Maryland teen shot at school by fellow student has died
Sarah Ehrett
2018-03-23 18:09:28 UTC
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/maryland-school-shooting-jaelynn-willey-teen-shot-by-austin-rollins-dead/

GREAT MILLS, Md. -- A teenage girl who was shot when a classmate
opened fire inside their Maryland high school has died, authorities
said Friday. The St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office said Jaelynn
Willey died at 11:34 p.m. Thursday. Earlier that night, her family
said she would be taken off life support at the University of Maryland
Prince George's Hospital Center. Melissa Willey told news reporters
Thursday night that her daughter was brain dead and had "no life left
in her."

The mother, holding a young baby, said, "On Tuesday ... our lives
changed completely and totally forever. My daughter was hurt by a boy
who shot her in the head and took everything from our lives."

The teen was shot Tuesday by 17-year-old Austin Rollins at Great Mills
High School in St. Mary's County.

Rollins died after shooting Willey. A school resource officer got
there within a minute and fired a shot at Rollins, but it's not yet
clear whether Rollins was killed by the officer's bullet or took his
own life.

The sheriff's office said Wednesday that Rollins and the girl had been
in a relationship that recently ended.

"All indications suggest the shooting was not a random act of
violence," police said in a statement.

Willey had been in critical condition at the hospital. A fundraising
page to help her family has raised more than $77,000.

Willey was one of nine siblings, her mother said, and a member of the
swim team.

The shooting broke out just before classes were to begin Tuesday,
according to the sheriff's office.

A 14-year-old boy who was shot in the thigh during the encounter was
released Wednesday from a hospital.

In an email Thursday to The Associated Press, his mother, Kimberly
Dennis, said her family is "eternally grateful" that her son, Desmond
Barnes, is "alive, doing well and in good spirits."

She expressed sympathy for Willey and her family and added, "We are
also praying for the entire Great Mills High School family and young
people around this country. As a community and nation, we must
continue to work and fight for a world that is safe for our children."

Great Mills High School has about 1,600 students and is near the
Patuxent River Naval Air Station, about 65 miles southeast of
Washington.

Sheriff Tim Cameron credited Deputy First Class Blaine Gaskill with
preventing any more loss of life.

Cameron said Gaskill, a six-year veteran with SWAT team training,
responded within a minute and fired his weapon simultaneously with a
final shot fired by Rollins. The officer was unharmed.

On Wednesday, authorities said the Glock handgun used in the shooting
was legally owned by Rollins' father. In Maryland it is illegal for
anyone under age 21 to possess a handgun unless it is required for
their employment.
.
© 2018 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may
not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Meteorite Debris
2018-03-23 22:54:54 UTC
Post by Sarah Ehrett
[...]
If only students could carry guns into schools. Wait a minute that
happened.