King Michael I of Romania, 96
2017-12-05 12:49:02 UTC
Romania's former King Michael I dies at 96

King Michael I was diagnosed with cancer last year

Romania's former King Michael I has died in Switzerland at the age of
96, officials say.

He was diagnosed with cancer last year. King Michael ruled Romania
twice: first in the 1920s, when he was just five years old, and then
again in the 1940s. He was one of the last people alive to have served
as a head of state during World War Two.

After the conflict, he was forced to abdicate by the country's
communists, who ruled until the revolution of 1989.

In a BBC interview in 2011, the former monarch described how the
authorities had blackmailed him: "If you don't sign this thing now,
we're going to have to shoot or kill 1,000 people that are already in
prison."

He went into exile until the 1990s when he returned to Romania after
the fall of the country's communist leader, Nicolae Ceaucescu.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42234880
Diner
2017-12-05 13:57:54 UTC
Post by A Friend
He was one of the last people alive to have served
as a head of state during World War Two.
Okay, I give up: if he's ONE of the last, then who else is alive who served as a head of state during World War II?

I just checked http://gerontology.wikia.com/wiki/Oldest_Living_State_Leaders , and unless I accidentally skipped over a name, I don't see anyone else living who served as a head of state before 1952.

Also, who writes out World War II as "World War Two"?
Louis Epstein
2017-12-05 16:47:30 UTC
Post by Diner
Post by A Friend
He was one of the last people alive to have served
as a head of state during World War Two.
Okay, I give up: if he's ONE of the last, then who else is alive who served as a head of state during World War II?
I just checked
http://gerontology.wikia.com/wiki/Oldest_Living_State_Leaders , and
unless I accidentally skipped over a name, I don't see anyone else
living who served as a head of state before 1952.
Simeon of Bulgaria,who acceded as a child in 1943,
is not yet old enough for that list.
Post by Diner
Also, who writes out World War II as "World War Two"?
Do you want people saying "World War Eye Eye"?

That's not what blackmail is.
Louis Epstein
2017-12-05 16:44:28 UTC
Post by David Carson
Post by A Friend
After the conflict, he was forced to abdicate by the country's
communists, who ruled until the revolution of 1989.
In a BBC interview in 2011, the former monarch described how the
authorities had blackmailed him: "If you don't sign this thing now,
we're going to have to shoot or kill 1,000 people that are already in
prison."
That's not what blackmail is.
He was also invited to look out the window at a rocket launcher that would
be used on the room he was in,and the prime minister,after Michael had
signed,indicated he'd been carrying a handgun.

Do you prefer extortion or duress?

2017-12-05 16:57:43 UTC
Something to ponder:

Why was Michael known a "Michael the First" with that Roman numeral "I"? Was there another "Michael" already in the wings? Do the Romanians do something different akin to Swedish kings whose employ an alternative format which involves putting the Roman numeral between two names?

Traditionally, monarchs (and popes, for that matter) are not known as "the First" until "the Second" comes along.

When Pope Francis was elected, he chose a name that was never used before. We aren't calling him "Francis the First."

I thought it would have been cool had Francis gone through the calendar of popes and chose a name that had only been used once before=, such as Peter, Linus, or Hilarius. That would mean somebody would have to go through the histories and place a Roman numeral "I" next to the pre-existing single-name pope.

BTW, given the gravitas that Saint Peter, first pope, carries, does that mean his name is off-limits and that the name has been effectively retired"?

Youth wants to know.
c***@aol.com
2017-12-05 20:16:05 UTC
King Michael was the last surviving head of state during WW2. Period.
David Carson
2017-12-05 20:27:39 UTC
On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 08:57:43 -0800 (PST), That Derek
Post by That Derek
I thought it would have been cool had Francis gone through the calendar of popes and chose a name that had only been used once before=, such as Peter, Linus, or Hilarius. That would mean somebody would have to go through the histories and place a Roman numeral "I" next to the pre-existing single-name pope.
That's probably why he didn't do it. This way is cheaper.
Wait till there's a Mexican pope and he chooses to go by "Pope Jesus."
Louis Epstein
2017-12-05 23:29:47 UTC
Why was Michael known a "Michael the First" with that Roman numeral
"I"? Was there another "Michael" already in the wings? Do the Romanians
do something different akin to Swedish kings whose employ an alternative
format which involves putting the Roman numeral between two names?
Traditionally, monarchs (and popes, for that matter) are not known as
"the First" until "the Second" comes along.
However,John Paul I specifically said he would be known as
"John Paul the First" rather than be numbered among the
Johns or Pauls who had preceded him.
Post by That Derek
When Pope Francis was elected, he chose a name that was never used
before. We aren't calling him "Francis the First."
I thought it would have been cool had Francis gone through the calendar of popes and chose a name that had only been used once before=, such as Peter, Linus, or Hilarius. That would mean somebody would have to go through the histories and place a Roman numeral "I" next to the pre-existing single-name pope.
BTW, given the gravitas that Saint Peter, first pope, carries, does
that mean his name is off-limits and that the name has been effectively
retired"?
Youth wants to know.
The "prophecies of St. Malachy" allege a Peter II would be the last pope
(but Francis is the pope who would correspond to that prophecy).