Star Trek Deaths in 2017, Part 1
2018-02-21 15:27:55 UTC
Sorry I'm so late this year, folks. I started writing this up in
December, and then promptly forgot about it until a few weeks ago. By
then it was difficult to find the time to work on it, and I also had
trouble confirming some of the deaths and dates of death. A bout with
bronchitis didn't help. Anyway, here it is.
With the latest TV series, STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, receiving widespread
acclaim and breaking records for CBS All Access, and with a second
season currently in development, it's clear that the STAR TREK franchise
is still boldly going at warp speed after half a century. (The saga
turned 50 in 2016, a fact which I have kicked myself for not mentioning
in last year's write-up.) As is unfortunately expected for a franchise
this old, each year brings the passing of many of the talented
individuals who helped keep the "ship" running, and 2017 was no
exception.
Below is a rundown of those contributors to the STAR TREK universe who
passed away in 2017. As always, the individuals profiled here are listed
alphabetically by last name.
ALAN BERGMANN (89); died August 31
Actor and director who played the Vian scientist Lal in the STAR TREK
original series episode "The Empath." He appeared on over two dozen
other TV series during the 1960s and '70s, including THE WILD WILD WEST,
THE BIG VALLEY, BONANZA, IRONSIDE, HOGAN'S HEROES, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE,
MANNIX, THE ROCKFORD FILES and THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN. He also had
roles in a handful of films during this period, including the
controversial drama BLACK LIKE ME (1964) and the CBS television movie
WELCOME HOME, JOHNNY BRISTOL (1972). He performed on Broadway as well,
most notably in Paddy Chayefsky's Tony-nominated play GIDEON in 1962. He
turned to directing in 1977 and over the next decade helmed episodes of
such shows as OPERATION PETTICOAT, BARNEY MILLER, FAMILY TIES, NIGHT
COURT and MR. BELVEDERE as well as the direct-to-video feature THE
HITCH-HIKERS (1989), starring Patty Duke and Richard Hatch. He briefly
returned to acting in the 1990s, appearing in an episode of SWAMP THING
and the feature film TURBULANCE (1997).
ALBERT BETTCHER (97); died December 21
Veteran camera operator whose credits included STAR TREK: THE MOTION
PICTURE (1979), one of many films on which he worked with
cinematographer Richard H. Kline. Bettcher began his career in 1948 in
the still lab at Columbia Pictures, where he worked for seven years
before breaking in as an assistant cameraman, fittingly beginning with
the photography-themed crime drama OVER-EXPOSED (1956). He worked with
then-camera operator Richard Kline on several films over the next few
years, including PAL JOEY (1957), BELL, BOOK AND CANDLE (1958) and THE
LAST ANGRY MAN (1959), and subsequently assisted on such films as PEPE
(1960), BYE BYE BIRDIE (1963) and STRAIT-JACKET (1964). Upon advancing
to camera operator, Bettcher shot the first 34 episodes of the classic
BATMAN series that debuted in 1966 and worked on the BATMAN theatrical
feature that was released later that year. He was then hired for Mike
Nichols' landmark film THE GRADUATE (1967), which proved to be a high
point in his career; it was Bettcher who pulled off the difficult and
memorable sequence where the camera "acts" as the film's central
character, Benjamin Braddock (Dustin Hoffman), as he walks out of his
parents' house in a wetsuit, diving mask and flippers, dives into a
pool, swims underwater and resurfaces, only to be pushed back into the
pool by his father. Those are Bettchers flippered feet we see during the
sequence, which cinematographer Bruce Surtees-the film's Director of
Photography (DP)-claimed Bettchers had to rehearse for two days. After
shooting 26 episodes of THE BILL COSBY SHOW and the Cosby movie MAN AND
BOY (1971), Bettcher was recruited by now-cinematographer/DP Richard
Kline for the 1972 action thriller THE MECHANIC, starring Charles
Bronson. Bettcher went on to be Kline's camera operator on 21 more
films, including BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES (1973), THE TERMINAL
MAN (1974), KING KONG (1976), THE FURY (1978), BODY HEAT (1981), ALL OF
ME (1984), HOWARD THE DUCK (1986), SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL (1987), MY
STEPMOTHER IS AN ALIEN (1988) and DOWNTOWN (1990). He was also notably a
camera operator on BLADE RUNNER (1982) for DP Jordan Cronenweth and
BRAINSTORM (1983) for DP Richard Yuricich and on TV shows such as THE
WALTONS and STEP BY STEP. Bettcher received a Lifetime Achievement Award
>from the Society of Camera Operators in 1990; he retired soon
thereafter.
JOE BILLINGIERE (68); died June 15
Actor who appeared as a background performer in multiple episodes of
STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE, often under heavy prosthetics. One such
appearance was as an Enolian prisoner in the episode "Canamar;" another
was as a Klingon in an as yet undetermined episode. Other TV shows on
which he has appeared include RENO 911!, EVERYBODY HATES CHRIS and DRUNK
HISTORY. He was also a stunt double in the Steven Seagal movies EXIT
WOUNDS (2001) and HALF PAST DEAD (2002) and had acting roles in a few
other films, including JONAH HEX (2010), YELLOW ROCK (2011) and JOHN
CARTER (2012).
Louis Epstein
2018-02-21 20:35:47 UTC
Kenny McCormack <***@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
> Sorry I'm so late this year, folks. I started writing this up in
> December, and then promptly forgot about it until a few weeks ago. By
> then it was difficult to find the time to work on it, and I also had
> trouble confirming some of the deaths and dates of death. A bout with
> bronchitis didn't help. Anyway, here it is.
> With the latest TV series, STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, receiving widespread
> acclaim and breaking records for CBS All Access, and with a second
> season currently in development, it's clear that the STAR TREK franchise
> is still boldly going at warp speed after half a century.

