of her time - a prominent madam) while under the influence of various substances. He then fled and hid out in Dublin where he met my family. My Dad's retelling was that Bobby believed his family cursed, that the heirs died young but also included something about foxes gathering around/circling the home place on the night the Earl had died. Just thought this might be an interesting addition to this thread.
Anglo Saxon
2015-11-21 18:38:04 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
My father's telling of his version of events is that he was on a night out
drinking with his buddies (possibly womanising was on the cards too - my Dad
unlikely to relay same to his daughter) and when he awoke he was in bed with a
woman. He apparently asked "who the hell are you?" And she said "that's no way
to speak to your wife!". My Dad's account was that he had been married to
meyrick's daughter (Meyrick was the Heidi Fleiss of her time - a prominent
madam) while under the influence of various substances.
I'd like to meet an Irish priest who could or would marry two drunken people
in the middle of the night in Dublin, strangers to one another and one of them
a whore, to boot. That's not even an Irish story.
RH Draney
2015-11-21 20:13:34 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by j***@gmail.com
My father's telling of his version of events is that he was on a night out
drinking with his buddies (possibly womanising was on the cards too - my Dad
unlikely to relay same to his daughter) and when he awoke he was in bed with a
woman. He apparently asked "who the hell are you?" And she said "that's no way
to speak to your wife!". My Dad's account was that he had been married to
meyrick's daughter (Meyrick was the Heidi Fleiss of her time - a prominent
madam) while under the influence of various substances.
I'd like to meet an Irish priest who could or would marry two drunken people
in the middle of the night in Dublin, strangers to one another and one of them
a whore, to boot. That's not even an Irish story.
I'd like to meet a Google Groups user who quotes at least a little of
the message being responded to when over thirteen years have passed....r
j***@gmail.com
2015-11-22 08:55:21 UTC
Sorry!! I'd no idea it was 2002 thread- I was thinking of my Dad's story and wondering whether it was complete nonsense and then I came upon this thread in a random search. I just thought the story was interesting and I did couch it in terms of 'as it was relayed to me'.
j***@gmail.com
2015-11-22 08:50:54 UTC
I didn't say for one second that he was married in Ireland or by and Irish priest. I said he spent some time following an entrapment style marriage hiding out in Dublin.
j***@gmail.com
2015-11-22 09:59:57 UTC
Apologies RH Draney. I've no idea how to quote earlier text nor was I aware that this thread started in 2002! Your comments while fair were not kind.
Dear Anglo Saxon, I did not claim that he had been married in Ireland or by an Irish priest. I did say that following what my father believed to be an entrapment style marriage in England, he 'hid' in Dublin for a period of time. My Dad said this man believed himself cursed. It was a random Google search to find out further information on the plausibility of this story that I encountered this thread titled Lady McTaggart & the curse of the Cravens (again unaware it was from 2002). I don't mean to offend anyone. I was just searching for further potential information. I was careful to couch my entry in terms of 'how it was relayed to me'.
j***@gmail.com
2015-11-22 10:04:27 UTC
RH Draney
2015-11-22 12:14:36 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Apologies RH Draney. I've no idea how to quote earlier text nor was I aware that this thread started in 2002! Your comments while fair were not kind.
Be assured that it was not my intention to offend you, but to get in yet
another deserving dig at the people who designed Google Groups to
encourage the posting of reply messages that seem to appear from
nowhere....r
r***@gmail.com
2015-11-22 15:42:15 UTC
The redoubtable R.H. Draney opined to one and all:

...another deserving dig at the people who designed Google Groups to encourage the posting of reply messages that seem to appear from nowhere...
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

As Smokey would say, I'll second that emotion.

2015-11-24 06:07:21 UTC
Post by RH Draney
Post by j***@gmail.com
Apologies RH Draney. I've no idea how to quote earlier text nor was I aware that this thread started in 2002! Your comments while fair were not kind.
Be assured that it was not my intention to offend you, but to get in yet
another deserving dig at the people who designed Google Groups to
encourage the posting of reply messages that seem to appear from
nowhere....r
Nonetheless,some of us are glad there are some places old threads can be
revived!

l***@gmail.com
2016-10-01 23:26:47 UTC
i`m a craven and my grandma is 70 years old so that is a lie.
Louis Epstein
2016-10-02 22:31:55 UTC
Post by l***@gmail.com
i`m a craven and my grandma is 70 years old so that is a lie.
The curse applies supposedly to the holders of the Craven peerage,
not every Craven in the world.

u***@gmail.com
2017-10-06 22:40:27 UTC
Re: YouTube video

The video now seems to have been deleted. Please can the person who posted it summarize what it said?
Thanks.