Brandon Jenkins, 48, singer/songwriter in Red Dirt country genre (whatever that is)
2018-03-03 00:57:16 UTC
http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/music/red-dirt-music-artist-brandon-jenkins-dies/article_56755311-848a-5d8d-a7b5-0a74bc8e473f.html

breaking

Red dirt music artist Brandon Jenkins dies

By Jimmie Tramel Tulsa World
2 hrs ago

Red dirt music figure Brandon Jenkins of Tulsa has died. The news was posted to his official Facebook page Friday evening. He was 48.

Jenkins was admitted to Nashville hospital on Feb. 21 for a heart procedure, but there were complications and he remained hospitalized.

After news of his passing spread on social media, friends and fans of Jenkins weighed in with condolences.

“I am completely in shock,” country music artist Holly Tucker tweeted. “Gone too soon is an understatement. Heaven just gained one heck of a singer.”

Before the news arrived, it was reported that a benefit concert for Jenkins had been scheduled March 18 at the Venue Shrine, 112 E. 18th St.

The Red Dirt Rangers were scheduled to be among performers.

“He’s a Tulsa guy and we love Brandon,” John Cooper of the Red Dirt Rangers said before reports surfaced that Jenkins had died. “He is a jewel for Tulsa and a really great songwriter and performer. He is really held in high esteem all over the country.”

Jenkins attended Central High School and Oklahoma State University, where he became involved with others known for their contributions to the red dirt music scene.

His last album, "Tail Lights in a Boom Town," was released this year.
Alfalfa Bill
For purposes of Brandon Jenkins, "red dirt music" is music from the parts of Oklahoma which have red dirt, especially the city of Stillwater. It is country music mixed with some other genre, often classic rock, but perhaps honky-tonk, American, bluegrass or whatever. It is said that red dirt bands all sound different but they share the same attitude of freedom and independence.
MJ Emigh
2018-03-03 03:45:51 UTC
Ahhh, that sounds right.
MJ Emigh
2018-03-03 03:44:09 UTC
Red Dirt country genre (whatever that is)<
I think it means "Oklahoma." I'm not 100% positive, though. Last year I was in OK for the first time in my life and couldn't help notice the red dirt everywhere. A light bulb suddenly appeared over my head as I thought of musicians being referred to as Red Dirt guys or gals, and realized that they are from OK.
That Derek
2018-03-03 04:14:34 UTC
Thanks for the intel.