DEATHWATCH:Radio Shack Stores
2017-12-27 22:04:10 UTC
My local Radio Shack shuts down Friday and they say
they will be among the very last to close,though the
website will remain operational.

2017-12-28 02:29:35 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
My local Radio Shack shuts down Friday and they say
they will be among the very last to close,though the
website will remain operational.
All the locations in the Phoenix area closed a few months ago....

It remains to be seen whether the website constitutes "survival"...I've
seen that with Tower Records, Comp USA, and even S&H Green Stamps, and
it's never enough....r
Terry del Fuego
2017-12-28 13:54:17 UTC
Post by RH Draney
It remains to be seen whether the website constitutes "survival"...I've
seen that with Tower Records, Comp USA, and even S&H Green Stamps, and
it's never enough....r
I can't speak to the other companies, but the online Tower is (was?)
just a Canadian company that bought the name. Tower's mail-order
business used to be run out of West Sacramento and when it was sold
the employees got the usual pep talk about how nothing would change.
100% predictably, they were all laid off within days.
Topic Cop
2017-12-28 03:46:07 UTC
I haven't seen one in So Cal in years. Surprised to hear there were some locations still open.
Larc
2017-12-28 13:42:03 UTC
On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 22:04:10 +0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein <***@top.put.com> wrote:

| My local Radio Shack shuts down Friday and they say
| they will be among the very last to close,though the
| website will remain operational.

They priced themselves out of business while online companies such as Amazon and
Newegg were offering bargains.

Larc
Louis Epstein
2017-12-28 15:38:35 UTC
Post by Larc
| My local Radio Shack shuts down Friday and they say
| they will be among the very last to close,though the
| website will remain operational.
They priced themselves out of business while online companies such as Amazon and
Newegg were offering bargains.
Larc
Here they've been running a storewide clearance sale for months,with discounts ramped
up to "up to 70% off"...but yesterday I saw that banner had been replaced by one
saying "store closing" and "last 3 days"...discount now up to 80% and the drawers of
components on bulk offers like 100 items for $75.
I bought a few things.

2017-12-28 16:05:22 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Here they've been running a storewide clearance sale for months,with discounts ramped
up to "up to 70% off"...but yesterday I saw that banner had been replaced by one
saying "store closing" and "last 3 days"...discount now up to 80% and the drawers of
components on bulk offers like 100 items for $75.
I bought a few things.
The local ones here in Greenville closed last year.

I thought their fate was sealed back in about 1984 when they failed to branch out into CD's when they hit the market and got into selling TV's and audio systems and VCR's that were not just their own brands, and they would have been perfectly set for when DVD's hit the market in the late 90's. They were a big enough name that they should have grown into what became Best Buy and Circuit City while still selling electronics parts. That was an untapped market that was theirs to take and they failed to grab it.
Terry del Fuego
2017-12-29 02:51:43 UTC
On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 08:05:22 -0800 (PST), Michael OConnor
Post by Michael OConnor
They were a big enough name that they should have grown into
what became Best Buy and Circuit City while still selling electronics
parts. That was an untapped market that was theirs to take and they
failed to grab it.
If Tandy = Radio Shack, they tried.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incredible_Universe

The building near me, now a Fry's, was exactly what you're talking
about.

Fry's, while not connected to Radio Shack, took the same ethics
classes. If you buy a defective product from them and return it, they
will prepare it for resale right in front of you.
David Carson
2017-12-29 16:33:21 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
They were a big enough name that they should have grown into
what became Best Buy and Circuit City while still selling electronics
parts. That was an untapped market that was theirs to take and they
failed to grab it.
If Tandy = Radio Shack, they tried.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incredible_Universe
Tandy also tried with Computer City.

Sarah Ehrett
2017-12-28 22:47:35 UTC
Post by Larc
| My local Radio Shack shuts down Friday and they say
| they will be among the very last to close,though the
| website will remain operational.
They priced themselves out of business while online companies such as Amazon and
Newegg were offering bargains.
Larc
My Radio Shack went down the tubes ~ 10 years ago when they lost their
business plan and started selling more cell phones and RC controlled
toys than anything else. They lost the "radio" in Radio Shack. Of
course they're closed now. I can't remember buying more than a few
batteries from them in recent years.