...and those of us who long to live into a time in which it
has been forgotten remain disappointed.

2018-02-21 20:38:45 UTC
In article <p6kl73$e0t$***@reader2.panix.com>,
Louis Epstein <***@top.put.com> wrote:
>Kenny McCormack <***@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
>> Sorry I'm so late this year, folks. I started writing this up in
>> December, and then promptly forgot about it until a few weeks ago. By
>> then it was difficult to find the time to work on it, and I also had
>> trouble confirming some of the deaths and dates of death. A bout with
>> bronchitis didn't help. Anyway, here it is.
>> With the latest TV series, STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, receiving widespread
>> acclaim and breaking records for CBS All Access, and with a second
>> season currently in development, it's clear that the STAR TREK franchise
>> is still boldly going at warp speed after half a century.
>
>...and those of us who long to live into a time in which it
>has been forgotten remain disappointed.

Can't please everyone.

Gotta please yourself.

--
"The party of Lincoln has become the party of John Wilkes Booth."

- Carlos Alazraqui -
David LaRue
2018-02-22 01:36:07 UTC
***@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) wrote in news:p6klcl$1cc$1
@news.xmission.com:

Thank you Kenny for posting this in parts so I could see it.
Kenny McCormack
2018-02-22 01:45:34 UTC
In article <***@46.165.242.75>,
David LaRue <***@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>***@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) wrote in news:p6klcl$1cc$1
>@news.xmission.com:
>
>> In article <p6kl73$e0t$***@reader2.panix.com>,
>> Louis Epstein <***@top.put.com> wrote:
>franchise
>>>
>>>...and those of us who long to live into a time in which it
>>>has been forgotten remain disappointed.
>>
>> Can't please everyone.
>>
>> Gotta please yourself.
>>

>Thank you Kenny for posting this in parts so I could see it.

You are welcome.

BTW, I noticed after posting it that I managed to lose the blank lines
between the paragraphs. I've since fixed the script to put them back; I
could post it again if needed.

http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/Voltaire
c***@aol.com
2018-02-22 05:11:47 UTC