Nicky James, 64, early member of The Moody Blues dies
wazzzy
2007-10-15 17:55:38 UTC
http://www.expressandstar.com/2007/10/12/tributes-to-moody-star-nicky/

Black Country-born sixties pop star Nicky James, who shot to fame with
The Moody Blues, has died aged 64.

Nicky, from Tipton, worked with some of the big names of his day
including Denny Laine, Roy Wood, Bev Bevan, Carl Wayne, Mike Pinder,
Scott Walker, Tom Jones and Graham Nash.

He had been suffering from a brain tumour and died on Monday morning.

He was born Mick Nicholls in April 1943 and attended Park Lane School
in Tipton.

Today his family paid tribute, saying he was a real character and was
always cracking jokes. Nicky would joke he got his voice by drinking
eye drops as a young boy.

He lived most of his young life in Tipton until the age of 16 when he
went to Scarborough with his father. However, he would make trips back
to Tipton to see his mother Gladys.

His sister Pat Coates, who lives in Coseley, said today: "He was a
real character. We were very proud when he made his first record. He
later moved back to Wiltshire but he always came back to see his
mother in Shrubbery Avenue, Tipton. That was where it all started
really. He was a lovable rogue."

Denny Laine, of Denny and The Diplomats, hired Nicky in the early
1960s after he sang a few songs with the band. Nicky then joined Ronny
and The Senators.

The Moody Blues, after being signed to Decca Records, enjoyed
worldwide fame by the end of 1964 with their recording of Go Now
climbing to number one.

Nicky leaves wife Martine and children Sami and Louis.
La N
2007-10-15 18:45:41 UTC
Post by wazzzy
http://www.expressandstar.com/2007/10/12/tributes-to-moody-star-nicky/
Black Country-born sixties pop star Nicky James, who shot to fame with
The Moody Blues, has died aged 64.
:^(

- nilita, Moody Blues fan from way back .....

"Between the silence of the mountains
And the crashing of the sea
There lies a land I once lived in
And she's waiting there for me
But in the grey of the morning
My mind becomes confused
Between the dead and the sleeping
And the road that I must choose"
La N

- n.
Richard
2007-10-16 14:57:39 UTC
Post by La N
Post by wazzzy
Black Country-born sixties pop star Nicky James, who shot to fame with
The Moody Blues, has died aged 64.
- nilita, Moody Blues fan from way back .....
i tried since high school and still can't get into them...then again,
poetry has never been my strong category on 'jeopardy'.
R H Draney
2007-10-16 15:46:14 UTC
Post by Richard
Post by La N
- nilita, Moody Blues fan from way back .....
i tried since high school and still can't get into them...then again,
poetry has never been my strong category on 'jeopardy'.
Am I the only one who wants the spoken verse in "Nights in White Satin" to
include the lines "romper stomper bomper boo/tell me, tell me, tell me do"?...r
Lindsay Lohan died for your sins.
La N
2007-10-16 19:19:32 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Post by Richard
Post by La N
- nilita, Moody Blues fan from way back .....
i tried since high school and still can't get into them...then again,
poetry has never been my strong category on 'jeopardy'.
Am I the only one who wants the spoken verse in "Nights in White Satin" to
include the lines "romper stomper bomper boo/tell me, tell me, tell me do"?...r
I believe that one of the legacies of the Moody Blues was the panaply of
often hilarious misheard lyrics.

Fer instance, from one of my favourites, The Question ... someone once wrote
they thought "To learn as we grow old,
The secrets of our souls" was "To learn as we grow old, The secrets of
arseholes."

- nilita
Brian Watson
2007-10-16 19:55:18 UTC
Post by Richard
Post by La N
Post by wazzzy
Black Country-born sixties pop star Nicky James, who shot to fame with
The Moody Blues, has died aged 64.
- nilita, Moody Blues fan from way back .....
i tried since high school and still can't get into them...then again,
poetry has never been my strong category on 'jeopardy'.
Everything after "Go Now" struck me as pretentious crap.
--
Brian
R H Draney
2007-10-16 23:41:40 UTC
Post by Brian Watson
Everything after "Go Now" struck me as pretentious crap.
I got to do my favorite Moody Blues joke in a used record store
recently...bringing in a bunch of stuff for resale, I noticed a copy of the "Go
Now" album atop a stack of LPs that someone else had brought in....

I held it up and said "hey, look at this! Denny Laine was in another band
before Wings!"...r
Lindsay Lohan died for your sins.
La N
2007-10-17 00:45:18 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Post by Brian Watson
Everything after "Go Now" struck me as pretentious crap.
I got to do my favorite Moody Blues joke in a used record store
recently...bringing in a bunch of stuff for resale, I noticed a copy of the "Go
Now" album atop a stack of LPs that someone else had brought in....
I held it up and said "hey, look at this! Denny Laine was in another band
before Wings!"...r
In fact, I saw Denny Laine singing "Go Now" on a PBS special a few months
bringing back the stars of the British Invasion era, all looking a bit
longer in the tooth needless to say. That special made me feel all ooshy
nostalgic and remembering how much I loved that song.

