James Jeffrey Plewman, a/k/a Nash the Slash (May 10, 2014)
2018-08-24 23:10:28 UTC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_the_Slash

I don't imagine all that many people will know who this guy was. He's
obscure enough that even though I'm a casual fan I had no idea that
he's been dead for more than four years. If the Google Groups search
function is working properly, he's never been mentioned here.

30+ years ago I went to an Iggy Pop show in a small club and Nash the
Slash, whom I'd previously only "known" as a random name buried in the
final fade-out of Iggy's "Eggs on Plate", opened. I had absolutely no
idea what to expect but wound up gettting a guy completely wrapped in
bandages on stage alone singing and playing an electrified violin
accompanied by a backing tape. It was weird and loud and interesting
and fun but, musically speaking, not as Out There as one might expect
from the description.

This morning I was digitizing one his 12" singles and got curious
about what he's up to these days. Turns out, not much.

More than I ever knew about him is in the Wikipedia article linked
above. It came as a surprise to me that he was a founding member of
FM, a band whose name I certainly remember from the 1970s but whose
music is not stuck in my head. Maybe it's time to track some down.
Dave Garrett
2018-08-25 01:41:54 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>,
***@hotmail.com says...

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_the_Slash
>
> I don't imagine all that many people will know who this guy was. He's
> obscure enough that even though I'm a casual fan I had no idea that
> he's been dead for more than four years. If the Google Groups search
> function is working properly, he's never been mentioned here.

I remember seeing an obit when he died. I want to say that it was here,
but it's entirely possible that it was on another forum as there are a
couple of music-oriented ones that I'm a regular on.

Dave
b***@gmail.com
2018-08-25 02:14:38 UTC
Yes it's true. Most of his popularity was in Canada where I am. I had the fortune to speak with him on the phone when I was in college radio and our station was supporting one of his albums. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy but obviously had his demons (his death was ultimately ruled a suicide).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/nash-the-slash-a-k-a-jeff-plewman-dead-at-66-1.2640133

Terry del Fuego
2018-08-25 16:03:51 UTC
On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 19:14:38 -0700 (PDT), ***@gmail.com wrote:

>Yes it's true. Most of his popularity was in Canada where I am.
>had the fortune to speak with him on the phone when I was in
>college radio and our station was supporting one of his albums.
>Seemed like a genuinely nice guy but obviously had his demons
>(his death was ultimately ruled a suicide).

Yikes, thanks for the information. I plan to track down more of his
stuff. I have a cassette I made from a friend's copy of "And You
Thought You Were Normal" many, many years ago. Used to listen to it
all the time at work, but then CDs came along and cassettes got
neglected pretty much overnight.

So yesterday I used Tidal to play that album again, making it very
likely the first time I've heard it in over 30 years. It's utterly
brilliant. 30 years of absorbing more music made me appreciate what's
going on in there more than ever. It's sorta like King Crimson had "I
Feel You"-era Depeche Mode's baby and the nanny was 60s protest music
that suddenly decided it liked disco.
Aje RavenStar
2018-08-25 04:48:00 UTC
On 8/24/2018 6:10 PM, Terry del Fuego wrote:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_the_Slash
>
> I don't imagine all that many people will know who this guy was. He's
> obscure enough that even though I'm a casual fan I had no idea that
> he's been dead for more than four years. If the Google Groups search
> function is working properly, he's never been mentioned here.

I was aware of him, as he made cameo appearances in a story or two in
Heavy Metal Magazine back in the day.
Guilty Bastard
2018-08-25 19:51:12 UTC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWqFFbmbQqY
Guilty Bastard
2018-08-25 20:10:33 UTC
Almost forgot...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SO8x_j-4Iw
Terry del Fuego
2018-08-26 03:35:48 UTC
On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 17:10:33 -0300, Guilty Bastard
<***@getaway.car> wrote:

>Almost forgot...
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SO8x_j-4Iw

OK, that's really familiar, but I can't mentally tie it to any
particular era or radio station or place I was living or any of the
other usual memories that songs trigger. I like it though, and thank
you for posting it.