Ray Thomas, Moody Blues Flautist and Founding Member, Dead at 76
2018-01-07 18:51:03 UTC
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ray-thomas-moody-blues-flautist-and-founder-dead-at-76-w515092
Ray Thomas, Moody Blues Flautist and Founding Member, Dead at 76
Multi-instrumentalist contributed to all of Rock Hall-inducted prog rock band's albums until 2002 retirement
By Daniel Kreps
1 hour ago

Ray Thomas, flautist, vocalist and founding member of the Moody Blues, died Thursday at the age of 76.

Thomas' label Esoteric Recordings/Cherry Red Records confirmed the multi-instrumentalist's death on Facebook, adding that Thomas died suddenly at his home in Surrey, England. No cause of death was announced.

"We are deeply shocked by his passing and will miss his warmth, humour and kindness," the label wrote. "It was a privilege to have known and worked with him and our thoughts are with his family and his wife Lee at this sad time."

Moody Blues bassist John Lodge tweeted Sunday, "Ray and I have been on this magical journey through life together since we were 14... two young kids from Birmingham who reached for the stars...and we made it together. El Riot you will always be by my side." Thomas and Lodge played together in their band El Riot and the Rebels in the early Sixties.

In 1964, after El Riot split, Thomas and keyboardist Mike Pinder formed the Moody Blues alongside drummer Graeme Edge, bassist Clint Warwick and guitarist Denny Laine. That lineup would release the hit "Go Now" and the 1965 LP The Magnificent Moodies, which featured Thomas on lead vocals for the Gershwin cover "It Ain't Necessarily So."

The Moody Blues would soon replace Laine with Justin Hayward and Warwick with Thomas' El Riot band mate Lodge to form the band's classic lineup. As flautist, multi-instrumentalist and singer in the Moody Blues, Thomas appeared on all of the prog rock band's albums – including their classic LPs like Days of Future Passed, In Search of the Lost Chord, A Question of Balance and Every Good Boy Deserves Favour – until his retirement in 2002.

Thomas also wrote and sang Moody Blues tracks like "Twilight Time," "Legend of the Mind," "Dr. Livingstone, I Presume," "Dear Diary" and "And the Tide Rushes In." In addition to his time with the Moody Blues, Thomas also released a pair of solo albums, 1975's From Mighty Oaks and 1976's Hopes, Wishes and Dreams, while the group went on hiatus in the mid-Seventies.

Thomas retired from the Moody Blues in 2002 after suffering from a series of health issues. In 2013, Thomas revealed that he was suffering from "in-operable" prostate cancer. "The cancer is being held in remission but I'll be receiving this treatment for the rest of my life," Thomas wrote on his website.

In December, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced that the Moody Blues' classic lineup – Thomas, Hayward, Edge, Lodge and Pinder – would be inducted as part of the Class of 2018; Laine was subsequently added to the band's Rock Hall roster days later.

Following the announcement, Lodge said in an interview that he was hopeful that both Thomas and Pinder – who left the band in 1978 – would return for the induction ceremony. "If it works, it will be fantastic because it’s a natural thing to do. I’m not trying to force it – it’ll be because it’s supposed to be," Lodge said. "They’ve been an integral part of my life. You can’t dismiss that. It’s locked in there." Hayward also told Rolling Stone he would be open to a reunion of the Moody Blues' classic lineup.

© Rolling Stone 2018
Michael OConnor
2018-01-07 20:03:32 UTC
I always loved the Moody Blues. Days of Future Passed was one of the ten best albums of the 60's, IMO. "Tuesday Afternoon" was the piece where Ray Thomas' flute work is most prominent. Here is a live performance from 1969 of the Blues performing "Tuesday Afternoon", unfortunately, it is a shortenend version which cuts off the long instrumental at the end:

Here is the version which appeared on the album with the longer instrumental at the end:

d***@gmail.com
2018-01-07 20:59:55 UTC
AngloSaxon
2018-01-08 03:19:22 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
I always loved the Moody Blues. Days of Future Passed was one of the ten
best albums of the 60's, IMO. "Tuesday Afternoon" was the piece where Ray
Thomas' flute work is most prominent. Here is a live performance from 1969
of the Blues performing "Tuesday Afternoon", unfortunately, it is a
Post by Michael OConnor
http://youtu.be/i7_tO5TgCnE
http://youtu.be/wM8JjT-97i8
It's going to be a long, hard slog seeing these men die away... so much of
our lives are woven directly into the greatest music of all time. R.I.P.
I know it's destiny, but still. As I get up there myself, I continue to be
amazed that all that grand music, all those gifted people - I took it all
for granted. Hop in the car, flip on the radio and head off to a party where
the Pioneers were blasting away to whatever you wanted. "Tuesday Afternoon".
Part of my DNA. Thanks for the links, Michael.
Congoleum Breckenridge
2018-01-07 23:26:49 UTC
Post by Diner
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ray-thomas-moody-blues-flautist-and-founder-dead-at-76-w515092
Ray Thomas, Moody Blues Flautist and Founding Member, Dead at 76
Multi-instrumentalist contributed to all of Rock Hall-inducted prog rock band's albums until 2002 retirement
By Daniel Kreps
He's tripping with Timothy Leary now.

d***@gmail.com
2018-01-09 16:56:52 UTC
He's tripping w Timothy Leary now.
http://youtu.be/uDuRV2wNGFM

"Timothy Leary's dead
No, no, he's outside looking in
Timothy Leary's dead
No, no, he's outside looking in…"

The brain automatically takes you there.
d***@gmail.com
2018-01-09 16:59:52 UTC
Timothy Leary's dead
No, no, he's outside looking in
Timothy Leary's dead
No, no, he's outside looking in
He'll fly his astral plane
Takes you trips around the bay
Brings you back the same day
Timothy Leary, Timothy Leary
Timothy Leary's dead
No, no, he's outside looking in
Timothy Leary's dead
No, no, he's outside looking in
He'll fly his astral plane
Takes you trips around the bay
Brings you back the same day
Timothy Leary, Timothy Leary
Along the coast you'll hear them boast
About a light they say that shines so clear
So raise your glass, we'll drink a toast
To the little man who sells you thrills along the pier
He'll take you up, he'll bring you down
He'll plant your feet back firmly on the ground
He flies so high, he swoops so low
He knows exactly which way he's gonna go
Timothy Leary, Timothy Leary
He'll take you up, he'll bring you down
He'll plant your feet back on the ground
He'll fly so high, he'll swoop so low
Timothy Leary
He'll fly his astral plane
He'll take you trips around the bay
He'll bring you back the same day

Jason
2018-01-08 12:44:26 UTC
Why isn't this death getting any media coverage? Never trended on Twitter, no mention on any national newscasts. The Moody Blues aren't exactly a garage band from Podunk, ya know!
Bermuda999
2018-01-09 13:26:39 UTC
LA Times, Washington Post, the Gaurdian, Billboard, Rolling Stone, The Daily Telegraph, BBC, and Celeb Stoner all heeded (or pre-heeded) your call