Anyway, here's how he looked at the Las Vegas Beatle Fest this summer
singing the ballad in question:

- nilita, feeling sappy and tearful ... sniff ....
Brian Watson
2007-10-17 08:22:22 UTC
Post by La N
Post by R H Draney
I held it up and said "hey, look at this! Denny Laine was in another band
before Wings!"...r
In fact, I saw Denny Laine singing "Go Now" on a PBS special a few months
bringing back the stars of the British Invasion era, all looking a bit
longer in the tooth needless to say. That special made me feel all ooshy
nostalgic and remembering how much I loved that song.
Anyway, here's how he looked at the Las Vegas Beatle Fest this summer
I thought he had a big falling out with Paul following certain blabbings to
the media after he left Wings?
--
Brian
Arthur Preacher
2007-10-26 13:07:12 UTC
Post by Brian Watson
Post by La N
Post by R H Draney
I held it up and said "hey, look at this! Denny Laine was in another band
before Wings!"...r
In fact, I saw Denny Laine singing "Go Now" on a PBS special a few months
bringing back the stars of the British Invasion era, all looking a bit
longer in the tooth needless to say. That special made me feel all ooshy
nostalgic and remembering how much I loved that song.
Anyway, here's how he looked at the Las Vegas Beatle Fest this summer
I thought he had a big falling out with Paul following certain blabbings to
the media after he left Wings?
Like a baseball player that doesn't know when to quit, until he can't
get anybody out, the Moodies fall in that category! After Seventh
Sojourn it should've been bye-bye. But NO...they had to become a
laughing stock of grizzled old men embarrassing themselves in front of
audiences trying to capture their lost youth.

The magic was gone as well as the song-writing abilities, but they
kept going, discrediting themselves to their loyal fans. On the other
hand, what else were they going to do, teaching, gardening?

It's just pathetic what happens to again rock stars, even the Moody
Blues. Nicky James, never had a chance. At least he can say he was
never with the Silver Beatles, that would've really hurt.
Father Haskell
Mellotron is the coolest instrument since the Fender Strat.
La N
2007-10-17 19:43:36 UTC
Post by Father Haskell
Post by Richard
Post by La N
Post by wazzzy
Black Country-born sixties pop star Nicky James, who shot to fame with
The Moody Blues, has died aged 64.
- nilita, Moody Blues fan from way back .....
i tried since high school and still can't get into them...then again,
poetry has never been my strong category on 'jeopardy'.
Mellotron is the coolest instrument since the Fender Strat.
Yes. And whatever combination of instrumentation that once created the
"wall of sound" technique.

IMHO

- nilita
b***@gmail.com
2007-10-16 00:08:56 UTC
Post by wazzzy
http://www.expressandstar.com/2007/10/12/tributes-to-moody-star-nicky/
Black Country-born sixties pop star Nicky James, who shot to fame with
The Moody Blues, has died aged 64.
Actually, he never got the chance to shoot to fame with them... he
quit the group before they adopted the "Moody Blues" name and started
making hits. He did, however, remain friends with the band, and co-
wrote all the songs on a 1970s solo album by band member Ray Thomas.

Here's a summary of his career from the home page of his website,
nickyjamesmusic.com, with a copyright date of 2005:

"Nicky James was one of the foremost singer songwriters of the 1960s &
70s when he worked with a who's who of well known personalities and
helped to forge some of the greatest ever musical partnerships.

Once upon a time there was a young Birmingham musician called Nicky
James who played in a band called The Moody Blues Five. One day he
decided to leave. The band shortened their name to the Moody Blues and
two months later had their first hit 'Go Now'.

Undeterred Nicky formed a new band. This time it was called the Nicky
James Movement. Once again he left. The band shortened their name to
the Move and two months later had their first hit 'Night Of Fear'.
Nicky James, you might imagine would have become disillusioned and is
now a successful motorway sub-contractor, or perhaps a big name in
second hand cars.

Not a bit of it. Nicky James remained a force to be reckoned within
the flourishing music scene of the 60s and 70s and beyond. And now at
the start of the 21st century, Nicky is working in the industry and is
set to relaunch a career that dates back to the early rock scene in
Birmingham during the late 50s."
Brian Watson
2007-10-16 07:56:06 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by wazzzy
[...]
Oh dear.

I hope the guy was happy with what he DID do.
--
Brian
g***@tiscali.co.uk
2007-10-26 12:24:09 UTC
Post by wazzzy
[...]
this is nicky brother gary clifford nicholls from Scunthorpe, just a
line about the fact that nicky came to live in SCUNTHORPE & not
SCARBOROUGH when he was 16 and nickys father married my mum & had
myself & my elder brother john. We both went to the funeral with our
families, & both are sad for Martine,sami, louis
La N
2007-10-26 14:04:22 UTC
Post by g***@tiscali.co.uk
Post by wazzzy
[...]
I notice that with some frequency lately relatives of the deceased will show
up on a.o. and post their own commentary. I think that's pretty neat. My
condolences to Nicky's family.

- nilita
Bill Schenley
2007-10-27 19:10:35 UTC
Post by La N
I notice that with some frequency lately relatives of the deceased will
show up on a.o. and post their own commentary. I think that's pretty
neat. My condolences to Nicky's family.
It has happened a few times over the years ... but in the last few months
... it's often been one or two trolls *claiming* to be related. It has
become very popular for *friends and relatives* to appear on AO since the
idiot kid in eastern Pennsylvania rented a handgun and shot himself.
La N
2007-10-27 21:11:05 UTC
Post by Bill Schenley
Post by La N
I notice that with some frequency lately relatives of the deceased will
show up on a.o. and post their own commentary. I think that's pretty
neat. My condolences to Nicky's family.
It has happened a few times over the years ... but in the last few months
... it's often been one or two trolls *claiming* to be related. It has
become very popular for *friends and relatives* to appear on AO since the
idiot kid in eastern Pennsylvania rented a handgun and shot himself.
That's too bad.

Now, how do you know to whom to offer condolences and to whom you say, "Get
lost, you *&#*XJ troll!"

As for me, I tend to err on behalf of extending my sympathy. I'd feel like
sh*t if I added to the bereaved one's pain.

- nilita
p***@gmail.com
very
p***@gmail.com