Director Robert Day dies at 94
CDH
2017-03-21 03:15:33 UTC
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thetimes-uk/obituary.aspx?n=Robert-Frederick-DAY&pid=184587850

DAY Robert Frederick, British film director, passed away on 17th March 2017, aged 94, on Bainbridge Island, Seattle, USA. Known in the UK for his early films The Green Man, Two Way Stretch and The Rebel, and later for TV series. He leaves to mourn his passing, his son Rob, his daughter Roberta and his grandsons, Nicholas and Philip Simons.
That Derek
2017-03-21 15:27:40 UTC
According to this feller's IMdB page

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0206560/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

he seemed to have a lot more impressive credits than what obituary lets on. Several episodes of "The FBI," 'The Avengers," :Bracken's Wor;d"; "The Name of the Game"; "The Invaders," The Streets of San Francisco"; single shots at "Kojak," "Tarzan," "Barnaby Jones," "McCloud," "Dallsa"; several 60s "Tarzan" movies"; TV movies with familiar title's like "The Quick and the Dead" and "The Grass Is Always Greener over the Septic Tank." It seems Mr. Day's TV work is more recognizable than the low budget movies listed in the notice.

Yes, paid obituaries are very expensive ad including all viable credits would prove costly for an otherwise preoccupied grieving family. However, the reader gets the impression that his family subscribed to the outdated notion that silver screen credits are much more prestigious than those originating on the cathode-ray tube.
Diner
Robert Day was the husband of actress Dorothy Provine (1935-2010), best remembered for "The Roaring 20's" and "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World."
MJ Emigh
2017-03-21 21:52:27 UTC
On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 10:27:43 AM UTC-5, That Derek wrote:
the reader gets the impression that his family subscribed to the outdated notion that silver screen credits are much more prestigious than those originating on the cathode-ray tube.

Considering his active years, that is likely true. Although some of his work goes into the 70s, when attitudes were changing, most of it was in the time when TV was seen as gutter level.

A few days ago I saw an old interview of Earnest Borgnine in which he talks about everyone discouraging him from doing "McHale" because it was.....TV (you need to say TV with your nose scrunched up for proper effect). Naturally, that's what brought him his greatest fame.
That Derek
2017-03-21 18:46:38 UTC
AND "The 30 Foot Bride of Candy Rock" where Ms. Provine played opposite Lou Costello.
That Derek
2017-03-21 23:22:11 UTC
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/robert-day-dead-director-peter-sellers-two-way-stretch-tarzan-movies-was-94-987720

Robert Day, Director of Peter Sellers' 'Two-Way Stretch' and Four Tarzan Movies, Dies at 94

11:55 AM PDT 3/21/2017
by Mike Barnes

He also helmed films starring Boris Karloff and Ursula Andress and was married to Dorothy Provine.

Robert Day, the veteran British director who in the 1960s worked on five Tarzan movies and guided Peter Sellers in the delicious comedy Two-Way Stretch, has died. He was 94.

Day, who also helmed two Boris Karloff horror flicks, died Friday on Bainbridge Island in Washington state, his family announced. He worked in the U.S. starting in the 1970s and retired in 1991.

Day was married to bubbly American actress and dancer Dorothy Provine (TV's The Roaring 20's, That Darn Cat!) from 1969 until her death in 2010.

Day directed Gordon Scott as the King of the Jungle in Tarzan the Magnificent (1960), Jock Mahoney in Tarzan's Three Challenges (1963) and Mike Henry in Tarzan and the Valley of Gold (1966) and Tarzan and the Great River (1967). He worked with Henry again as a producer on Tarzan and the Jungle Boy (1968).

In a 2012 interview with James Rosin, Day said that he suffered a broken neck while showing Mahoney how to work with a rope in Tarzan's Three Challenges but somehow managed to finish the movie.

On Two-Way Stretch (1960) — a comedy about prisoners who escape jail, commit a robbery and then break back into jail — Sellers sent Day into a state of panic when he walked off the picture halfway through filming.

"I couldn’t believe it but kept on working, shooting around him as best I could," he recalled. "Once I finished doing that, I didn’t know what to do. I was really beside myself because I had so much left to shoot with him. Well, after about a week or 10 days, the producers and executives of the company financing the film finally persuaded Peter to return and finish the movie.

"As a result, Two-Way Stretch was a huge box-office hit and made a ton of money. However, getting to the finish line wasn’t easy."

Day directed Karloff in a pair of 1958 releases, The Haunted Strangler and Corridors of Blood. He called the horror icon "a very kind and gracious gentleman, quite the antithesis of the menacing characters he portrayed on screen."

Day's film résumé also includes Bobbikins (1959), starring Shirley Jones, The Rebel (1961) and Operation Snatch (1962) with George Sanders and Ursula Andress' She (1965).

Born in Sheen, England, Day began as a clapper and then a camera operator in his home country, working for such directors as Michael Anderson, Carol Reed and Guy Hamilton and on films including Paratrooper (1953), starring Alan Ladd, and An Inspector Calls (1954), with Alastair Sim.

Day launched his directorial career with the black comedy The Green Man (1956), also starring Sim, then helmed episodes of such British TV series as The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Buccaneers and The Avengers.

In the U.S., Day worked on series including The F.B.I., The Bold Ones, Ironside, Bracken's World, The Streets of San Francisco, Kojak, Dallas and Matlock; dozens of telefilms, including 1987's The Quick and the Dead, starring Sam Elliott; and installments of the 1985 Jackie Collins miniseries Hollywood Wives.

Survivors include his children Rob and Roberta and grandsons Nicholas and Philip.
c***@aol.com
2017-03-22 00:08:03 UTC
Because TV is not a directors medium unlike film. The showrunner creates TV, the director is just a traffic cop.
b***@aol.com
2017-10-11 23:46:21 UTC
Post by CDH
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thetimes-uk/obituary.aspx?n=Robert-Frederick-DAY&pid=184587850
DAY Robert Frederick, British film director, passed away on 17th March 2017, aged 94, on Bainbridge Island, Seattle, USA. Known in the UK for his early films The Green Man, Two Way Stretch and The Rebel, and later for TV series. He leaves to mourn his passing, his son Rob, his daughter Roberta and his grandsons, Nicholas and Philip Simons.
Robert Day was my Dad's cousin making him my second cousin. I would love to be in touch with his family. I have several photos of Robert Day including one of his wedding to his first wife.